Author Topic: Expanded Map  (Read 5340 times)

Expanded Map
« on: July 20, 2020, 04:28:32 pm »
Hey!

Initially, I joined here trying to get in contact with the dev team in interest of asking permission to share an edited version of their excellent expanded map I've been using for a GURPS based Fallout game I've been running for some time now, as I thought it might be useful for others that might want to do something similar.

However, when I saw that people before have shared similarly edited versions of their maps here, I thought I might as well put it up here. Since the game is still ongoing, if anyone has any input on it, feel free to tell me. ("You fool! That's not even close to the shape of the Rocky Mountains!" is welcome, I've been struggling to find proper geographical, road and train maps that share projection with classic fallout)

On a final note, in case someone on the dev team sees this, I'd like to ask two quick questions:
1) Would you mind if I shared this map elsewhere?
2) If I shared it, who should I give credit to? Based on the fact that DocAn uploaded it initially to the wiki, I'm assuming they've done the great work merging the maps initially, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Lexx clarified this, and was the original creator of the mergers.

Hypocritical double final note: In case anyone wants it and the devs don't mind, I could also share the GIMP file that has the full project in it as I'm expanding the map/touching it up over time, though I'd have to do it over a file sharing site given its size.
EDIT: Since someone has requested it, I'm linking here the GIMP file via Google Drive. For the moment it's not being worked on, but in future it might get updates.
Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGznjRiKvClwUUSkBugQhdzyksCbnpXU/view?usp=sharing

The base map. Its limits are the Northern border of California, the Southern border of Arizona, the Eastern border of Colorado, and finally the western shoreline.

Extra info for the basic map. This one includes major Pre-War roads (Green) and Railways (Red), both based on real life road maps and railways.

Faction map, as of Febuary 2162 in my campaign. It wouldn't mean much to anyone outside of the game, but I had it, so thought I might as well share it.

Snapshot of the full project. Not pictured are overlays for railroads, topography, highways, etc.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:09:17 pm by Ictiv »

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: Expanded Map
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 12:01:43 pm »
I made the original Fo1+Fo2 map back in the days. You can use, modify, and release it in whatever way you want to.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:50:54 pm »
Ah, thank you very much for the permission and the clarification!

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:49:45 am »
PS: I feel kinda stupid for not basing our ingame railway on the real life railroads. No fucking clue why I wasn't thinking about this.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 06:45:17 pm »
To be fair, it might have been the right call.

It's a pain in the ass to find a map that actually shares projection with the Fallout 1-2 maps, since it's one of the few projections that actually has both the northern and southern border appear straight, and generally maps with useful information bend along with the globe.

A ton of the roads and railroads I added in by hand after consulting Google Maps since they wouldn't show up on the maps of the correct projections.

That being said, since there's roughly 130 years of divergence between Fallout's split and the Great War, I think the places you put the railroads are perfectly fine. I'm sticking so much to the real world because while running the GURPS game it's neat to sometimes just open up google maps, jump into Street View on whatever highway/road the party is planning to travel on next few sessions, and find interesting locations I can turn into mini-encounters, locations of ambushes, etc. For all intents and purposes, the U.S. could have revamped half its infrastructure by 2077, especially with how the fuel industry collapsed.