Author Topic: Client-side modding?  (Read 2634 times)

Client-side modding?
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:01:43 am »
Hi folks!

I found a lot of server-side info here, but I'm not very interested in it. I would rather write nice scripts for the client. I hope the client would have some primitive API and documentation for it. Or other scripting opportunities. Preferably something open-sided, so I wouldn't need to compile the whole client just to check my code.

If you could point me in the right direction where I could learn a bit about fonline client modding.

Thanks!

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
Re: Client-side modding?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 05:17:36 pm »
Hi!

Client scripts are sent to the client by the server in a compiled bytecode format. It's not really meant to be modified by the players but that doesn't mean it's not possible if you are determined. It does require some hooking of AngelScript code to load your own scripts or simply bypass scripting by using DLL injection and calling the native functions in the client, and could be considered cheating by some servers/games. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not very experienced with FOnline development. Here's an example of this approach.

cirn0 from the Ashes of Phoenix team has been doing some really interesting stuff with this type of modding, like changing audio playback in the client without having access to source code.

interface mods however are fairly easy to create, there's quite a few of those here and you can find newer ones on Reloaded or FOnline 2 forums I guess.

Offline kompreSor

• FOnline 3
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:53:22 pm »
also there is effect files to modding with some work game can looks totally diffrent:

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 07:27:54 pm »
Ok, I thought so. A pity. I'll switch to the server-side development for now then.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:08:49 pm »
Guys, I noticed that some people (me included) have troubles seeing the brown exit grid on some backgrounds during some time of the day.

It can be quite frustrating, so I just want to replace thetexture on the client side to have there something bright pink and solid. Where's that texture? How do I find it or what file would override it?

Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:37:13 pm »
fallout.dat /art/misc

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 08:27:15 pm »
I don't know how to open the .dat. Can you tell me that or just the filename in the misc so I would know what to override

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:57:03 pm »