Author Topic: Convert .map to .fomap  (Read 7612 times)

Convert .map to .fomap
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:44:30 pm »
Hi guys. So i need to convert .map to .fomap. Any ideas?

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
Re: Convert .map to .fomap
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 10:03:21 am »
You want the original maps? https://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,29370.0.html

You can follow the below steps to do it in general. I'm not sure about how to get it to latest SDK version though if that's what you want...

Quote from: cubik2k/Kilgore
Maps were taken from the original Fallout 1 master.dat file. Each map was opened and saved by following mappers:
- Dim's mapper
- FOnline mapper 1.17
- FOnline mapper 1.22.5
- FOnline mapper 1.24.11
- FOnline mapper 1.25.25
- FOnline mapper 1.32.2

No further changes were made to the maps. To be able to use them with FOnline SDK, they have to be reworked first.

Critters are not compatible with FOnline SDK critter prototypes.

If you don't see the map after loading, first zoom out as far as you can, then try to scroll a bit left-down.

Fallout 1 master.dat contains also encounters map with a caravan object inside. They were not included in the package.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 10:26:39 am »
Thanks for guide. I need to convert E.P.A map from mod to use it on server. Server revision is 371, so where i can get all these mappers? And where i can download all SDK revisions?

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 11:50:34 am »
SDK repository is here: https://xp-dev.com/sc/76003/799
Last parameter in the URL is the revision (799). Easiest is to checkout the repository with some subversion client and simply take the different mapper binaries for different versions. I think they generate a logfile on startup where you can see the version number.

The mappar itself is in https://xp-dev.com/sc/76003/799/%2FBinaries%2FMapper although it's been moved around a bit and you may find it somewhere else in older revs.

As for which SDK revisions correspond to which mapper versions, I don't know, it was not documented in the quoted text but Kilgore, cubik or someone else may have this info somewhere... wish this was fresh in my head but it was couple of years since I last played around with the mapper  :-\

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 04:11:44 pm »
Thanks for guide. I need to convert E.P.A map from mod to use it on server.
I tried to convert EPA location from Killap's RP 2.1.2b and it's a lot of work. The most of sceneries, walls and some item must be moved to new format by hand - remove in dims, add new prototypes to FOnline SDK, add manually them to map after successfully conversion.
There're always some problems with map conversions from mods for Fallout 2 but this one location is really hard to convert. I think it will take 2-4 weeks for experienced mapper with conversion skills to finish it.
Here you have some my scanned notes with it (I didn't finish the conversion of this location). There's a lot of pids to move manually and I just left it for later (10 months ago).
Good luck!

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 06:48:42 pm »
Thank's guys. I try to convert it.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 07:46:40 pm »
For sure you'll have problem to load these maps to Mapper 1.4 with this line in log
Code: [Select]
CProtoMap::ReadObjectsOld - proto not find, pid<3963>but with different pid number.
Solution is here:
https://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,29534.msg262185.html#msg262185

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 08:22:24 pm »
Can someone upload these map files here? I will take a look what is going on.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 08:16:58 pm »
These are in Restoration Project:
EPASL
epax

and probably some other map files.

P.S.
I can upload these in saturday.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 06:06:04 pm »
Thank you very much. I am going to download files which you provided and I will check how this was made.