Author Topic: Fonline Origins  (Read 36179 times)

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: Fonline Origins
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 06:44:34 am »
Wise man had spoken.

Never thought I'd ever read this. :>

A bit off topic, but back in the days someone made a pokemon fake and posted it here. While I've never been a fan of pokemon, it still sounded like a cool idea to do something like this in the FOnline engine.

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 08:59:34 am »
I saw somewhere mod for Fallout 2 with My little ponys. Same level of cooliness like pokemons in fonline. Strange, even horrible, but innovative. For sure far more innovative than another server based on good old 2238 source and even more good and old fallout environment, but with big dose of "new" guns (AoP style), "new" vehicles (fallout tactics, van buren), "new" critters (fallout 3), "new" features known from other servers...

Offline kompreSor

• FOnline 3
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 03:20:59 pm »
Never thought I'd ever read this. :>

A bit off topic, but back in the days someone made a pokemon fake and posted it here. While I've never been a fan of pokemon, it still sounded like a cool idea to do something like this in the FOnline engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIPWDTixabg

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 05:00:44 pm »
haha " I've been around for a while and I'd like to ask you guys a question" Wichur you should say "Im always around " xD I can find you easily on every fonline forum, maybe thats why you cant finnish your game because you spend a lot of time for adding new respond btw guys dont worried about our games like we said before we want connect all good ideas from other servers even new races doesnt destroy our concept.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2016, 05:44:02 pm »

Offline Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2016, 10:39:50 pm »
haha " I've been around for a while and I'd like to ask you guys a question" Wichur you should say "Im always around " xD I can find you easily on every fonline forum, maybe thats why you cant finnish your game because you spend a lot of time for adding new respond
That is 100% correct, especially the "lot of time to answer" part.

btw guys dont worried about our games like we said before we want connect all good ideas from other servers even new races doesnt destroy our concept.
It doesn't answer my previous question - what makes me play your game instead of any other? Connecting good ideas - who decides if they are good or not? What are those ideas? And where can I read some concept as such?
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2016, 03:02:59 am »
It doesn't answer my previous question - what makes me play your game instead of any other? Connecting good ideas - who decides if they are good or not? What are those ideas? And where can I read some concept as such?

I don't know what will make you want to play it. :) Seriously a lot of people seem to dislike the idea of another PvP/PvE server but would any of these other ideas have more appeal? Or would each just appeal to a small group?

Personally I am for the survival/roleplay angle but things are still being worked out. A lot of this is testing things to see what works and brainstorming, hence the lack of clear list of features. The project is effectively pre-alpha.

I can you an idea what sort of things are being discussed:

New balance. This isn't just about new content, we're hoping to support a variety of builds and playstyles. There will be a level cap and books will yield fewer points, making Int matter. We hope to have follower robots and turrets, making Repair and Science more useful in the field. We are looking at making Barter less of a pure alt skill. Redundant "even more" Perks will probably be dropped and a greater variety of perks added and balanced. Building a character will be a more flexible endeavor as opposed to just slightly modding one of a handful of viable builds.

The maps will actually be smaller. Tit0 is pushing for this :) Towns and world are getting scaled back to reduce travel. A mixed blessing imo.

New content. Yes, we are taking stuff from other Fallout games. Tactics and Van Buren have some great stuff and we aren't going to ignore it. We are also adding new "games" (like TC, caravans, etc) to give people more environments to use their builds in and more ways to earn different rewards.

So yeah adding stuff from other games is part of this, but ensuring stuff already in engine actually gets use and is balanced is another part of it.

So I am going to flip that question a bit, What would people like to see in a PvP/PvE server sticking close to original Fallout themes that hasn't been done (well) on Reloaded or Fonline2? For me that's followers, more skill use, more varied builds and so on.

Offline Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2016, 12:11:55 pm »
Smart move, now it's up to players to write down the concept of your server. Totally opposite to FOnline2 development for example, which has begun in 2012 from clear idea of what we are actually doing here.

Anyway so far I'm not convinced. Changes mentioned so far can be added to any existing FOnline server, with more or less acceptance from playerbase. It's not that difficult, just time consuming to take SDK, add some maps, new items, nerf this, boost that, shake before serving and boom, done. Klamath top left, Glow bottom right, yet another pixel-hungry-rats race on yet another 2238/TLA clone, nothing to see here, move along. Rolling the same ball of turd over and over is boring and repeatable as hell. Announcing "we take all the good FOnline features and mix them together but tell us what these features should be" - well, good luck, you're gonna need it.

Barter and Scavenging skills are passive on FO2, meaning they raise by using them and therefore making a dedicated alt for those is pointless. I guess someone did that anyway, but I cannot explain that poor soul.
TC or caravans is nothing "new" at all, it's been here and there for a longer while. In my opinion TC is one of the most game-destructive features in current shape, it makes TC-towns deserted and useless for majority of players. Simply because majority of players use to have fun solo, believe it or not, so they don't give a flying fuck about things designed and implemented only to keep few bunches of yelling clowns happy. Which never works by the way, those yelling clowns are never happy.

There's a long list of things I like on FO2 and miss on Reloaded and opposite, but most of these can be added with this or that update, so I'm not bothered much. I'm patient enough to sit and wait, I cannot split in two to combine developing an indie game with real life duties.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 03:03:28 pm »
Town control is most cancered fonline's feature. I can't imagine why someone would want to add it to his own server.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 09:09:13 am »
"Town Control" should never be done in a town location but in a custom one. This way you are also free to design it in a way to make it at least partly competitive.

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 09:01:51 pm »
I checked your trello guys and I noticed that you plan to add metro to ncr, vc, hub... well, it is a bit strange, these towns not existed before war so from you get metro there? metro in la or sf ok, but in other towns it is a bit LOL.

Offline Bungo

• Fonline: Aftertimes Lead 3D Artist
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 09:17:29 pm »
I checked your trello guys and I noticed that you plan to add metro to ncr, vc, hub... well, it is a bit strange, these towns not existed before war so from you get metro there? metro in la or sf ok, but in other towns it is a bit LOL.

That was entirely Tito's idea, I was actually arguing about it with him for two days straight and yeah, we'll have proper train stations now, I guess.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:19:26 pm by Bungo »

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2016, 01:44:19 am »
well technically the great war is still a couple decades away so I think a californian subway system is not too much of a stretch.

In any case, I agree with lexx and wichura and have already voiced the same concern. Coming from the aop standpoint, the changes that origins has been talking about are nothing but "balance" tweaks and not much in the way of "game design", which is something that's lacking in most projects, both failed and ongoing ones, I guess. Now, I don't know how that can be explained, maybe a problem is that fonline is based on fallout, which is considered a holy grail and so any substantial change to its core is considered heresy (y u no put 1hex on aop durr).

On the other hand though, everytime there is a discussion about fonline in general the usual arguments come up, our good friend "more servers will split the community even further" and our all time favorite "why fonline devs dont just combine and make the garden eden super server" and I think all of that has already been consisely discussed by lidae back in 2012 http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,17910.msg235011.html#msg235011

Essentially, if the right couple of people are dissatisfied with current servers, they'll make their own server. It is more of a spontaneous and subjective thing, people doing what they want to do just because they want to. What a lot of other people do assume though, is that devteams are these highly rational and objective entities, entering the fonline market as a business in order to compete with other servers for their share of the market. Fundamentally, most people assume popularity to be the currency of servers, when really, devs just do what they want to do.

Coming back to origins, from that popularity standpoint, it's only logical to critize origins approach and I do share that point of criticism, however my reason for that is just, why would you even want to make exactly the same game for the 4th time now? I consider fonline dev as a creative work and would take devs as artists rather than businessmen. If a couple of musicians get together and form a new band to play 90's black metal, you wouldn't criticize them for picking a shitty genre to make money with, because amateur artists don't need to measure themselves by success, and doing so would be inapropriate.

That said, I have nothing against new projects and I do support them with my limited capabilities as a script illiterate, in the hopes that just maybe, we as a community might see some new stuff after all, at some point.

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2016, 10:06:21 am »
well technically the great war is still a couple decades away so I think a californian subway system is not too much of a stretch.

yeah, war and ~150 years probably is not able to totally destroy subway infrastructure, but if we keep in mind history of raising the hub, shady sands and vc it looks strange that these cities even has metro. is possible that in one town people found some old tunnels by diggin in desert sand, but not in all for sure.

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 06:03:46 pm »
Essentially, if the right couple of people are dissatisfied with current servers, they'll make their own server. It is more of a spontaneous and subjective thing, people doing what they want to do just because they want to. What a lot of other people do assume though, is that devteams are these highly rational and objective entities, entering the fonline market as a business in order to compete with other servers for their share of the market. Fundamentally, most people assume popularity to be the currency of servers, when really, devs just do what they want to do.

Pretty much. I always wanted to make my own Fallout multiplayer content, now I have an engine that can.

Why not join Reloaded or FOnline? Well I didn't know they needed scripters before. Having seen how many suggestion threads end in "make it and we'll add it" I am more than happy to share code with the other teams but what I want isn't what Kilgore wants out of a server. I disagree with the entire philosophy of PvE/PvP separation and their lack of a skill cap, so the changes I want aren't going to go in on Reloaded, period. Really if I tried to bring up my ideas as suggestions I'd quickly be told to make my own server.

A lot of people complain about the world map being the same, but I want a server with the original maps and using rules I want. If you really want to see all new maps make your own server or give me a few years.

And yeah, the "metro" was originally VC to Hub via a revived Hyperloop type train but things got confused and out of hand so that got scrapped.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:06:27 pm by AnarchCassius »