Author Topic: Recreating Fallout animations in Blender  (Read 20557 times)

Offline Slowhand

• Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!
Re: Recreating Fallout animations in Blender
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 08:12:01 pm »
but the question is for what u need a new locker ? mastering 3d modeling just to render it down is painfull.

Hell it is...

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 03:45:37 am »
I found some nicely made tiger somewhere, I thinks it's rotators, bc included in the Reloaded SDK as well as X file, with texture. Made a sample of it, still got trouble with anti aliasing, looks like I will have to write a python script for it, to do the shadows right. Without anti aliasing, the quality is shit (probably will be same when transformed into .frm with palette) but no need to repaint shadows.

I was pointed to the TLA sdk for more stuff :)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:08:06 am by Slowhand »

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• Some random guy
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 08:40:46 am »
I believe those were Van Buren's files.
Back In-Game :D

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 11:45:07 am »
I believe those were Van Buren's files.

Can you point me toward more? Where do I find those?

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2016, 05:45:11 pm »
Ty, I found some nice looking models with textures. After converting them to blender, here are some shots.

Does anyone know anything about these models/textures? Did this community make them? Or Interplay iteself?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:04:18 pm by Slowhand »

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 08:11:16 pm »
That looks nice not sure but I think the model is from Van Buren.
Anyway you have asked how to make the render pixelated. When you use an image as texture in blender, that texture has an Image Sampling where you can set some things. There is a filter settings which by default is Box with filter size 1.00 this blurs the texture a bit.
You can set the filter site to 0.10 that will make your render look more pixelated.

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 08:23:12 pm »
Okay, I will check that, but as I see it, the problem no longer persists, as when the image is very small, to fit fallout size and no AA is used, it gets pixelated by itself. The new problem I had was with the fallout palette, which I tried to set up blender to show in fallout palette colors the render image, but I couldn't. I reached some workaround, but it's not that good, also, I think I will abandon this part.

As for the FOnline engine concerns, the creators shall enhance the engine to support non .frm animations for character animations. As far as I know, it doesn't, the fofrm format exists, but not used at characters.

About the Fallout engine, the point of this was to create more assets for FOnline but I won't do the color palette/dithering in Blender. Probably do that in an external program..

So with this detour of achieving nothing, I'm back on track with animations :)

P.S.: Yes, the character model, texture is from Van Burden, I couldn't extract the animations.

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 08:48:35 pm »
As for the FOnline engine concerns, the creators shall enhance the engine to support non .frm animations for character animations. As far as I know, it doesn't, the fofrm format exists, but not used at characters.
You can use also .spr or .art or .fofrm for animations

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 10:17:27 pm »
.fofrm for character animations? You sure about that?
Games are meant to be created, not played...

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 10:24:39 am »
.fofrm for character animations? You sure about that?
Why not?

At least for animation type !=0 crittertypes.cfg
Code: [Select]
string@ critter_animation( int animType, uint crType, uint anim1, uint anim2, uint& pass, uint& flags, int& ox, int& oy )
{
    return "path/file.fofrm";
}
will change critter to fofrm.

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 02:37:53 pm »
Ah, that damn function... totally forgot about it :P
Games are meant to be created, not played...

Offline KJ

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 06:33:52 pm »
Okay, I will check that, but as I see it, the problem no longer persists, as when the image is very small, to fit fallout size and no AA is used, it gets pixelated by itself. The new problem I had was with the fallout palette, which I tried to set up blender to show in fallout palette colors the render image, but I couldn't. I reached some workaround, but it's not that good, also, I think I will abandon this part.

About the Fallout engine, the point of this was to create more assets for FOnline but I won't do the color palette/dithering in Blender. Probably do that in an external program..

So with this detour of achieving nothing, I'm back on track with animations :)

P.S.: Yes, the character model, texture is from Van Burden, I couldn't extract the animations.
Setting up render in Fallout palette in Blender is impossible, something can be done by Compositing, but it takes more time and effort than writing simple action in Gimp. Do not apply dithering to small graphics like critters.
Fast and simple way to render Fallout critters in Cycles:
Rigged and animated character (I used model from blendswap, with simple steel material)
Blue plane as background and shadowcather
Lamp: sun, size 0, bounces 0,
World: dark gray, no ambient occlusion
Render: resolution of final frame (mine was 42, 72 pix)
animation saved as PNG (you can use BMP's or any image format you like)
Light Patchs: Bounces= 0
Film: Gausian, width=0.01
Render, convert palette without dithering in Gimp, done.

Lamp angle is incorrect and everything is only a quick test.
This dude is big, if you are rendering smaller characters with thin arms and legs you need to hand-paint some pixels, because there's almost no chance that everything it's going to render properly.
PNG without background in Blender Render, it's even less complicated than Cycles version:

Plane with "shadows only" option and transparent background- Shading:Alpha=transparent. No Aniti aliasing. I have shadow-casting sun lamp and hemi lamp for some softer lighting, sky is switched off.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:43:19 pm by KJ »

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2021, 11:42:45 am »
This stuff is really good.