Author Topic: What scripting language to start with?  (Read 3060 times)

What scripting language to start with?
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »
So, since there are no real tutorials for FOnline scripting basics, or even AngelScript basics, what would be the best programming language to try and get familiar with to start understanding how to script for the FOnline engine? I'm asking because I'm assuming the more well known languages have much better tutorials for absolute beginners like myself.

Maybe someday someone will make tutorials specifically for the FOnline engine, but I doubt it given the (strange) lack of interest in FOnline.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: What scripting language to start with?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 02:20:06 pm »
FOnline uses AngelScript, so I'll guess if you want to do something with FOnline, then AngelScript would be the way to go, right from the start. :>

If you want to start with something super simple, you could also try something like Excel VBA or Basic or something like this for the first few steps and then go to AngelScript.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:21:48 pm by Lexx »

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:30:07 pm »
Well the problem with AngelScript is I can't find any tutorial that explains things for a newcomer to programming, so I can't even get started. For example:
void main()
  {
    print("Hello world\n");
  }

From the "Your first script" tutorial. Okay, so what does void mean in this language? What does main mean? It doesn't explain any of this, it essentially just says "Type this collection of characters and this happens." Doesn't explain what any of the terms mean. For example, I tried looking up the term "void". Couldn't find anything. I need to know what these terms mean and what they do so that I can use them later when I'm trying to create or edit scripts. Just telling me what to type in if I want to print a message only helps me if I want to print a message, not if I want to use any of the terms used in it for other purposes. Am I missing something?

Offline Mayck

• Rotator
  • ...shhhh...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:38:38 pm »
If you don't want to learn just Angelscript then basically any language with C-like syntax would suffice... i guess C++, C# or Java would be good

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 02:50:55 pm »
Well I'd like to learn AngelScript but it seems insanely difficult to without prior programming knowledge or tutorials, so I guess I can try C++ or something.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 11:11:40 pm »
I recommend JavaScript, the syntax is much like C++ and it will help you a lot when you will learn it. If you don't want to read books I suggest you go over to codeacademy.com and learn from there. Trying to learn C++ right from the start is very difficult.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:14:54 pm by raynor009 »

Offline Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 07:41:04 pm »
Python has the most simple syntax for the basic things of programming that are common to every language (loops, recursion, functions, variables, etc). It is scripting (being interpreted instead of compiled), so you wouldn't need to worry about a compiler, since it all comes in one easy package.

Angelscript is based off of C++, so I would look into C++ in this case. I guess I'm biased but I learned (well still learning, it's a messy language when you get past the basics) C++ first, and this book was nice, I had a physical copy but I found a pdf version of it: http://roneducate.weebly.com/uploads/6/2/3/8/6238184/c_for_everyone_2nd_edition_horstmann_wiley_plus_textbook.pdf
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:42:47 pm by Ganado »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!