Author Topic: Open Source FOnline: 2238  (Read 78710 times)

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
Re: Open Source FOnline: 2238
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »
Make sure you actually started the server. Just running the server application is not enough you have to press "start server" button.

Offline Atom

• Rotator
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 05:35:39 pm »
Hmm, was anyone able to make a faction? I keep getting "sorry never heard about you guys" message whatever name I type into SAY box. After a small investigation it looks like this part:

bool IsFactionNameValid(const string& name)

always gives false to me. And yep no typos etc.
What's in server logs during initialisation:

Also ~ffn gives a proper list of factions so it looks like they are loaded.

Any clues?

Fixed at github, it was .gitattributes forcing a CRLF->LF conversion regardless of the local settings and this managed to break a few things.
The source snapshot hosted by us will be repacked soon.

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 09:05:57 am »
Thank you for the help.
I patiently waited for long time for SDK 2238platform. You have made the noobs at this, so so happy. :D
Ranger of the Wastes. The Wastes still needs civilised people.

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 09:55:45 am »
So you managed to start it? :)

If you make something cool with it, even small, think about sharing it on the forum :)

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 10:19:26 am »
Am I basically able to download this and run around inside 2238 as if it were single player but with and admins abilities to change whatever I want in the game?

I know nothing about modding but have always wanted to learn.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 10:27:50 am »
You won't be able to modify the game from running around inside of it with admin rights, but other than that, yes.

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 10:31:07 am »
You can change many things temporarily with admin commands (basically the way events were done) but it's not really modifying the game, just reusing what there is already. If you wanted to really change the game, you have to edit maps, dialogs, scripts etc. It's all available in the server package along with tools (except the mapper which is included with client).

Others players can connect to your server too if you give your IP/port. Although typical home connection isn't suitable to handle as many players as 2238 had.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:42:48 am by b__B »

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 12:14:08 am »
You won't be able to modify the game from running around inside of it with admin rights, but other than that, yes.

That's a lie to be honest, you can do everything by typing the right stuff in chat.

lmfao, this forum just got even better.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 12:20:08 am »
So you managed to start it? :)

If you make something cool with it, even small, think about sharing it on the forum :)

Yes, got it started ;D, i thought it was freezing at first when server reloads scripts, haha.

I will definitly share anything i make. ATM i been working on making scenary for a location.

I know nothing about modding but have always wanted to learn.

Tyler as a starting point, i would make a map, and add it into the game. With the amount of info on this forum, and tips from rotaters and experiened scripters, nothing is impossible.
Ranger of the Wastes. The Wastes still needs civilised people.

Offline Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:23 am »
I kinda just realized yesterday that this was a repository like the other SDK (I went to the "download ZIP" button the first time I downloaded this).

If I put https://github.com/rotators/fo2238 as the address on the Tortoise SVN program, it creates ".svn" (hidden), "branches", and "trunk" folders.
My question is why the .svn folder needs to be that large? This applies more to the original FOnline SDK; for that, my .svn folder is 907 MB large. For 2238, it's only 383 MB large, but still kinda large. Neither is really that big, but I still wonder why.

Also, the Client + Mapper does not seem to be a repository, just .zip file. If there are improvements to the Client or 2238 Mapper, I guess you'll make an announcement or something? Or, is that not planned?
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 07:56:36 am »
That's a lie to be honest, you can do everything by typing the right stuff in chat.

lmfao, this forum just got even better.

This won't be a persistent modification. Resetting the location will revert everything.

Offline Atom

• Rotator
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31:53 am »

A minor disambiguation happened here. Using the console, one cannot modify the game mechanics to any meaningful extent, like replacing the combat mechanics, adding new event handlers, implementing behaviour trees, or adding a new command for that matter (nor it would be feasible to do such things from the chat window in the first place). Those are things that actually "modify the game". On the other hand, spawning items and npcs is not modding FOnline, just like typing idkfa or iddqd is not modding Doom.

Modification of the current state of the ingame world is naturally possible to a large degree even with the hardcoded set of commands (note that 2238 overrides some of those commands to handle them on its own, the prime example being getaccess). This is however limited to the already scripted (or hardcoded) commands.

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »
I was wondering that under what license did you guys released your source, because i didn't saw anything related? The server/client is under the original SDK license I assume, but what about the custom scripts and new tools?

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 11:40:08 am »
HELLO? am I the only one who sees that its NOT open source? Just downloaded client + mapper and its only binaries there!

I am not interested in server sources - I need client and mapper sources, everyone can write their own servers, yaknow

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 12:20:06 pm »
The stuff we did - FOnline: 2238 scripts, dll extensions and content (maps, dialogs etc) are open sourced. That's what makes 2238 different from any other FOnline server. Client and server binaries are the same (or almost the same) as in FOnline SDK. The FOnline engine is not open source and it's not up to Rotators to make it so - you have to ask the person who created it (cvet), not us.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:51:40 pm by b__B »