Author Topic: FEV - FOnline (frm) Editor/Viewer - by Slowhand.  (Read 24352 times)

Offline Slowhand

• Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!
FEV - FOnline (frm) Editor/Viewer - by Slowhand.
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:40:48 pm »
LAST UPDATE:
You might need to hold ALT while pressing LEFT, RIGHT, etc. keys to switch frames, files. Added functionality to export whole folder, either single frame frm files or whole animations. In case of animations a new folder with original frm name will be created and all png's will be inside of it.
If you have newer Java installed, like 17+ the old ones may or may not run as single executable jars. Use newest version FEV_v1.6.jar available at project git hub page: https://github.com/Sasabmeg/FEV/blob/master/release/FEV_v1.6.jar .

**************************************************************************************

LAST UPDATE: Fixed single frame and animation exports functions. You can export single animations now.
LINK: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ixt2i2tXXmgODSj0f4YHoIWDomTdZQrX/view
HOW TO RUN: Open console where you downloaded and use the command: java -jar FEV_v1.3_exportfix.jar

Notes: You might need to install JRE on your PC before you can run it, got for latest or Java 8 if possible. ( Install Java )

**************************************************************************************

I'm working on a .frm viewer tool, to practice Java and I am curious if anyone has any wishes for features.

Other methods to run the software: You can recompile the code for your own system, and run it from there, use an eclipse version that support JavaFX. (Neon 4.6+)
To run that you will need to install Java on your PC.

Hotkeys:
  • 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 - Direction change.
  • LEFT, RIGHT - Next/Prev frame in the folder. (Using filter)
  • UP, DOWN - Next/Prev frame in animation.
  • Mouse Scroll over image - Zoom in/out.

Features / TODO list:
  • View
    • Done. View, animate frames in fallout .frm format.
    • Done. Fast iterate through a folder's frm files with buttons or hotkeys.
    • Done. Filter the frm's filename in a folder to iterate through. F.e.: 'hfjmp*.frm' would iterate through the Human Female Vault Jump suited female frame files.
    • Done. Zoom in/out
    • Done. Show/Hide image background.
    • Separate tab page? for thumbnail view of frm's available, filtered by the file mask.
    • Set toggle for the animations/frames to show at a fixed coordinate translated by the offset read from the header/frames so people can use that to check correctness of their imports.
    • IDC. Animations and single frames, shall use the custom palette if that exists along the files (they should have the same name with .pal extension) or load custom palettes.
  • Edit
    • Soon. Be able to edit the current frames parameters and save the frame.
  • Export
    • Done. Exporting the current frame to .bmp / .gif / .png
    • Done. Exporting the palette file, to provide the possible colors to be used later for editing.(256 x 256 pixel, total 256 colors, each color is 16 x 16 square)
    • IDC. Export the color file in the fallout palette format.
    • Done. Exporting the whole animation with one or all directions to a folder
  • Import
    • Import images files with or without palettes into frms, while being able to edit the offset coordinates for each frame.
  • 3D Models
    • Don't expect this yet, maybe in the far future.
  • FRM formats
    • Done. Works with F1 and F2 frame files as long as they don't use a custom palette. Fallout Tactics file formats are totally different and out of scope for this viewer.
    • Make it compatible with the fofrm format used in FOnline engine.
  • Other tasks
    • Done. The source code will be shared and patented with a license (I don't believe in licensing at this point but who knows), that allow for everyone to do whatever they want with it. Still must find the proper patent for that, I think it will be one of copy left or copy center licenses.
  • Known bugs or issues
    • IDC. Zooming with fast resize might fuck up on slower systems, resulting in the zoomed image to not fit into the paint area and overlap on other frames.

Notes:
  • Henry asked for a thumb view.
  • fonliner asked for a function to export frm files to list of images.
  • Balthasar asked for a feature to convert frm's to "normal" image files. I had this in mind already, and will do this definitely. I think I will also add an option to make the palette file, for those who want to edit/copy modify these images, to have the colors they can use. Not sure about the other way around though, from gif's to frm. that would be a frm editor not a simple viewer.
  • Core asked for the editing of images as well, and promised to manipulate some frames if I make it, so I will probably give it a shot. My idea is descriped at the export/import feature list.
  • Kompresor asked for a 32 bit executable.
  • Frankenstone asked for a functionality to animate certain sceneries like barrels, has something to do with colorcycle

Samples:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 10:05:19 am by Slowhand »

Re: Slowhand's Fallout Frame Viewer - Features
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:52:29 pm »
Filtering name files +1. I hate opening files in frm viewer.

Dunno what more you can add, maybe option which makes separate folders for every unpacked frm files, ex. load 10 frm files -> unpack -> 10 folders created, every includes unpacked *.gifs with frm.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »
Hi Slowhand,

some feature to convert from .frm to .gif / .png or .bmp and vice versa would be nice.

Greets B.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 03:42:16 pm »
showing animated frms propperly, maybe make them even editable since some rgb colors from original fallout are hardcoded with some colorcycle to let some stuff look like animated e.g. fire in barrel , goo etc. with other editors u always get white or blank pixels from those hardcoded colors and u cant tell which pixel is what rgb color.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/cycling-colors-frm-editor.195375/

i think fonline does handle this thing the same way, even tho im unsure if it reads the rgb values from the exe, but still it would be nice to have a frm viewer who will show even the animated (cycled) pixels propperly.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:49:36 pm by FrankenStone »

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 07:50:30 pm »
Looks good so far :)

Source coming up soon.. (not that anyone cares for Java code)

I do :)

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »
showing animated frms propperly, maybe make them even editable since some rgb colors from original fallout are hardcoded with some colorcycle to let some stuff look like animated e.g. fire in barrel , goo etc. with other editors u always get white or blank pixels from those hardcoded colors and u cant tell which pixel is what rgb color.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/cycling-colors-frm-editor.195375/

i think fonline does handle this thing the same way, even tho im unsure if it reads the rgb values from the exe, but still it would be nice to have a frm viewer who will show even the animated (cycled) pixels propperly.

Point to frm file in the original fallout dat or fonline engine that has this problem and I will check if I can solve it. So far I have not encountered such problems. Currently it cannot show frames with custom palette files properly, but working on it, however these frames are not animated, just loading/end screen pictures.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 06:26:28 pm »
just try to load the barrel with the animated fire for example...

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 07:02:27 pm »
Point to frm file in the original fallout dat or fonline engine that has this problem and I will check if I can solve it.

This? /art/scenery/barrel.frm - Does not have any animation, single frame only, there is nothing to do about that.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »
This? /art/scenery/barrel.frm - Does not have any animation, single frame only, there is nothing to do about that.

maaaan u didnt understand , colorcycle , look at empty space ... can u make it showable ? all u need is animated color indexes so it could show first color from pixel from cycle , i think the values are somewhere written down on fallout wikia by team fife w.e. ... otherwise frm browser wont do anything new which others cant do :p

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:14:26 pm by FrankenStone »

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 03:56:56 pm »
... otherwise frm browser wont do anything new which others cant do :p

I got no trouble with that, I didn't even check out other frm browsers :P however I will look into this animated barrel thing, as I did not find any animated barrels in the dat files so far. If it can be solved easily I'll do it, else, I'll move on to more useful features, like editing and creating frm files.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:43:20 pm by Slowhand »

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
Re: FEV - FOnline (frm) Editor/Viewer - by Slowhand.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 08:18:30 pm »
Barrel animation is made with color cycling technique.

Some colors in Fallout palette are hardcoded (that's why they appear white, because they are not in the PAL file).

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Pal_animations

These colors are used to make simple animations like fire, waves etc. Let's say we have a pixel with color index 229, the next frame it's changed to color 230, then 231, then 232 and then 229 again.

So you would have to generate all necessary frames yourself.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:22:20 pm by JovankaB »

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 02:19:04 pm »
Barrel animation is made with color cycling technique.

Some colors in Fallout palette are hardcoded (that's why they appear white, because they are not in the PAL file).

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Pal_animations

These colors are used to make simple animations like fire, waves etc. Let's say we have a pixel with color index 229, the next frame it's changed to color 230, then 231, then 232 and then 229 again.

So you would have to generate all necessary frames yourself.

Color cycling is done. Not perfect, but should do the trick. I don't find it very useful, but hey, wasn't hard.

Next step will adding support for fofrm files, so it can live up to it's name. Then importing from images and creating frames with offsets, etc.

Offline kompreSor

• FOnline 3
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »
when 32 bit version?

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 04:36:22 pm »
when 32 bit version?

Oh, lol, I totally forgot about that... I'll check what I can do.

edit: Looks it will have to a wait a few weeks, till I can release a 32 bit Windows exe, since I won't work on it next week at all.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:59:50 pm by Slowhand »

Offline Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 05:44:00 pm »
Very nice.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!