Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 32373 times)

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2016, 05:14:42 pm »
Problem is that not much going on around FOnline these days except very few working titles so hard to expect buzzing forum.

Yeah, exactly, we usually cover all the major events, like server wipes and there's some activity in http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/board,52.0.html from time to time. But overall not much is happening at the moment, in the open at least.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 08:09:58 am »
And we got nobody who feels the mood to write something. :>

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 09:20:35 pm »
What guys do you think about writing complete FOnline Bible which includes history of development process, servers and so on?

Or maybe something about FOnline docs and tutorials series? From time to time I can see people's topics where they ask for help and generslly "how to make sth". Maybe talk with cvet about FOnline future, change something... What is cvet going to do? Does he still develop engine? Where can I find something more about his plans etc... if he plans sth?

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2016, 09:47:54 am »
You can check here
https://xp-dev.com/sc/76003/HEAD/
what cvet doing.

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2016, 11:22:20 am »
Is not so hard to check what cvet doing with engine or what some developers doing with their servers. In most cases all changelogs are published, same like characteristics and history of such projects so just you need to dig it on forums and pages to find it, classify and publish.
Such chronicler work can be done by everyone so well, don't hesitate and do it.  ;)

Here and on fonline.ru we have a lot of threads "how to" and tutorials so nah, it is enough of that. Being able to use "search" is first test of ability to modding fallout/fonline.  ;D

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2016, 02:58:34 pm »
Nah, I don't even see something about FOnline before 2009 or 2008. Nobody writes how it was started in 2004 and so. I know it isn't important but I would like to read that kind of dev diary. And what I mean, well actually people from outside community don't know that FOnline is more than one server. Maybe you don't see it but sometimes when I find somewhere infos about FOnline, people think that there is only one Fallout Online etc. - they don't realize about the whole community. So that's why I would like to see more detailed history about our FOnline community.

About tutorials, ihmo most of these tuts are cursory and not detailed but it all depends on people's skills and if they really want to do sth. But generally for people who aren't in community what would you like to give? There aren't any further detailed docs or manuals, everything "is fine as it is". Slowhand's and 2238's short manual tuts are nearly good but ihmo they should be expanded in both directions - advanced and simple detailed ways.

I don't know but as you can see it's good to think about it. Let's see 7 years and we are slowly dying...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:21:30 pm by fonliner »

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 06:24:28 pm »
Nah, I don't even see something about FOnline before 2009 or 2008. Nobody writes how it was started in 2004 and so. I know it isn't important but I would like to read that kind of dev diary. And what I mean, well actually people from outside community don't know that FOnline is more than one server. Maybe you don't see it but sometimes when I find somewhere infos about FOnline, people think that there is only one Fallout Online etc. - they don't realize about the whole community. So that's why I would like to see more detailed history about our FOnline community.

Rotators wasn't involved in FOnline before 2008. We started development in late 2008 / early 2009 after OBT2. I think you'd have to ask cvet to get a complete picture of the years before that, but basically the original project was started in 2004 (maybe?) by Oleg "olegmmm" Mareskin and cvet was one of the contributors. Sometime after that everyone else except cvet stopped working on it, so he "forked it" and started working on it as closed source. Here's the original source code, it's very different from the current source code, only has DirectX8 rendering and doesn't really work... but some of the base for current engine is there.

About tutorials, ihmo most of these tuts are cursory and not detailed but it all depends on people's skills and if they really want to do sth. But generally for people who aren't in community what would you like to give? There aren't any further detailed docs or manuals, everything "is fine as it is". Slowhand's and 2238's short manuam tuts are nearly good but ihmo they should be expanded in both directions - advanced and simple detailed ways.
Yes, agreed, but it takes a lot of time to write good technical documentation that is understandable by everyone. I think Slowhand has done a very good job, but sadly the way to learn after doing his tutorials is still to just download the source, try to decipher various things on this forum and then experiment. It's very steep, but it's better than a few years ago when a lot had to be translated from russian.

If you or someone else feels like doing some work with guides/tutorials, we will absolutely highlight it on the frontpage  :)

I don't know but as you can see it's good to think about it. Let's see 7 years and we are slowly dying...
Community is just the sum of its parts, stuff doesn't happen of itself as no one is paid to do this and while we were doing 2238 it was almost a full time job for us, with server management + constant development every single day. I'm not complaining as it was tremendous amount of fun and I've learned a lot, just saying as it it. :)

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2016, 09:59:02 pm »
About tutorials, ihmo most of these tuts are cursory and not detailed but it all depends on people's skills and if they really want to do sth. But generally for people who aren't in community what would you like to give? There aren't any further detailed docs or manuals, everything "is fine as it is". Slowhand's and 2238's short manual tuts are nearly good but ihmo they should be expanded in both directions - advanced and simple detailed ways.

Can only agree with Ghosthack here. I mean, can't imagine how Slows tutorials could have been done better to get people started. You need some patience and maybe first start some totally other project in programming but at the time you already know some basics they are really helpful.

I'm pretty sure it was posted before but still... if you search for docs here you go: http://docs.fonline.ru/

Just use google translator for descriptions of what methods do. It's also included within the SDK itself by the way.

Offline kompreSor

• FOnline 3
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2017, 03:58:12 pm »
i have suggestion
while almost all fonline servers using Discord istead irc, maybe time for fodev too?

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 01:11:57 pm »
Isn't discord just another chat software? I've already heard some folks are using it for development coordination and stuff, but I somehow can't believe it to be that good for such tasks.

Offline Slowhand

• Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 06:41:54 pm »
Isn't discord just another chat software? I've already heard some folks are using it for development coordination and stuff, but I somehow can't believe it to be that good for such tasks.

It is better than IRC in the way that it stores history, so even if you are not connected, you get the info on those servers/chat rooms your are subscribed to. Other than this, it consumes more resources, has the annoyance of all new age programs, like working in background when closing it etc.

Offline Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 08:48:19 pm »
It is better than IRC in the way that it stores history, so even if you are not connected, you get the info on those servers/chat rooms your are subscribed to.
Yeah, this is a nice.

Other than this, it consumes more resources, has the annoyance of all new age programs, like working in background when closing it etc.
And the protocol is proprietary, while IRC can be used from everywhere, writing a client for any device is easy so there's a lot of choice.