Author Topic: 3D Model in Blender  (Read 13811 times)

Offline Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
3D Model in Blender
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:28 am »
Where can I find the models in an editable format like .blend? The repository has only Fonline formats.

[edit - Luther] I split this from the 3D Model Repository thread, as it's a separate and very useful question.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:15:40 pm by Luther Blissett »
Favorite forum posters:
Mike Crosser, the underground

Offline Luther Blissett

Re: 3D Model in Blender
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:44:14 am »
The 3D Test Repository (Graf's repository) should have most of the models in formats such as 3ds or obj, which can be imported into Blender/Wings3D/Max/anything else.
http://xp-dev.com/svn/F3D_stuff/

It might not include everything. If you're looking for something specific that's not available, you can either try and find the original forum post/upload, or a quicker option might be to install Fragmotion (can be used free with no restrictions after following "nag screen" instructions), which can import the game-compatible .x files directly - you can then import the .x file from the main 3D repo, then export it as a 3ds or obj etc. You won't need to understand how to use Fragmotion to just use it as a file converter - it's just "import" and "export" in the file menu.

Offline Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:07:12 pm »
The 3D Test Repository (Graf's repository) should have most of the models in formats such as 3ds or obj, which can be imported into Blender/Wings3D/Max/anything else.
http://xp-dev.com/svn/F3D_stuff/

It might not include everything. If you're looking for something specific that's not available, you can either try and find the original forum post/upload, or a quicker option might be to install Fragmotion (can be used free with no restrictions after following "nag screen" instructions), which can import the game-compatible .x files directly - you can then import the .x file from the main 3D repo, then export it as a 3ds or obj etc. You won't need to understand how to use Fragmotion to just use it as a file converter - it's just "import" and "export" in the file menu.
Thanks, however, I can't find rigged male hero model, only fatman. Do you happen to have it?

EDIT: I exported the fatty to wavefront format, then to Blender but I got no bones to work with. Where can I get a male model that can be animated in Blender?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:11:29 pm by Senocular »
Favorite forum posters:

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:06:51 pm »
Thanks, however, I can't find rigged male hero model, only fatman. Do you happen to have it?

Here.

Offline Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:24:55 pm »
Here.
Those are .obj files with just meshes. When I import that to Blender it doesn't have any bones to animate.
Favorite forum posters:

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »
Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, nobody ever managed to find a way to get a working rigged model into Blender. Unless any newer plugins exist now, you probably still can't without manually re-rigging it.

It exists as a 3ds Max biped, or as the .x file. To my knowledge that leaves us with the options of 3ds Max 2010 or Fragmotion (unless someone knows of another program or export format that would work).

You should be able to get the skeleton into Blender as a bvh, and can separately get the base figure in as an obj or 3ds file - but you'd have to link them together yourself. You'll probably have to adjust the import settings as the axes (plural axis, not weapon) will be the wrong way round and the figure will be laying face down.

[edit] Apparently someone's writing a new import plugin for Blender. No idea if this works or not. https://github.com/littleneo/directX_blender
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:05:41 pm by Luther Blissett »

Offline Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 10:10:07 pm »
I managed to get it in Blender with this procedure:

1. Open rigged .x model in Fragmotion
2. Export it to .smd HL2 format
3. Import it to Blender using SMD Tools

Althought it badly stretches when I try to move it. What app was used to create current animations?
Favorite forum posters:

Offline Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:02:13 am »
Scale the bones like in this tutorial
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:03:51 am by Alvarez »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 05:08:34 am »
Althought it badly stretches when I try to move it.

It looks like a few of the vertices are not connected to the bones (or not connected to the right bones). Note that I'm not sure the fat man file was ever rigged properly (I was doing this one myself whilst learning and testing). I may have done a newer one which was correctly rigged but never uploaded.

Anyway, it should be fixable - it looks like most of the foot is okay, but a few bits are unconnected. Having a look at the tutorial Alvarez mentioned might help to connect those last few dots.

The SMD export/import thing looks very promising though - I'll try to have a look at this myself at some point over the next few days. Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with Blender, but I might know enough to test some import/export stuff. I've wanted a Blender compatible version of the rig since we started, so I'm quite excited to see this SMD thing, even if it is a bit wobbly at the moment.

Also would be great if you had time to try the original male human - base file can be downloaded here #0 - 3D Tutorials and Links - under 1st "spoiler" are the "Basic Resource Links" for male and female models. The .x files are the ones from the main 3D repo. Do the same Fragmotion/SMD/Blender thing and see what it comes out with.

What app was used to create current animations?

All the current 'official' animations were done by Karpov in 3DS Max, with the original biped file. I've done some in Fragmotion for various test things (basically to check how it worked), but none which are part of the main Fonline 3D stuff.

Offline Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:24:45 pm »
Also would be great if you had time to try the original male human - base file can be downloaded here #0 - 3D Tutorials and Links - under 1st "spoiler" are the "Basic Resource Links" for male and female models. The .x files are the ones from the main 3D repo. Do the same Fragmotion/SMD/Blender thing and see what it comes out with.

It turned out much better but there is still some work to do. For examplse some bones in hands are left out.

Scale the bones like in this tutorial
Nice tutorial althought I don't understand why bother with this instead of posting a rigged mesh for everyone? I thought we need unified mesh so that there are no 10 animations with 10 different rigs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:29:08 pm by Senocular »
Favorite forum posters:

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 05:12:54 pm »
Awesome. I'm not sure about those "floating" bones (I have seen them and ignored them myself). They're either something to do with weapon attachment, or they're leftover badly-translated IK handles. I don't think they're meant to attach to any of the body vertices.

l_handle_1 and R_handle_1 are attached to the skeleton, but not connected to any vertices in the hand.
L_Handle_  and R_Handle_ are floating loose, and not connected to anything on the body. In most of the animation files, they don't exist - though they are connected to the placeholder guns in some files.

I think only Karpov can explain what these are - unless we can work it out by studying and testing the files.

This should be an .x file with a handful of human animations in it : CR_humananims.X. If you can export/import/merge that into the file you're using, you should be able to test some of the existing animations to make sure everything works. In those, have a look at the unconnected "handle" bones and see what they do.

You can download the other animations individually from the main 3D repo here : FOnline3d (look at male_rifle.x for example of placeholder weapon attachment).

Also - yes, we definitely need a unified mesh / animation which will work across multiple programs, and it does need to be the same one for compatibility - ideally where we can put a file in Max, Fragmotion or Blender (and others if possible). However, that tutorial is very clear to help with understanding how the rigging works and would be useful for either modifying or correcting existing ones, or for adding new ones like dogs, geckos, rats etc. For the main human though, we need a working version of the original model and animations in Blender - which is exactly what you seem to be doing, and I thank you very much for this. I tried to do this myself years ago, but failed. :)

Next test of course would be to try and export something from Blender and see if it will work in game (If you don't have an SDK set up yourself, upload it here and I'll test it). Test something basic like replacing the default idle pose, or replacing the default walk with a Silly Walk.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:43 pm »
maybe someone will find it interesting for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuBorX_o9tw
blend: http://vk.com/doc161737185_307465973

PS: "universal" rig, which can be done only in the 3DMax - a bit annoying

http://vk.com/vaultcrawl