Author Topic: 100 years plan - Call to keyboards.  (Read 19545 times)

Offline Slowhand

• Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!
Re: 100 years plan - Call to keyboards.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 01:47:45 am »
great posts. I would love to assist in any way. I believe that right now the development needs to be streamlined. People wishing to contribute should have an easier to use mapmaker + quest + characters + items all in one program.

I believe for this to get more support, we need to start a repository or list of repositories.

I don't know if that streamlining is required.

Agree on the repo, I wanted to set one up when I finished the quest tracker, but might do it sooner.

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 03:16:12 pm »
I don't know if that streamlining is required.

Agree on the repo, I wanted to set one up when I finished the quest tracker, but might do it sooner.

Looking forward to it Slowhand. It would be nice to get some better documentation in the future.

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 01:00:14 pm »
Anything new?

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 07:46:55 pm »
No, sorry, I didn't have time to do stuff related. I'll have a break in april soonest..

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 06:22:27 pm »
I would like to ask if you started doing some work for this amazing and demand project? Do you work alone? Do you need some feedback?

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 02:47:04 am »
Hi, sorry for the long absence.

To answer some questions, I have not set up a repo yet and for now I believe the best way to progress with this, is not via a centralized repo. It would take much management from people, but rather keep the spirit and publish well separated modules that can be used by the FOnline community.

I'll make the groundwork for windows myself, it's still in a half finished state, not usable atm, other than hacking, and lacking a lot of functionality.

The other parts can be separated, anyone can make something they think it's usefull and free source it to the community, as we have seen, this have been very popular lately. Just find something you agree on and do it. Gather ideas on server forums, in-game if you are playing, on discord.

Until we have a 2238 based source on FOclassic, use your own repos, I'll use Reloaded v2 for convenience. However, the aim is to make use of FOclassic and it's features, so any work that even theoretically makes use of some features is good.

So basically:
1. Find something usefull from the list or your own idea for improvement that you think the FOnline gaming community would benefit of.
2. Talk with people about it, and refine your idea.
3. Implement it
4. Publish it
5. Write a post explaining how to use, or add your module, change, w/e you made.

I know this sounds more like a Guerilla fight, but the aim here is not to create a new and better FOnline server, but to give tools, content, fixes or improvements to both already existing and new ones. More like steering stuff in the direction of modern games, with good old fallout spice, and the weapon of choise being 'publishing free content/enhancement that are good enough not to get ignored'.

This does not have to be related to scripts and interface only. Maps and stories (completed work) should be shared as well. Let's say you create a random encounter, or a complex quest line that can be easily added to an NPC in a public location. If you do that, independently, and add the information in whatever way you choose for people to add this to their servers, you are helping them a lot. I see no reason that a good questline should be used on one server but not on the others. There are enough differences - in combat, progression, story lines, loot system, map/world layout you name it - between the servers already, ideally one should should consider one server over the other, based on this, rather then questing content or how interfaces look.

This is a long shot. I know everyone has a different motivation level, I usually work like 1-2 months a year on FOnline, and when I have a longer module, I am not able to finish it, like last time, but for example consider the Black Jack module I wrote a while ago. It took a few weeks/months to do, half a year to a year to be added to any of the servers. But theoretically speaking, why should one server have this, and another not? Or better asked, why should a player who enjoys one server more, be able to steam off their gambling addictions in-game, while another not?

The biggest risk here, is that what you make, no server will addapt. That will happen eventually, but good work, that is well separated and not based on a specific server's system, well documented or rather easy to integrate, will probably get added sooner or later.

To the list I think I will have to add interfaces -> account management, where one would log in with same account, be able to select from multiple alts on that account, have an email registered to this account in case they forgot their passwords. This shit happened a lot, and I think there is no common system for it.

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 03:20:37 am »
Maps/Stories required:

1. Starting zone

The game story has to be lateral as well, not just deep. Meaning, some choices you make, would exclude some quests. This could be started with tutorial quest based on character creation. For example, the 2 traits and 3 skill tags you take (assuming here most servers havent changed that) would define a start location as a tutorial how to play the game. You would be able to exit this location only once you complete the quests for these 3 skill tag checks.

So the maps have to be generic, large enough but not to large, with multi map zones (so player learns to use the grid as well) with the following themes:

1 bigger map, 3 side maps, different size, one being a cave or other combat area, others being for exploration.

- Junktown like encampment, with surroudning are like a cave (if you played reloaded, something similar to Lander's Point)
- Inside of a vault, with a cave system, similar to Fallout 1 start zone. Nothing that suggest high tech like Power Armor, just regular stuff.
- Tribal encampment, with hunting grounds, brahmin, vegetable fields, etc.
- Nuclear waste factory, similar design to Gun Runners

2. Moba kind of map (League of Legens, DotA, etc)

Different themes, layouts, some better for sniping, some better for melee, but in general more or less balanced between close combat and range.
- Big maps
- Circular, as you can go around in a circle, go throught middle, but there should be path that are more or less covered
- Space to lay down traps, or have melee fighters as advantage
- 2 bases situated either Top Left vs Bottom Right, or Top Right vs Bottom Left.
- Theme of 2 bases fitting current lore, for example Enclave vs BHS, Gun Runners vs SomeoneHelpMeOutWithLoreHere, Junktown vs Necropolis, Gecko vs Vault City, Red Chineese vs Blue Chinees, and so one.

For 2. we will still need to figure out, how to make a proper moba game, this will take ages, but it would contribute a lot to the modernisation of the game due to various and very trivial reasons.

If you want to contribute, make maps public on these forums by posting in share your work forum section, pm me, I'll add the forum post link to a list I yet have to set up :)

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:47 am »
My bad. Just seen this project. Since i am back to work on last breath, i will share my work for this project, to everyone. As soon as 3d and other content will work i ll create à public repo.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 05:20:08 pm »
Sounds great!

I think keys to success are tools which help creating that kind of content and they are also very important. Fortunately cvet will do something great if he completed milestones of his fonline version. I really like idea about repacing AngelScript to C#, new multifunctional editor (mapper, dialogs, items, critters, GUI tools) and basically all that engine related magic. I hope all or atleast some of these features will be introduced in FOClassic as well.

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 06:18:31 am »
Changing scripting language is just another of "cool for new projects, overwhelming for running servers" changes so it won't happen.
Games are meant to be created, not played...

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 03:15:06 pm »
Changing scripting language is just another of "cool for new projects, overwhelming for running servers" changes so it won't happen.

:thumbs up:

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2020, 07:38:02 pm »
https://github.com/Sasabmeg/FOnline-BraveNewWorld/tree/dev - I use this repo to publish stuff that I managed to implement.

Here is a demo of features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdeU7yB6qmw&feature=youtu.be

Quest tracker with Pip-boy update - Done, the only thing left to do, maybe, is if a quest has a timer, to add it to pip-boy.

Message Box - updated to a level where players can filter text with Message Tabs, allowing them to show only Faction chat for example. (Faction chat has been added) There are options to show/hide timestamps, show/hide the chat tabs.
Still need to be done: Separate from action bar (weapon/AP etc), Move, Resize, Direct Messages, Global message (players need ignore list first), Chat Tab blinking notification on chat tab if new Faction chat or Direct Message happened while other chat tab active.

Global chat vs Radio 0:

There are several problems with Radio 0 being the global chat, the biggest one is that new players would feel the world to be totally empty, as they don't even know about the Radio system. The second biggest one is player identification, if you use a radio channel with your friends to communicate, you'll have to type your name before every line if you are more than 2 of you. Also a problem of Radio 0, for trolls that is a feature ofc. It simply doesn't work, just people just used personal discord/TS even for text.
For Direct Messages and even Global Chat to work, one needs to be able to keep an ignore list, just in case of spammers, which is not the case in Radio 0, where one can just turn it off.

Item Highlighter - Press W to toggle, it will show items on ground and some harvestable tree's or old computers. Mostly so community doesn't need to resort to interface hacks while cave hunting. It was also useful to show hidden bugs in maps.

Modern Mouse behaviour - Right click move, Q = mouse default, A = attack, M = move. Ctrl + F1 change back to legacy mouse.

Text font change while in game - Pip-boy, Message Box, Dialogs and even Fix-boy, support font increase/decrease with Ctrl + MWheelup/down.

Jinxed Jack interface - an old interface named JJ was reworked to replace the legacy interface. It was modified to support features above.

Fix-boy - small update on coloring, orange means that you have the mats, but need either tools or workbench. It will also show a number, which is the total you could craft with the mats you have.

Inventory Tracker - a cool feature, but fully bugged atm and can be turned off with Ctrl + I. Sometimes its useful though. Todo: fix bugs.