Author Topic: How to add new weapon sounds?  (Read 4094 times)

How to add new weapon sounds?
« on: March 04, 2018, 06:10:19 pm »
In the ObjectEditor i have an option called "Sound ID", but i can only (i guess) input numbers. I searched through the SDK and i found no definitons regarding Sound IDs.

I added a new weapon to the game and i'd like it to have a custom sound effect when fired. How do i do it?

Re: How to add new weapon sounds?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:46:20 pm »
The SoundId is an ASCII keys code sheet number ( basically an id for a sound ).
Try opening your _defines.fos file and search for this line  " // Weapon <Type Subtype SoundId SoundIdExt X X X [Random 1 or 2]> ". There should be some explanation to the sound system, as I get it, to add your own sounds you have to create a file named properly according to the defined keys in this section. When i was checking it out, i've managed to create a new sound with name like this WAP1XXX1.ogg = Weapon Use ID(80 in ASCII) something xxx( ? ? ? ) 1(random 1 - 2, for diversity, I guess). Place your named file in data/sound/SFX folder or fallout.dat/data/sound/SFX(client side), this should do the trick. And to be honest i did'nt made it all the way though, and I have a question aswell, is this formatting limited to 128/256 unique sounds for each sound type ? I could'nt find what those " X X X " and "SoundIdExt" are there for :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:58:08 pm by Vice Dice »

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:48:32 pm »
could'nt find what those " X X X " and "SoundIdExt" are there for :(
SoundIdExt is additional data about sound and what it represent depends on sound type. In case of weapons, see 'a bit of theory'.

Xs are to keep all filenames with same length, and in case of wepons it's most likely leftovers from changes during Fallout development, or pushed at the end in case of future changes. But. Your guesses are as good as mine, only Interplay devs can answer it correctly :)

I'd recommend searching Fallout-related resources when it comes to ACM sounds, as FOnline never was nor will be to able to introduce any changes in that area without breaking everything.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:55:32 pm by Wipe »
Games are meant to be created, not played...

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:40:53 pm »
i have tried adding a new sound and i concluded the following:
-other extensions than .acm are not working
-weapon ids A-Z and 1-9 are already used by the game, also some symbols like $ and #
-adding new weapon ids like WA'1XXX.acm won't work (renaming old ones wont work either)
-there are some unused sound files for swords
-conversion from anything to .acm is a nightmare
-i have literally wasted 2 days on trying to do this

shame that even a simple task like adding a new weapon sound takes tons of effort and needs workarounds. i guess my last bet is to play the sound via script whenever the gun is fired. Or by replacing the unused sounds and using their ID.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 09:12:10 am »
Welcome to the world of classic Fallout sfx modding. :>

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:23:07 am »
ask cirn from ashes of phoenix how to use https://www.fmod.com/ on fonline engine
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 01:46:51 am by FrankenStone »