Author Topic: Partnership for New FOnline Server  (Read 9064 times)

Re: Partnership for New FOnline Server
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 02:59:48 pm »
Ok I see so what are you going to do? I hope you will not create next 2238/TLA clone but something unique. 8)

It's not going to be a clone, that's for sure. However, I might keep a few systems (why reinvent the wheel) like the character creation, replication, following system and similar. I'm not going to keep any of the current locations so mappings will be made from scratch. All quests are going to be deleted and new ones will be made. I'm thinking about redoing the faction system. I want the caravans to be more dynamic. There should be more buildings (cities) where people can purchase houses. This server will have a more balanced level system and won't include as much waiting as in the previous FOnline games. It's going to have a lot of roleplay elements. The interface will change once I find a partner. These are not official statements.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 09:02:51 pm »
I hope you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Will this be your first project? If not, what projects have you finished before?

The scope of your ambition seems unrealistic, the commitment you're asking for from a partner or yourself is not trivial.

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 03:54:14 pm »
I hope you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Will this be your first project? If not, what projects have you finished before?

The scope of your ambition seems unrealistic, the commitment you're asking for from a partner or yourself is not trivial.

Of course not, I am 19 years old. It isn't unrealistic in terms of my knowledge but rather a question about dedication and time. If I spent time exploring the SDK I would be able to do everything I said in the previous posts. I will be studying at the University for 3.5 years starting this fall and so I'm planning to spend that time developing my programming skills as far as I can. If it's going to be FOnline that I'm going to be developing I'm not sure, but I will script on no matter what. I hope that is a good answer for your question.

#EDIT 1 (Forgot to answer two questions):
This is my first project in FOnline but I have been a part of many other projects. What I have succeeded in doing outside FOnline is quite irrelevant... but if you insist to get an answer then I have to say that I have never finished any of my larger projects. It takes years to actually develop a server, no matter what game it is. I have only been writing code for like 5 years and then you need to take that minus the time to learn. With this being said, I believe in my ability to develop a server and run a community.

P.s this "scope" of my ambition is far from unrealistic because I know that the things I have said are possible to do.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:01:52 pm by ZirconApoc »

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 02:14:26 am »
I won't try to talk you out of anything, I appreciate that you want to do your own thing. I have to say though, and I'm not trying to discourage you, but your project the way you described it in the previous post does sound extremely ambitious. Making all new maps and all new quests can literally be thousands of hours of work. There are countless projects out there (not just for fonline) that have never been released because of too high ambitions. I used to work on Fan-Made Fallout for example, a total conversion mod for fallout 2. It was going strong for about 7 years and had hundreds of members over the course of those years. I spent more hours on that project than I care to admit, and so did many others, yet we were no where near getting anything playable. It's not a matter of what is doable - almost anything can be done. But actually going all the way is a different thing all together.

Another thing to consider since you're about to start at the uni, is that you won't have 40 hours a week to spend on this. It might seem plausible at first, you might even do it for a while. But to keep that up for years? You'd truly be one of a kind to pull something like that.

And yes, I agree that releasing the game is not everything that matters. But you're lying to yourself if you say that it doesn't matter at all. Being able to finish something is a great feeling, if nothing else but to be able to look back at all that time and effort and say "this is what came out of it, I made this". And the more effort you put into a project, the more you will eventually regret it if it's never done. For me, while working on FMF was a great thing, I still feel a pinch of sadness everytime I think of it, for all those great ideas that never saw the light of day. This is the advice I would have wanted to get back then (incidentally I was exactly your age then). Be realistic and don't go that route if you can avoid it.

It's just a friendly advice, nothing more. But I would seriously consider aiming lower, much lower. Go for something very simple that is playable and works. Then add on that gradually. Once you get started, the sky is the limit, but you don't have to go there all at once.

Good luck with the project. If you need any help, you know where to find me.

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 03:48:58 am »
I won't try to talk you out of anything, I appreciate that you want to do your own thing. I have to say though, and I'm not trying to discourage you, but your project the way you described it in the previous post does sound extremely ambitious. Making all new maps and all new quests can literally be thousands of hours of work. There are countless projects out there (not just for fonline) that have never been released because of too high ambitions. I used to work on Fan-Made Fallout for example, a total conversion mod for fallout 2. It was going strong for about 7 years and had hundreds of members over the course of those years. I spent more hours on that project than I care to admit, and so did many others, yet we were no where near getting anything playable. It's not a matter of what is doable - almost anything can be done. But actually going all the way is a different thing all together.

Another thing to consider since you're about to start at the uni, is that you won't have 40 hours a week to spend on this. It might seem plausible at first, you might even do it for a while. But to keep that up for years? You'd truly be one of a kind to pull something like that.

And yes, I agree that releasing the game is not everything that matters. But you're lying to yourself if you say that it doesn't matter at all. Being able to finish something is a great feeling, if nothing else but to be able to look back at all that time and effort and say "this is what came out of it, I made this". And the more effort you put into a project, the more you will eventually regret it if it's never done. For me, while working on FMF was a great thing, I still feel a pinch of sadness everytime I think of it, for all those great ideas that never saw the light of day. This is the advice I would have wanted to get back then (incidentally I was exactly your age then). Be realistic and don't go that route if you can avoid it.

It's just a friendly advice, nothing more. But I would seriously consider aiming lower, much lower. Go for something very simple that is playable and works. Then add on that gradually. Once you get started, the sky is the limit, but you don't have to go there all at once.

Good luck with the project. If you need any help, you know where to find me.

I'm very thankful for your input Lidae. You are right that there is a big chance that I won't ever release this project. I've seen projects fail for the reasons you've stated many times not only in FOnline.

Even though I have everything printed inside my head like how the server is going to look like, operate and everything in between that, there is indeed a big difference actually doing it rather than imagine how it should be. I would lie to myself if I were to say that not releasing a project I've been working on is a shame. However, I truly am looking for a way to develop my skills when it comes to programming and that alone is an achievement for me.

You've opened my eyes and I can clearly see now that only a few of the larger projects succeed and that is often by massive cooperation. I know that many projects will be covered in dust after some time due to lack of interest and/or availability of programmers.

However, as I said I'm willing to give it a try. At the moment I'm not working on any other project and I consider myself having enough spare time to attend a project. There is a big chance though that I might switch over to a more documented and mainstream game for my own convenience.

Maybe starting a smaller project on a documented and mainstream game will be a good idea. I can always return to FOnline if I ever wanted to but it's not as easy to actually go back in time if I fail on a large project, as you've stated.

This has made me think a lot. Thank you Lidae for clearing things up for me. I want to show gratitude towards your mature approach and your wise words. I truly hope that AoP will be a great success and that I shall find either a simple but playable idea for FOnline or to start a smaller project in another game.

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 11:07:11 am »
You can create small singleplayer FOnline mod with 3-5 locations and linear storyline. You do not need to abandon FOnline :P

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 04:59:15 am »
You can create small singleplayer FOnline mod with 3-5 locations and linear storyline. You do not need to abandon FOnline :P

Are you interested in making one or why are you so active in this chat?

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 11:17:02 am »
Lol, why active? Because I like forum that's it. I am not interested in making fonline game because I got bored, I only wait for singleplayer games based on fonline engine because there are too many servers and not singleplayer games such as coming Van Buren or abandoned (??) What Remains. Anyway do you know if What Remains is abandoned or not?

Offline DocAN.

• Testing FO: Reloaded
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 10:40:55 pm »
Wish You good luck but i have bad feelings about this.
FOnline: Reloaded - Post apocalyptic mmorpg

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 11:41:11 am »
Wish You good luck but i have bad feelings about this.

Thank you.