FOnline Development > FOnline Projects

Van Buren

(1/28) > >>

hexer:
Hi everyone!

My team has decided to move onto FOnline engine to create Van Buren: http://www.moddb.com/mods/f3-van-buren

I am the main developer and project lead and I'm currently setting up the basic installation. I have some questions:

- Should I use FOnline SDK or FOnline 2238 as a base for the game? 2238 is a multiplayer but I am creating a singleplayer game so I'm not sure if that's smart.
- I want to use 3D models in the game from here: http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/3d_armors_development_tracker
How can I do that?
- I need to implement mutliple vehicles. Is that only in 2238 or is it in SDK also?
- Can I use rotators tools such as WorldMap Editor only in 2238 or do they work in SDK as well?
- Can I make changes to SPECIAL without touching source code or must I contact SDK developers to do that?
- I need to convert my FO2 maps to FOnline format. How can I do that? I looked on the net for tutorials but didn't find any.

JovankaB:

--- Quote ---- Should I use FOnline SDK or FOnline 2238 as a base for the game? 2238 is a multiplayer but I am creating a singleplayer game so I'm not sure if that's smart.
--- End quote ---

Hard question. 2238 has some nice tools which will work out of the box (like World Editor), though they should work with SDK too, but it may require some additional work to set it up. SDK always has the latest version of FOnline engine - 2238 client and server is a little behind in the moment but it should be possible to upgrade 2238 to new one, it just requires some work. 2238 doesn't have official "single player mode" but it should be possible to add it (again, with some work). Single player mode is really just FOnline server running locally in the background with some changes in main menu (allowing to save and load game).

The main difference between SDK and 2338 is really in scripts and content. For a multiplayer modification I think 2238 is a better starting point, in case of single player game with completely new content, it's really hard to say.

--- Quote ---- I need to implement mutliple vehicles. Is that only in 2238 or is it in SDK also?
--- End quote ---
Multiple vehicles are in SDK too, it's not some unique 2238 feature, though some details in car scripts are different.
Adding more vehicles is fairly starightforward, it's just special kind of items, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

--- Quote ---I need to convert my FO2 maps to FOnline format. How can I do that? I looked on the net for tutorials but didn't find any.
--- End quote ---
Check out !readme.txt in this package of Fallout maps converted to FOnline.

kompreSor:

--- Quote from: hexer on January 10, 2014, 01:20:58 pm ---- Should I use FOnline SDK or FOnline 2238 as a base for the game? 2238 is a multiplayer but I am creating a singleplayer game so I'm not sure if that's smart.

--- End quote ---
in FOnline Australia can play singleplayer, ask Mr Feltzer about that.

fonliner:
Yes, we can because it is based on TLA SDK.

hexer:
Thank you for your help! This is all new to me but I'm learning fast. I've been reading through code yesterday and noticed that most Perks and Traits seem to be hardcoded or not implemented yet. Can this be fixed through scripting or can it be only done through the source code?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version