Author Topic: Van Buren  (Read 72959 times)

Van Buren
« on: January 10, 2014, 01:20:58 pm »
Hi everyone!

My team has decided to move onto FOnline engine to create Van Buren: http://www.moddb.com/mods/f3-van-buren

I am the main developer and project lead and I'm currently setting up the basic installation. I have some questions:

- Should I use FOnline SDK or FOnline 2238 as a base for the game? 2238 is a multiplayer but I am creating a singleplayer game so I'm not sure if that's smart.
- I want to use 3D models in the game from here: http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/3d_armors_development_tracker
How can I do that?
- I need to implement mutliple vehicles. Is that only in 2238 or is it in SDK also?
- Can I use rotators tools such as WorldMap Editor only in 2238 or do they work in SDK as well?
- Can I make changes to SPECIAL without touching source code or must I contact SDK developers to do that?
- I need to convert my FO2 maps to FOnline format. How can I do that? I looked on the net for tutorials but didn't find any.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:39:19 pm by hexer »

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
Re: Van Buren
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:08:41 pm »
- Should I use FOnline SDK or FOnline 2238 as a base for the game? 2238 is a multiplayer but I am creating a singleplayer game so I'm not sure if that's smart.

Hard question. 2238 has some nice tools which will work out of the box (like World Editor), though they should work with SDK too, but it may require some additional work to set it up. SDK always has the latest version of FOnline engine - 2238 client and server is a little behind in the moment but it should be possible to upgrade 2238 to new one, it just requires some work. 2238 doesn't have official "single player mode" but it should be possible to add it (again, with some work). Single player mode is really just FOnline server running locally in the background with some changes in main menu (allowing to save and load game).

The main difference between SDK and 2338 is really in scripts and content. For a multiplayer modification I think 2238 is a better starting point, in case of single player game with completely new content, it's really hard to say.

- I need to implement mutliple vehicles. Is that only in 2238 or is it in SDK also?
Multiple vehicles are in SDK too, it's not some unique 2238 feature, though some details in car scripts are different.
Adding more vehicles is fairly starightforward, it's just special kind of items, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I need to convert my FO2 maps to FOnline format. How can I do that? I looked on the net for tutorials but didn't find any.
Check out !readme.txt in this package of Fallout maps converted to FOnline.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:30:02 pm by b__B »

Offline kompreSor

• FOnline 3
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:26:06 pm »
in FOnline Australia can play singleplayer, ask Mr Feltzer about that.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:51 am »
Yes, we can because it is based on TLA SDK.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:18:57 am »
Thank you for your help! This is all new to me but I'm learning fast. I've been reading through code yesterday and noticed that most Perks and Traits seem to be hardcoded or not implemented yet. Can this be fixed through scripting or can it be only done through the source code?

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 11:39:06 am »
most Perks and Traits seem to be hardcoded or not implemented yet
Code: [Select]
#define PE_SILENT_RUNNING            ( 316 )
#define PE_MASTER_TRADER             ( 318 )
#define PE_QUICK_POCKETS             ( 349 )
All perks handled by the engine, none of traits is even mentioned.

Beside of these three, you are free to add missing ones thru scripts - i highly doubt more perks will be added to engine.
Games are meant to be created, not played...

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 12:16:40 pm »
Yes, we can because it is based on TLA SDK.

I haven't tried in a while, but last time I checked, 2238 could be run in singleplayer too?

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:37 am »
Does anyone have Daesch's Van Buren World Map? http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Daesch's_Van_Buren_World_Map

His link is down and perhaps some of you have downloaded it in the past.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 06:43:27 pm »
Any mappers out there that would like to join the team? I want to start working on new art ASAP and an additional mapper would speed things up!

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »
Working hard on Hecate's pyramid! I'm currently finishing the paintover. This will be then combined with the source layer to give it that extra realistic touch.

Here's the WIP of an eastern corner

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:14:32 pm »

UPDATE #5

Current team lineup: Ilove3D (mapper), The Brazilian Slaughter (gameplay designer), Vaarna_Aarne (writer), grotsnik (writer), Whisky (writer), Kamoho (writer), Kane Vollstrecker (inventory art), hexer (everything else)

Hello mutants!

As you can see our team has grown. We finally found another FOnline mapper who is currently finishing Twin Mothers area. TBS joined us to help with SPECIAL and overall gameplay changes. He'll also contribute as a designer for one area.

We found a professional VO actor for our intro, end game slides, and perhaps a talking head or two.

And now for something unexpected! During our last Skype session, the team came up with the following idea - the player can play the game as either a ghoul or a super mutant! I personally can't wait to try out something different for a change.

I've been very busy making new art lately. Because there is so much of it, I'm sleeping no more than 5 hours a day. But that is the price I have to pay if I want to deliver! Currently, my game installation folder is already over 3 Gb but still there's much to be done.

P.S. We are looking for people that know how to make isometric game scenery or 3D movies.

See you around!

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:48:12 pm »
 Kids play next to Ouroboros' school while the Daughters of Hecate watch over them.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:41 pm »
Screenshots from Fallout 1 or is it only changed interface?

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 11:01:48 pm »
At the moment I can't start Fonline (I deleted a bunch of content from SDK and now the scripts are failing to start) so I made the screenshot inside Fallout 2 (except that I changed the interface into Fallout 1). We are not sure 100% if we will have a new interface or use a modified Fallout 1.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 08:18:43 am »
I redid the snake mosaic and now it actually looks like a mosaic! I'm moving on now to finish other parts of Ouroboros.