Author Topic: Captcha is Difficult  (Read 13208 times)

Offline Vanburen

• A remake of Interplay's canceled Fallout 3 by fans
    • Facebook
Captcha is Difficult
« on: November 19, 2016, 12:59:50 am »
Sorry for such a mundane complaint, but does anyone else have difficulty with the comment verification on this site? Things like Captcha have never given me trouble before... but it must take me three or four tries to post comments correctly.  ???
The Van Buren Team

Re: Captcha is Difficult
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:14:44 am »
Hmmm, why are you forced to do captcha every time? Strange for me.

Offline Slowhand

• Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:59:51 pm »
I keep myself logged in, and have no such trouble anymore.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:06:07 am »
I have to agree. These CAPTCHA images are the hardest I've ever seen on any website I've ever used. And it's making me do them even though I'm logged in and verified the account. :(

Did fodev.net used to have a massive spammer problem or something? Why do we need a CAPTCHA in addition to the Drug questions? It would seem one or the other would be sufficient.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 01:11:03 pm »
Someone likely teached their bot what the answers to the questions are, that's why the normal captcha exists as well. It was set to extreme because shit didn't stop spamming. No idea if we could(n't) try to lower it again now.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 07:37:17 pm »
It asks me to input the captcha every time I leave a message, check this out:

No wonder it's difficult for new people to start developing :) LOL

The captcha is tremendously ugly. I can never recognize it. I just listen to it. Audio is bad, but recognizable. This forum is the only place I ever have been forced to listen to a captcha. And it makes no sense to type "Mentats" every time.

Hope someone will remove it asap.

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:51:06 am »
I lowered the captcha difficulty by 1.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 03:50:46 pm »
"The name of trapper town in Fallout 2"... Who the hell is trapper? Ah, ok, it's Trapper Town (whatever it is).
You did not answer the verification questions correctly.
Complete verification details
Damn, so it's actually not a Trapper Town but Klamath (whatever it means).

Forcing non-English users to use google before each post seems weird of my. And not obvious captcha on top of that? I get it that spam bots are problematic, but punishing normal posters with this? I never, ever seen such system implemented on any other board. It's usually there only when forum allows guest posting (without registration).

I keep myself logged in, and have no such trouble anymore.
I keep myself logged in all the time and have this problem.

edit: the question that I'm forced to answer before the next post is even better: "The name of mining town without super mutants in Fallout 2". Like, forget it, I don't even know what to look for in google. I played Fallout 2 to completion years ago and don't remember such silly details.

edit2: I'm not going to find answear for the newest question (again different, again something that only Fallout fanatics would know) in order to be allowed to post, so I will just edit this one.

Ghosthack, if the first result in google (after typing the exact question) is the correct answer than the whole system is useless either way, since that's how bots most likely bypass such protections.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:22:53 pm by K4thos »

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »
edit: the question that I'm forced to answer before the next post is even better: "The name of mining town without super mutants in Fallout 2". Like, forget it, I don't even know what to look for in google. I played Fallout 2 to completion years ago and don't remember such silly details.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mining+town+without+mutants+fallout+2

Also, I wouldn't say it's a silly detail, but ok. We had an enormous amount of spam before adding this captcha system to the forum, it seems like mostly it's not been a problem to most visitors, majority of them are not native english speakers, but perhaps we can simplify if it a bit and see if there's less spam (I doubt it).

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 08:38:58 pm »
The problem with captcha and Fallout lore questions been present all the time no longer affects me. It looks like the forum validate the user after 5 posts. It may be a good idea to change it to 1 or 2 posts in forum settings, imo.

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:53 am »
The problem with captcha and Fallout lore questions been present all the time no longer affects me. It looks like the forum validate the user after 5 posts. It may be a good idea to change it to 1 or 2 posts in forum settings, imo.

Correct, it's 5. I'm lowering it to 2.

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 12:15:35 am »
Ghosthack, if the first result in google (after typing the exact question) is the correct answer than the whole system is useless either way, since that's how bots most likely bypass such protections.

If you mean the first Google answer to "The name of mining town without super mutants in Fallout 2" then no, Broken Hills is not the correct answer :)

I changed the Trapper Town question, it doesn't require any knowledge anymore :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:40:38 am by JovankaB »