Author Topic: When will CVET gib source?  (Read 6420 times)

When will CVET gib source?
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:07:21 am »
?????????????????????????????????

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: When will CVET gib source?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 02:50:01 pm »
Well, tell me if FOnline Engine is still in development or not because what we can see from official repository, there are not any updates at all.

https://xp-dev.com/sc/76003/HEAD/

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 03:58:09 pm »
why you want fix for engine? is not good enough as delivered on xp dev? you think needs improvement? then maybe you find job with coder of belarus! you have drinks with cvettinsky, trade story of many scripts written and details of school for programming.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 04:37:39 pm »
he is busy with developing other games and noone else cares about FOnline anyway

and noone is using new revisions

time to fix 412

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 11:18:00 pm »

time to fix 412

Sad but true, all the tools created for older revs are incompatible since he changed all the file formats so even less reason to move to newer revs.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:32:25 am »
THIS->

time to fix 412

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 01:38:03 pm »
time to fix 412
I think that's exactly what OP wants to do ;)
Games are meant to be created, not played...

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 12:10:35 pm »
As i know at least few teams deving on fresh revisions, it just takes time to release something.
Old sdk was like "ready game from the box" and new one lacks ready content, so you wont see "new fonline server" anouncement every day.

time to fix 412
412 was pretty good, still it have so much major engine hardcoded bugs and exploits, so fixing it just waste of time.

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 06:07:04 pm »
have so much major engine hardcoded bugs and exploits, so fixing it just waste of time.
r412 would be a great starting point for, you know, fixing things and making engine more friendly to devs who wants to add new shiny stuff in.
At this point most interested people are already familiar with all its goods and bads, so they know exactly which parts need changes. Making it actually usuable by focusing on mentioned bugs and exploits might feel like a waste of time at start, but it would pay off once you have stable server/client. Actual maintaining, which often has been skipped in past :)

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 06:19:15 pm »
As i know at least few teams deving on fresh revisions, it just takes time to release something.
Old sdk was like "ready game from the box" and new one lacks ready content, so you wont see "new fonline server" anouncement every day.

Can you say more about those mods or games which you wrote? What kinds of projects? Where can we find out more about current games based on fonline engine?

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 01:36:50 pm »
Is there an option to make other branch than master from rev 412 and start putting there fixes, missing functions, etc when these will be listed here?

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 03:42:23 pm »
Are there any Discord or place where can anybody talk with main creators of the engine?

I think remake posted a great suggestion but I can not understand why still in 2018 year still the engine and stuff related to that are not well maintaned. I think open source fork would be good idea to make some progress and maybe do not fight separately on things which could be done quicker by co-op.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 10:28:18 pm »
There is whole forum focused on FOnline development - http://fonline.ru/forum/
So you really no need to "fight separately on things which could be done quicker by co-op".

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 08:19:05 pm »
A lot of people don't know russian language and link to the english forum follows here, to fodev.net.

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 07:36:04 pm »
I can not understand why still in 2018 year still the engine and stuff related to that are not well maintaned.
There's nobody but cvet to maintain it, or so i think. I don't know details about deal with Last Frontier publisher back then, but one of points i know about was to cut any third party from accessing engine source. What happened next is just a wild guess, but some of us still checked public sdk commitlog from time to time, and it still was looking like cvet is working on source alone - or there are new people but old source policies are still in place, making progress slower than it could be (at least in theory).

I think open source fork would be good idea to make some progress
I don't believe that's ever gonna happen, as long Last Frontier (or its corpse ;)) is around.
What could work, at least from perspective of someone who worked with engine in past, is...
  • Source snaphshot handed to single person/team, which from that point is completly on its own
  • No commits history/further updates/support from cvet
  • Source have to stay closed source, only binaries can be released
  • Protocol must be incompatibile with FOnline (different versioning, modified login sequence, different UID calculations, changed default seeds, etc.)
  • Server state files (worldsave, characters, compiled maps, scripts) must be incompatile with FOnline
  • Let's pray to gods it's glorious r412 which is best only sane option for both:
    • Long-running servers
      Amount of changes in newer revisions is overwhelming even for experience devs, and would require looong crunchtime just to make it work as it is now, without any gameplay changes
    • New servers
      Messy or not, r412 still being bundled with TLA content is goddamn useful for making your own vision alive, as you have ton of utils and examples with ready-to-tune implementation. It's unholy mess, sure, but quite few servers was born thanks to that
...as starting point. And yeah, it's a rough draft for community edition, not fork. There was a chance for open source long time ago, but it didn't happen then, and with it won't happen now; i'd love to see cvet proving me wrong, but that's simply unreal in my eyes.

Now you "only" need to know if cvet can/want to give away source from before Last Frontier deal, find person(s) who are able and willing to deal with engine and just wait for glorious patches and updates. Shouldn't be hard, right? ;)