Author Topic: Final Stage  (Read 16772 times)

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
Final Stage
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:37:19 am »
Hello. A few months ago I heard that FO:2238 was officially going down, and it made me a bit sad to be honest. I knew that this fodev.net was launched but I guess I didn't pay much attention to it, and never realised that the forum was still here.
 Now, since 2238 is offline, the project has to be aimed towards a different direction, and moving it to another private Fonline project would not be fair, so I guess a good choice would be for it be released for public use.  That's why I wanted to ask for the opinion of everyone involved in the project. Of course everyone should be credited and I'd like to make a list of those people who helped.
  I'll try and find a way to prepare a working test server when the "mod" is ready. After that, if you agree, I'll release a guide on how to configurate it in the server.

The status for the project was 90% on the old SDK. Only missing some items (just my fault, I need to add them) and some tweaks on existing animations, which are not very important because that can be done at any time. In fact, most of the animations, models, textures, will be perfectioned by many people after this is released.
  The current status goes down to 80% when I port it to the new SDK because of some incompatibility issues. I still have 24 animations to re-export, because non of them worked. Also, I don't know what kind of trouble I could find as I advance on the process, I hope not many.

The current state of the repository corresponds to the old SDK release and it should work on any release before the adittion of the library called "Assimp", which is needed to load assets in OpenGL. So If I update the repo, the whole older working copy goes away.
I'll update once I finish this re-export process, which will take a week, perhaps.

I hope everything goes right after all. Thanks, I'll be around and will bring you the news.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Re: Final Stage
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:58:47 pm »
Well, you got my agreement for public release of our work, when it's done. Also, I'm willing to help. In fact, I'm already doing this, but oh well. I hope there are more people left, who are still in a mood of finishing things up.

Offline Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:13:32 pm »
I'm still searching for some commands to change the appearance in admin mode, as i need to test the item coordinates in-game.

So im interested to help you, guys.

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:07:18 pm »
I agree with releasing the 3d work to the public there have been so much work in it that it would be waste to let it unfinished. Well to be short I wish to help too.
I'm looking forward to news on this.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:15:40 pm »
Wasn't it always meaned to be for public? That's how we wanted to get as many people as possible into it, at least.

Though I have no idea what FOnline game would take it up nowadays, as apparently everyone only likes to use the same 10 2d sprites. Oh well. It was still pretty cool looking, just requires a few more tweaks and fixed on graphic and code / shader side. Nothing that would have been impossible to do.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:17:42 pm by Lexx »

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 05:49:18 am »
Hi lexx, I guess it's always been public, everyone can access the repository, but there were many things we suggested, and some we actually tried, that were meant to be implemented inside the game itself, like additional armors, or special animations. Now I'd like to focus on the basics, create some kind of "toolset", so that the person who will use it could easily work with it and modify it any way the need. This whole 3D rendering offers many possibilities, and even though I'm always willing to go further and explore them, I believe our goal at this time is to get everything working properly.
 Another thing is that there is not much info on how to implement these models in a Fonline server/project, so even though anyone can download the files, they won't work if you don't know how to set them up. That's what I meant when I said "a different direction"

Ok, the news:
-The new SDK is giving me a little less trouble  :P
- I made the sprite animations for Explode, pulse, and burn deaths to be rendered (2D) when you kill a 3d critter, looks great.
Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tQXfHdjZYM&feature=youtu.be
 But in the new SDK, death anims are not working exactly the same as it did on the older version I've been using. Check this out:

Old SDK way:
1.critter dies
2.body type automatically changes
3.dead guy plays the animation for dying

New SDK way:
1.critter dies
2.body type automatically changes and we see a dead guy on the floor for half a second
3.then dead guy plays the animation for dying

It seems that the old SDK switched the body faster, and we never noticed the guy was already dead when he played the anim.
 Of course if it switched bodies before he died, there wouldn't be any problem. But I can't do that. Maybe somebody that knows more about the engine and programming
could fix it easily.

-more news, this SDK works better with alpha channels, so I've been testing blood effects.
Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBhWrvpsEo&feature=youtu.be

-Animations are now converted. With some good help from Graf, we re-exported all of the animations, that were not working in part because of the format, and also because now
the animations names are case sensitive, so if the male animation is called "Run", and the female is called "run" one of them is not going to run at all. I'll check them all so we
can move on.

That's all folks.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 07:53:01 am »
Wow! These sprite deaths are looking better, than I could have ever expected. Great work, as always.

P.S. I'm going to send messages everyone who has ever participated in this project, so that we would have opinions from most of these people.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:44:27 pm by Graf »

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:12:18 pm »
Have you figured out how to get the 3d characters to work for FO:2238 SDK? Or is this just for TLA SDK? I couldn't for the life of me.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:07:13 pm »
I never used 2238 SDK, so I don't know. However, the reason the models are not working is because I was using an older SDK. Now I'm uploading the new files to the repository. You should try those files once they are uploaded.

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 03:00:52 pm »
I would like to see finally completed 3d models, well it is going to be never ending story.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 08:23:39 am »
Patience, my friend. The project is still being developed. We are now separating models into a few parts, so that it can be used with slots, like in many other roleplaying games.

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 11:47:58 am »
What will be backward compatibility with already created meshes? Maybe I should ask Cvet on IRC about this...

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:13:46 pm »
Hahaha great to know you guys are still working on this.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 08:37:52 pm »
Sounds great but can you post some screenshots or even videos same as before? How it looks etc.

Offline xsarq

• You Can't Kill What's Already Dead
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 03:32:26 pm »
Is this still alive?

Will it be used in Fonline2, Reloaded, TLA, Rquiem or Ashes of Pheanix?
Scamers: Grimmi
Beware of trading with this person.