Author Topic: Fonline 2238 Early source request (2009-2010)  (Read 6695 times)

Offline NarrowMinded

• To survive we must technofy and save the biosphere
Fonline 2238 Early source request (2009-2010)
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:04:04 am »
Hello Rotators, hello everyone. I would like to know if you saved the state of the server during this period and if you could release it.

For me it was the best fonline period. I think it had around 400-500 players... I don't know the exact year or months but I remember two major sessions. I will try to give you many details so you can know more accurately the sources from what period I am looking for.

*One where you could take all drugs twice, wasn't able to zoom in or zoom out. Of course no bindings for super stimpaks, aiming etc. Maximum level 21 !!!

*A little bit after one where you could take drugs only one time, I remember that the NCR map was not enlarged at this time. NCR was very populated ! Stealing was very used, we were able to steal BoS patrols. We were able to loot from BoS vs Mutants encounters. Maximum HPs were around 250 ! Starting HPs on a new character were around 30. Maximum level 21 !!! You still needed 3 charisma to talk to traders and most NPCs and to carry 2 players. 21 level build system.
Cooldown on crafting, cooldown to change characters (3 minutes) You could not add players to your tent after it was created.
Devs/Game masters tested people connected on same ip adress to see if they were multi logging or if it was just different players playing at the same place !
Rusty the GM had fun jumping in frog at NCR from time to time instead of managing the server (sorry Rusty). A player named "Larry Rotgut" used to afk in NCR 24/7. Awareness took a perk slot. Brotherhoood armor was the best armor you could craft/obtain normally and not CAmk2. You could win caps by putting them into FLCs banks with interests ( I remember the day when you stopped this and I lost 6 millions, now I don't trust banks irl)

PS : I don't think Hinkley existed during that time.

Period I am NOT interested in : Enlarged NCR, helmets, LSW nerf, Gatling laser buff (aka 666 crit one shot), M60 walking, Increased starting and max HPs, fast relog waves in PvP ( fast relog allowed), rollbacks period/slow server, maximum level 24, TC reputation system,

I can be wrong about the year since it was long time ago and I only use my memory but I really hope these states of the server is not LOST...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:29:38 am by NarrowMinded »
Go ahead, make my day.

Offline kompreSor

• FOnline 3
Re: Fonline 2238 Early source request (2009-2010)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 12:35:04 pm »
as i remember somebody already ask for it and answer was no saved old source, nostalgia its good but only for few days...

there was short project to make 2238 back to 3rd season: https://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,29812.0.html

Offline NarrowMinded

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:44:13 pm »
Hello, thank you kompreSor.

edit : I have read the Sega_rus posts..but unfortunately he didn't post any source or anything I/we could use.
I will try to contact him personally later. Until then I am still searching.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:54:48 pm by NarrowMinded »
Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 03:27:35 pm »
You'll need to take the latest 2238 code and just remove/make the changes you want until it's like you want. Please don't think that you can build a time machine from this and that there will be 500 players on the server all of sudden because you've restored some earlier mythical version, maybe focus on building something new with the tools and knowledge of today?

Like kompreSor said, nostalgia is powerful but you may ruin your memories if you think you can go back to 2009, a lot has changed in 10 years since then... as an example, most forums are dying, IRC is dying everyone is on discord etc, smartphones was hardly a thing back then.

Offline NarrowMinded

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 04:22:23 pm »
Thank you Ghosthack, so I have got my answer. There is no save...
And I understood your point :)

Edit : I am thinking about it and I had a question, during that period when you made updates. You had some kind of saves right ? To be able to roll back and come back to the previous state of the server. Did you delete these archives later or what happened ? I stated myself "there is no save" but in your message you're not directly saying it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:47:59 pm by NarrowMinded »
Go ahead, make my day.

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:00:30 pm »
Thank you Ghosthack, so I have got my answer. There is no save...
And I understood your point :)

Edit : I am thinking about it and I had a question, during that period when you made updates. You had some kind of saves right ? To be able to roll back and come back to the previous state of the server. Did you delete these archives later or what happened ? I stated myself "there is no save" but in your message you're not directly saying it.

Well, when it comes to saving state in FOnline server, there's two things, one thing is character save, those are saved as one file per character, and then there's the world save. To be able to read those, you need to use a compatible server version, and different server versions works differently with different scripts/dialogs/maps etc because of new features, bug fixes, deprecated stuff etc. Basically, if you saved state in one version from 2009 and try open it in 2238 from 2012, it's not gonna work, because a lot of things have been changed in the meantime.

We did use version control (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion) to be able to rollback source code and track changes, but you also need to have the correct version of client binaries/files and server binary for the script code. Also keep in mind that the data formats has been changed along the way, so that for example old maps and old dialogs need a specific version of server and tools to work. That's why it's usually called development environment, it all goes together...

Rollback in the sense of state rollback was very seldom done deliberately, usually it was because of a crash in the server, and then we just restarted the server without any changes. I think we did rollback once or twice because of some huge exploits, still the only code changes you'd have then were small bug fixes for that exploit, everything else would be the same.

I hope I'm making sense... kinda hard to explain since I don't know how much experience you have with these things.

As a side note, we may have some backup/saves from when the game was shutdown in 2013 (running on the same code as what we released to the public), but not any other time.

Offline NarrowMinded

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 06:30:51 pm »
Perfectly clear, thanks again Ghosthack for answering so QUICKLY and for taking the time to do it well !
Have a nice day.
Go ahead, make my day.