Author Topic: Looking to set up a FOnline server  (Read 5356 times)

Looking to set up a FOnline server
« on: October 25, 2013, 04:40:58 am »
I'm trying to set up a custom FOnline server and I'm looking for a few people who are patient and willing to help me test and set up the server. Programming knowledge is a huge plus, as I have none. Knowledge with creating maps and adding buildings, NPCs, etc. to the game is also a huge plus. Really anything that can help with the game is. I'm not really counting on anyone being interested, but I thought I would try anyways. Message me here or on Skype (skype is prophetraz1311) if you're interested. My goal is to create a FOnline server that is quite different from the others out there. One of the main features being no full loot (except for in designated hardcore PVP areas), but still having a death penalty.

EDIT: Game Pitch Document: http://www.mediafire.com/?b6xxpc1v0qa571b

I need:
1 Programmer
1-3 Writers
1-3 Artists
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:08:05 pm by Aralvar »

Re: Looking to set up a FOnline server
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:33:43 pm »
You should get the basics straight. Learning to setup the server and customize some of the gameplay aspects.

http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,12198.0.html
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,12249.0.html

Here is a 2 part tutorial.

Also read this topic as well http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,8776.0.html it contains lots of good information and most of your questions are already answered here.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:37:43 pm by raynor009 »

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 08:57:51 pm »
Yep, I read those tutorials and I know how to set up the server as well as get others to connect to it. I've tested it myself. Thanks for those, by the way!

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:49:49 am »
UPDATE: Who I want specifically:

1 programmer, knowledgeable in C++ and/or AngelScript
1-3 artists, for location design
1-3 writers, for dialogue and story writing

The programmer will have his name listed on the title screen, as an added incentive.
The artists just need to learn how to use the Mapper Tool for FOnline: 2238 which I will send to them, and they have creative freedom to create the towns and other locations that I assign to them. I just need to approve it when it's finished.
The writers also have creative freedom to create different stories and pieces of dialogue in the game, I just need to approve it at the end just like with the artists to make sure there's nothing over the top.

Come on guys, this will be a lot of fun!

Offline Shangalar

• Dictatorial Tyrant
    • Generation Fallout
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 02:28:51 pm »
and so, what else will you do except approving their work?

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 05:52:24 pm »
I'd basically just be the coordinator. Everything would get turned into me and I'd make sure it all gets put into the game properly. I also would be the one running the server from my computer. I only know how to do 3D modeling which isn't of use for this game. I'm willing to be taught, but there aren't people available to teach me all the programming aspects of the game and there aren't tutorials made for everything I'd need to know.

And yes, I know why you asked. I sound downright useless. I'd only have a small part in the project, but there's not much I can do about that. I don't have any special talents that are required for the game, but I will contribute as much as I possibly can.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 06:23:54 pm »
I'd only have a small part in the project, but there's not much I can do about that. I don't have any special talents that are required for the game, but I will contribute as much as I possibly can.
Nobody is born with the knowledge of how to program or make fonline scripts. If you lack the skills to make a server, you would have to learn it just as many others have before you. From my experience, if you want something done, you'll have to do it yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making a server, but you almost certainly will not find anyone to help you with your project unless you contribute to it yourself. Except if you pay them for it, but I assume that is not going to happen. Anybody with the skills to help out would probably rather make his own server, if he isn't already.

If you're serious about it and you really are willing to be taught, you should consider learning some C++ or other programming language first. I'm sure there are many excellent, free, online tutorials and lessons you can do to learn the basics. (I hear codeacademy is good). Then when you at least understand the basic syntax, you can start experimenting with the fonline scripts and learn by the multitude of examples that you already have at your disposal. It's not rocket science, all you need is time and patience.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 07:13:22 pm »
Original post edited with pitch document.

Nobody is born with the knowledge of how to program or make fonline scripts. If you lack the skills to make a server, you would have to learn it just as many others have before you. From my experience, if you want something done, you'll have to do it yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making a server, but you almost certainly will not find anyone to help you with your project unless you contribute to it yourself. Except if you pay them for it, but I assume that is not going to happen. Anybody with the skills to help out would probably rather make his own server, if he isn't already.

If you're serious about it and you really are willing to be taught, you should consider learning some C++ or other programming language first. I'm sure there are many excellent, free, online tutorials and lessons you can do to learn the basics. (I hear codeacademy is good). Then when you at least understand the basic syntax, you can start experimenting with the fonline scripts and learn by the multitude of examples that you already have at your disposal. It's not rocket science, all you need is time and patience.

True, I can learn some basics of how to code some things into FOnline. I'd still need a programmer for the complex stuff though, such as the repair system and player housing. I'm already doing my best to learn a few things, but it'd take me months if not years to know enough to be the programmer for the game. I'm willing to spend months working with people on the project, but I'm not willing to spend months learning to how to program the whole thing.

Right now I'll focus on learning how to do a few things for the project though, so I'm at least a little more useful.

Oh yeah, and Codecademy doesn't do C++. There are other, if not more difficult, ways to learn it though.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:23:34 pm by Aralvar »

JovankaB

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:29:05 am »
I only know how to do 3D modeling which isn't of use for this game.

Depends how ambitious you would want your project to be, but if the game isn't in the original Fallout 1/2 locations, then a 3D artist can be very helpful. In order for locations not to look dull, any larger town needs a unique piece of scenery that makes the town different from the rest. Usually it's entrances, main buildings or other larger landmarks relevant to the local setting and/or storyline. These are usually rendered 3D models. Almost every location in Fallout 1/2 has something like that. Of course many of the unique sceneries from Fallout can be reused, but there is only so much you can do with it (for example you probably wouldn't reuse the New Reno entrance and you may need something that isn't in the original games).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:08:29 am by b__B »