Author Topic: FOnline Forever [Your opinion matters!]  (Read 40776 times)

Re: FOnline Forever [Your opinion matters!]
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 08:01:08 pm »
Good review, Wichura do next one with fonline After Times or how this another 2238/reloaded/fo2 clone is called.

Forever guys keep hard working but give us something more unique than few minor changes. Maybe turn into life suggestions from other servers' forums?

Offline Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 10:20:08 pm »
Do you mean that? No promises sister, I can simply forget.

Maybe turn into life suggestions from other servers' forums?
Changing random things based on random ideas of random people leads nowhere.
I repeat - without charismatic leadership, bunch of hardworking folks and last but not least good well prepared setting of server it's not gonna work.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Offline kompreSor

• FOnline 3
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2017, 10:21:29 am »
Forever guys keep hard working but give us something more unique than few minor changes. Maybe turn into life suggestions from other servers' forums?
here is A lot my suggestions, part of them is just joke but like 75% is seroiusly suggestions.

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2017, 09:22:10 pm »
First of all - starting up with some gear sounds awesome, but what use I can have from Mauser since I've decided to make pyromaniac character and ignore small guns as they are for pussies? In one of Fallout 2 mods there was a similiar idea but it was fitting the skills tagged more or less.

Varying the starting gear by tags would be a big improvement. I like that.

Worldmap travel speed - oh heavens here we go again, crippled pregnant snail is crawling between cities, one of the reasons unknown number of people decided to quit 2238. What purpose does it bring? Map is huge comparing to FOnline2's one, getting Pathfinder helps, getting a car helps even more, but it's just bad by design.

I like the realism and harshness of slow travel but we're increasing the speed until we can fill in the wasteland a bit more.

Combat - haven't checked TB mode, stupid spawning in the middle of mobs crowd no matter your PE is still present though. FOnline2 had it solved ages ago.

A bug or oversight in the source that will be fixed. There isn't a list of what is and isn't working in the SDKs so there is some testing needed to find issues.

Crafting - hooray, 18 new items! Wait, what? MP5? SWAT vest? Uzi? Like what the hell? What setting is this? Reminds me those Russian servers with all the weapons in the world and their dogs mixed together no matter they fit lore or not. Removing advanced workbenches from towns - well yeah, hi-tech workbench placed at the back of filthy store or in some fogrotten dirty shack always made me laugh at Reloaded. But why on Earth put it in 3 places only? Especially that Mariposa one doesn't bring any danger or threat (30 HP dogs outside don't count), just mindless point&click to run through a couple of maps and elevators. Was that about to limit common and easy crafting of tier 3 equipment? Seriously? To make improved flamer?

I totally agree with you on the crafting benches. The system is only halfway there and needs more thought.

As for items both the guns you mentioned are from Tactics. Even 2 had the Grease Gun in there with Gatling lasers. What setting is this? It's wasteland where people use anything they can get their hands on and maintain simple gun builds because it's easier. I want to put some more thought into who is using what and what guns are common but increasing the variety is a key goal of the server.

Mining/gathering - didn't bother to check mining on Reloaded myself, on FOnline2 it's made from scratch so it's totally different, but if I've figured it out right, resources in mines respawn elsewhere in a mine right after as you deplete a pile. All I had to do is grab a hammer, stay there for ages and keep digging. The exception is Ghost Farm where I've established a settlement for the first try - nothing respawned there since I've mined it few days ago. Unguarded mines - cool there's something to fight against, not-cool this active coursor thingie doesn't work good enough and you actually have to have hammer/hatcher/knife in active hand. FOnline2 requires just to have it in inventory and that's it.

Yeah I think mining is way too fast and clashes with the other changes to make crafting a bit harder. I don't see a problem with needing to equip a tool though, you still have second slot.

Trading - nonsense legacy of 2238 traders strikes back. You can't sell 10 mm ammo here, but you can sell flamer fuel. Over there you do opposite. And there you can't sell shit probably. This is so bad I won't even spit on this idea anymore. Of course due to playercount between 0 and 5 all the vendors have bazillions of caps.

So your problem is that vendors only buy certain goods, or that what they buy seems random?

You better move, You better move, You better move, Really, Really, Really - what year is this, 2010 again?

Yeah, they are pretty serious about blocking doors in the Wasteland. :)

Since I came from Reloaded this didn't even seem like a thing but I am happy to yank it if others feel the same. I mean we can push people can't we?

Quests - haven't found any new, some ashaming leftovers from 2238 (Metzger's suitcase, woohoo, I've dreamed about it since I was 12).

Working on the base game changes first so we know what elements work and how for making quests. They are coming. Sorry things are slow.

I've read through project's forum to find some info or planned changes and frankly I can't explain the purpose of this server.  - Something for hardcore roleplayers that take no hostages, ban for typing "xD" or "lol", enjoy permadeath, harshness, hours spent on getting the simplest guns etc.? 

Scratch permadeath and ban for lol and that isn't far from what I would like. Reloaded seems like a race to the tier 4 gear then PvP. It doesn't feel like a Wasteland.

Right now there is a lot of experimentation. We want to make the stats and skills more even instead of making a server where there are a handful of viable builds. We want the lower tier gear to actually see use. We want mechanics more like the old games. We intend to add more perks and remove the uninteresting "Even More" versions.

Reloaded turns me off with no use for Cha or Int and no hard cap on skill. FOnline2 turns me off with it's tons of achievements for every player killing the same specific bosses. The idea is to design a character, not grind one. And if that sounds overly harsh on the other servers I'm just saying what I don't like and pointing out why I feel Forever is a needed alternative.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:47:26 pm by AnarchCassius »

Offline Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 08:08:06 am »
Reasonable answers, that's what I like. Thank you.

Varying the starting gear by tags would be a big improvement. I like that.
Yeah, but I'm gonna start new characters over and over to "farm" equipment this way. It happened already on 2238, people were creating loads of alts due to packs of cigarettes or whatever it was appearing with every new character.

I like the realism and harshness of slow travel but we're increasing the speed until we can fill in the wasteland a bit more.
I strongly recommend to check FOnline2 worldmap desing. No bragging here, just to see the idea. Map is redesigned completely, sectors are bigger, travel speed is higher, so in the result
a) cities are closer to each other
b) map is smaller in general
c) it's easier to encounter another player
For population between 50 and 150 it's more than enough. It won't be much higher anymore, FOnline attracts mostly oldfags like me, with optional autism like mine. Not much of players this type around.

A bug or oversight in the source that will be fixed. There isn't a list of what is and isn't working in the SDKs so there is some testing needed to find issues.
It needs complete rework, again - FOnline2 has it solved so the higher PE is, the more away from the middle of encounter map a character appears.

I totally agree with you on the crafting benches. The system is only halfway there and needs more thought.
I believe you have a fresh draft of such system already? Or you just tweak the existing one?

As for items both the guns you mentioned are from Tactics. Even 2 had the Grease Gun in there with Gatling lasers. What setting is this? It's wasteland where people use anything they can get their hands on and maintain simple gun builds because it's easier. I want to put some more thought into who is using what and what guns are common but increasing the variety is a key goal of the server.
I find it easier to dig some rocks, chop some wood, gather some fruits, make a flamer and burn motherfuckers, burn.
Trouble is it looks very random now - let's take some Tactics guns, some lasers, some whatever and hope for the best. Curiosity will make people try these out, but then it ends up same as always - the most effective weapon becomes the common one.

Yeah I think mining is way too fast and clashes with the other changes to make crafting a bit harder. I don't see a problem with needing to equip a tool though, you still have second slot.
Point is tool needs to be in active slot in order for active cursor to work.
FOnline2 doesn't have mines at all. How do you mine? Go outside, find caves, kill what's inside, dig rocks, rinse and repeat. The beauty there is you don't need cooldowns for anything as time spent on finding resources is a cooldown itself. Also mining bots have no use. And last but not least there's a chance to meet another player, which might be a pain for newcomers trying to put their hands on a first gun ever. But cancerogenic community of spoiled brats and plain assholes is all alike across FOnlines of all kinds, it's not game's design fault.

So your problem is that vendors only buy certain goods, or that what they buy seems random?
My problem is I come to a store with large "GUNS" sign on it and guy inside doesn't accept goddamn ammunition or some weapons because screw you. Like what kind of business plan is this?

Yeah, they are pretty serious about blocking doors in the Wasteland. :)

Since I came from Reloaded this didn't even seem like a thing but I am happy to yank it if others feel the same. I mean we can push people can't we?
I'm still not sure if NCR guards shoot you if you have a hammer in hand and try to enter inner city. PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPON NOW! What weapon, this? Bang, you're dead!

Working on the base game changes first so we know what elements work and how for making quests. They are coming. Sorry things are slow.
No further explanations needed, been there, seen that.

Scratch permadeath and ban for lol and that isn't far from what I would like. Reloaded seems like a race to the tier 4 gear then PvP. It doesn't feel like a Wasteland.
There was a project named Wasteland2155, I can't provide any link now as they are all gone. Anyway the idea was to make a true RP hardcore server, with player accounts requiring admin's acceptance, lore of character written in proper English before that, some GM-run story plot, tier 2 as maximum and many many more. It's real shame it didn't work out.

Right now there is a lot of experimentation. We want to make the stats and skills more even instead of making a server where there are a handful of viable builds. We want the lower tier gear to actually see use. We want mechanics more like the old games. We intend to add more perks and remove the uninteresting "Even More" versions.
... and we listen to player needs and suggestions, you've forgot to mention.
Point is you can't do that. You can't listen to random people that probably never worked on any FOnline project, have no imagination whatsoever and/or just demand X or Y to make it happen now, right here.
You've started to fiddle with Reloaded source as it's I believe well documented and it's quite easy to find a support. Great, now what makes people play this server? How different it is or will be in a foreseeable future from existing ones?
I wanted to make a FOnline server based on Glukhovsky's "Metro" universe, even started the thing with maps, custom graphics and concept but then real life came up saying "hold on, I've got a serious job for you". I wanted to make a server based on "Living Dead" movie series, a kind of survival horror game where you need to sneak through, stay quiet and hidden or zombies/ghouls/whatnot will come and chew your arse. Didn't even go beyond that sentence in this case.
Now I just want a pony. Never had a pony and this idea has a slight chance to become true. Like 5% or so.

Reloaded turns me off with no use for Cha or Int and no hard cap on skill. FOnline2 turns me off with it's tons of achievements for every player killing the same specific bosses. The idea is to design a character, not grind one. And if that sounds overly harsh on the other servers I'm just saying what I don't like and pointing out why I feel Forever is a needed alternative.
Yeah, but so far it's just a wishful thinking, high hopes, great expectations and no clear path to follow. Way I see it 2238 died because of this - no clue where are we heading to. Majority of these Brand New Shiny Projects That Developers Listen To Players looks all alike:
- download Reloaded source
- change a thing or two, maybe even make some maps (which is the easiest of server related tasks, even though a bit time consuming)
- announce new project on forum
- start the server
- mess up with admin rights for a while, it's so much fun
- gather up on NCR's Bazaar
- Well gents, what's next? What do we do?
- [cricket sound]

Tons of achievements - well come on, it's like five or so bosses to actually kill and achievements gained this way give you a good feel inside your tummy rather than serious advantage.
It's actually six of them.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:14:57 am by Wichura »
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 11:04:36 am »
I am still waiting for someone to make that pokemon-like FOnline game. Running around, catching critters, training them and battle other players. :>

If it's made well, with a good and clean interface, I can see potential in this. :>
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:06:46 am by Lexx »

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »
I am still waiting for someone to make that pokemon-like FOnline game. Running around, catching critters, training them and battle other players. :>

If it's made well, with a good and clean interface, I can see potential in this. :>

;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIPWDTixabg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIPWDTixabg</a> 

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2017, 11:49:07 am »
Hello dear wastelanders!

We wanted to update everyone on current plans that are under the development at the moment.

We have been listening to our community to further improve the game itself.

Here are some features to expect in the future.

- Weapon balance (after month or so testing, now we have some weapon balance to do. To further improve the overall balance in PvP and PVE, and of course there has been lots of discussion about the current burst mechanics, which we have been tweaking quite a lot recently. We are still trying to come up with perfect balance with it.

Chem Changes:
 - A few weeks back we added a new set of chems and reworked the system. This is not the end of changes regarding the chems however. Jet Beta will be added (2 AP -2 PE -1 ST, triple current Jet duration) as well as more means of dealing with the addiction and withdrawal penalties. Additionally Overdosing will become a possibilty, adding another element of balance to the chem systems.

About Maps:
There will be new maps in the future, now we have added new event map for ghoul wave defence.

Upcoming map:

Concord Naval Weapons Station: Almost closed in the early 2000s this base became increasingly important as a shipping facility during the Resource Wars. The facility stored munitions for nearly every naval weapon system intended to be shipped to Alaska and other hotspots. While badly hit by Chinese missiles much of the base remains intact underground. The inland area is firmly in the control of Navy war robots. While they maintain the base they are insane from electromagnetic damage and fire on anything more mobile than a spore plant.
The Port Chicago tidal area was less fortified and is in worse shape. The delta has begun to reclaim this part of the base and mutant animals (winnamingo?) have taken up residence.
Both sections feature above ground areas intended for long range PvE. Inland area features several underground regions with lots of loot so PvP chars may consider ambushing those emerging. Actual weapon drops are limited and mostly big guns but huge amounts of ammo and special military components can be found here. This may be a location to acquire key pieces for an eye bot or sentry robot follower.

About perks:

First, certain perks are getting axed, particularly FOnline specific perks that are just better versions of pre-existing perks. Two in particular bother me; most of the other More, + or ! perks at least boost something that needed it, I'm not sure why these were ever added.

Even Tougher: This is one of the main causes of people being too hard to kill imo.

Instead of More Ranged Damage, Center of Mass will be added, similar effect but weaker for bursts and nicer for other weapons. No going to help headshots but you gotta make descisions.

We are thinking about a new Perk to raise the dmg multiplier itself over what the crit table result is. Suggestions for a name are accepted.

New perks:

Sniper : 15% on critical chance rolls with small guns.

Up and Close: Extra damage from one hex.   

Marksman: increase gun range 20%

Center of Mass: you do an additional 10% damage when targeting the torso.     

Self-Experimentation: Any chems you take last twice as long. (this is Chemist from NV with a less confusing name)

Old World Gourmet:   You have 25% less chance of Addiction and gain double Health from Snack Foods and alcohol.

Drunken Master: 20% Close Combat while intoxicated

Cautious Nature: Huge boost to the starting distance. Stops you from spawning in the middle of encounters, like pretty much ever.

Other things:

- Molotovs will be affected by the Pyro perk and affect multiple hexes.  Also some new visual regarding Fire/burning, a Burning status effect and flaming hexes from molotovs.

- Other statuses from Tactics are being added besides Overdose. Concussed and Winded will be added to the critical tables providing more use for status infliction.

These are pretty much what we are working for the near future. Of course there will be more new updates soon, and we will be sure to mention them too as the time comes.

- Fonline Forever team

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 05:21:57 am »
Added Tear Gas Grenade, it's using same area effect system as Molotov Cocktails. When you are effected by gas, you get temporary eye damage and you can't run until effect is on.

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 01:40:16 pm »
How about more ambitious plans? Are you going to work on something extra like new dungeons, overhaul cities, town control change etc?

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 10:14:44 am »

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2017, 03:36:16 am »
First version of Market system implemented. Marketeer vendor currently in NCR.

Couple screens here.

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2017, 02:19:10 pm »
Is it player based market? It looks really nice.

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 09:26:41 am »
It is yes, our goal is to make player driven economy in actual season 1.

Here is video made by TKS-Mantis about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhz1hcKiQiA

Currently features has been improved, like you can place unit price when selling stacked items.

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 03:07:34 pm »
Leveling npc added in NCR until test season is finished.

We have still crafting overhaul and few adjustments to do.