Author Topic: Normal map support?  (Read 7006 times)

Normal map support?
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:02:57 am »
So, I'm wondering, does the engine have support for normal maps or is it too outdated?

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
Re: Normal map support?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:48:42 am »
GLSL shaders in any case. I think Luther Blisset was working on normal maps, but that was during 2238 era, probably 2-3 years ago... Check out some of the old threads around here, he was posting on our old forum (now archived, maybe stickied someplace).

From the designer point of view, anything as big as Fallout sprites/objects and up to 2 or 3 times in size shall not profit visually from normal maps. In other words it is depending on your plans.

About GLSL: In the current FOnline SDK the shadow for 3D characters is drawn this way, coded by Cvet. Unfortunately there is no source code for it, you would have to make something on your own or ask on IRC.

Offline cvet

• FOnline Main Developer
    • FOnline
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 11:31:45 pm »
Yes, this is possible.
I add this info to effects/Readme.txt later.
Look on InTangent/InBitangent.

Code: [Select]
// Effect attributes

vec3 InPosition;             // Vertex position
vec3 InNormal;               // Vertex normal
vec2 InTexCoord;             // Texture coordinate in atlas
vec2 InTexCoordBase;         // Original texture coordinate
vec3 InTangent;              // Tangent
vec3 InBitangent;            // Bitangent
vec4 InBlendWeights;         // Weight of bone
vec4 InBlendIndices;         // Index to WorldMatrices

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 10:54:22 pm »
Would normal maps make that much of a difference ? I mean unless the player zoom's in on their character 300% I don't really see the point. It's just more work for the guy who makes the textures IMO.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:33:46 am »
Even zoomed in you won't notice anything significant, as the models are rendered and stored as 2d graphics. That means, zooming in pixelates them and you won't see more details than before.