Author Topic: What's going on with Fonline Engine?  (Read 4492 times)

What's going on with Fonline Engine?
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:44:54 pm »
Hello,
I have had a game developed on fonline engine for some time now, although I have stopped development after the final bethesda bs. What is the current state of distribution? What are the limitations for changing of content - I know that any content from f2 cannot be modified or distributed.

Is it possible to launch a game on a bigger scale, paid subscriptions etc.? Is it at all possible to make money with this engine (regardless of cvet)?
Thanks!!

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: What's going on with Fonline Engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:47:12 am »
Not if you are using any original Fallout content.

Bethsoft doesn't care for as long as you don't try to make any money with the game and Fallout.

I am not sure how the general legal matter is with paid content, this is something you probably would need to ask cvet for a 100% correct answer. Well, or someone else here knows for sure...

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:17:57 am »
There are a few servers and games (singleplayer) based on Fallout content so nothing changed here - Bethesda doesn't care about it.

Also cvet developments commercial game based on his engine http://lastfrontier.ru/, http://fonline.ru/forum/threads/3934/ with new content.

So if you want to development typical FOnline servers it should stay free and don't include master.dat and critter.dat files. That's all. I think Bethesda will be fine.

About commercial game you should contact with cvet if you can use his engine but probably you won't. Check license if it exists.  ;)

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:11:57 pm »
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies!

Mostly I am looking to start subscription based servers with a monthly fee. There would be no charge for client or download, rather the subscription for paid server. Players would be then buying subscriptions to servers rather than any game material which is provided for free. Does this make sense? I am mostly concerned with Bethesda as I am planning to make money with this. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 07:36:01 pm »
This is the current FOnline license in Russian.

Although it seems you want to provide the "FOnline software" for free, it would still be wise to clear it up with the owner (i.e. Cvet) first. In this case the controversial term would be 4.2, which basically says "User has no right to reproduce and distribute the Software for commercial purposes (for a fee), as well as to include it in compilations of software products, without written permission of the owner." If you install the (FOnline) Software on a remote server, you are already reproducing it, and that's OK. However, if you ask for server subscriptions, the amount of money from subscriptions may exceed the amount of money needed to keep the server running, so you begin to earn money with it. Not to mention that the subscriptions may be considered "fees" (no subscription => no play, if I understood correctly).

Furthermore, the issue with the Fallout IP owned by Bethesda Softworks LLC remains as a burden. There was usually no big fuss about the Fallout 1/2 content used in different non-commercial mods, games and projects, but paid server subscriptions may attract a law shark as fast as you say "license". You may want to check their legal terms before doing anything regretful.

I couldn't say more because I've got no experiences with subscriptions - we were running our server on donations, with a transparent accountancy to the FOnline owner.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:37:51 pm by lisac2k »

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 07:50:34 am »
However, if you ask for server subscriptions, the amount of money from subscriptions may exceed the amount of money needed to keep the server running, so you begin to earn money with it.
To keep server running? This is a relative value. You may receive any amount of donations for any reason imaginable, but not using software. No ingame micro transactions, or paid access to the server. That means using software to make money. If transactions is not tied directly to the game - you will be safe.

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:52 pm »
To keep server running? This is a relative value. You may receive any amount of donations for any reason imaginable, but not using software. No ingame micro transactions, or paid access to the server. That means using software to make money. If transactions is not tied directly to the game - you will be safe.

We can speculate here what's safe and what not all the way to the ninth circle of hell and back, but a substantial safety can be acquired only through valid written agreement with content and engine proprietors, respectively.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:58:20 pm »
We can speculate here what's safe and what not all the way to the ninth circle of hell and back, but a substantial safety can be acquired only through valid written agreement with content and engine proprietors, respectively.
Agreement about commercial use of mentioned software? Sure, but donations is nothing to do with software or a commercial use. You may just receive money for keeping hardware running, admin routines, making new content and planning game events. And there is NO regulations how much you can ask or receive for that. Or you can do it for free. You wont receive millions or any stable income either.