Author Topic: Feedback wanted  (Read 10783 times)

Offline Rikers

• pixel nazi
Feedback wanted
« on: June 09, 2015, 05:29:55 pm »
So, I've been fiddling with some of the walls and tried making new sets. What should I improve/change/etc? Do they blend in good with vanilla assets? I would highly appreciate any feedback/critique/opinions/suggestions :)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:11:26 am by Rikers »

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
Re: Feedback wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 06:06:55 pm »
I think the tiles are a bit too bright... especially in the last screenshot you can see it.
Look at the other interior walls, they are very dark compared to yours.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:08:31 pm by JovankaB »

Offline Rikers

• pixel nazi
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:53:19 pm »
Thx! I've been pondering this a while but didin't darken mainly because of this precedent:

I will try to darken it a bit and post the results though.

Offline S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• Some random guy
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 11:05:37 pm »
very nice they look good  ;D
Back In-Game :D

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:11:21 pm »
Have you altered the fallout wall or is it a custom wall-like scenery to fit on other walls? The 2nd option would seem good to use it for kitchens and bathrooms and the like. I don't think it's too bright really but it always depends on its surroundings of course. great job

Offline Rikers

• pixel nazi
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:38:29 pm »
Have you altered the fallout wall or is it a custom wall-like scenery to fit on other walls? The 2nd option would seem good to use it for kitchens and bathrooms and the like. I don't think it's too bright really but it always depends on its surroundings of course. great job

Uhm, not 100% what you mean by "altering"... They are walls, not a scenery - and their size/shape/offsets etc are based on the vanilla sets. They are not meant to be a replacement, but an addition to the original walls. The greater the diversity, the better - as long as they more or less fit the original style and don't stand out too much.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 12:18:28 am by Rikers »

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 05:09:09 am »
Looks p.good to me, but the dark scenery is clashing with all the white (the barrels and the brown bedding).

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:23:05 am »
Uhm, not 100% what you mean by "altering"... They are walls, not a scenery - and their size/shape/offsets etc are based on the vanilla sets. They are not meant to be a replacement, but an addition to the original walls. The greater the diversity, the better - as long as they more or less fit the original style and don't stand out too much.
What I mean by altering is just taking a vanilla frm and and modifying it to use it as a standalone wall, like keeping the small top side of the walls and only changing the sides, as opposed to doing one completely from scratch.

Offline Rikers

• pixel nazi
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 12:14:02 pm »
What I mean by altering is just taking a vanilla frm and and modifying it to use it as a standalone wall, like keeping the small top side of the walls and only changing the sides
Oh, yeah. That's what I did.

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 06:57:29 pm »
Great work, if you ask me!  ;D

First of all, I'd try darkening the tiles just a bit.

After that, try adding some more sharpness or reduce the palette (whichever of those two looks better). Reducing the palette can be tricky, but it pays off visually when used in combination with the original content.

Finally, maybe adding some more details (cracks, partially/completely missing tiles, fluid spots etc.) if they look boring in greater rooms. Adding graffiti helped a bit, but as you can see, they were meant to be used with darker walls, hence leaving the ugly borderline on your tiles.

Urban exterior wall: make those facade carvings and decorations more three dimensional, they look too flat as they currently are.

That's about it  :)

Offline Rikers

• pixel nazi
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 11:58:49 pm »
First of all, I'd try darkening the tiles just a bit.

After that, try adding some more sharpness or reduce the palette (whichever of those two looks better). Reducing the palette can be tricky, but it pays off visually when used in combination with the original content.

Finally, maybe adding some more details (cracks, partially/completely missing tiles, fluid spots etc.) if they look boring in greater rooms. Adding graffiti helped a bit, but as you can see, they were meant to be used with darker walls, hence leaving the ugly borderline on your tiles.

Urban exterior wall: make those facade carvings and decorations more three dimensional, they look too flat as they currently are.

Thx for feedback! Tried sharpening, it didin't look good... (seemed too hmm, pixelated?) About reducing - didin't try it, but I don't see the point in reducing it, since I already use the vanilla pallette... I did go through with darkening the tiles, seems they look better now (I'll prb have to make a darker variant of sinks and toilets too :( ). The cracks are already there, just not so prominent, about the missing tiles -  I'll add more when I have time for moar pixelfuck :) The floor will need darkening too... About the graffittis - I think I'll just make new ones without the borders - imo making a wall out of them would make later mapping very inflexible.

Urban exterior - If you mean the carving by the door - will try to do something different (since I'm not skilled in blender/etc to render something apropriate). The rest.. idk if I'm skilled enough to fix/make it more prominent, but will try...

I've also been busy with this thingy below  (2 sets of walls, 3 sets of doors,)- it's still WIP, but feedback is, as always, appreciated :) Oh yeah, disregard the floor tiles, I'll make some when I'm done with the walls.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 01:37:05 am »
On last pic windows is too big/too close to doors. Other than that, it is awesome.

Offline Rikers

• pixel nazi
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 01:48:19 am »
Thx! Well, it's just a matter of wall placement - it's going to be a complete set, so (when I'm done) anyone will be able to place this stuff however he/she likes :)

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 02:43:34 pm »
looks good :D i still would love to get an working tilecutter ...

here some fun picture in meantime

Offline Rikers

• pixel nazi
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 04:20:17 pm »
looks good :D i still would love to get an working tilecutter ...

here some fun picture in meantime

Thx ;) What about the tilecutter, still having problems?
Nice pic, no you havta animate the thing xD