Poll

¿Do you want the codes released?

Yes, please do.
- 62 (87.3%)
No, please don’t.
- 9 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Release The Codes.  (Read 24188 times)

Re: Release The Codes.
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2013, 09:03:30 pm »

And again so. I suspect that the “lone survivor” will just be a machine, maintained only so far as absolutely necessary and never tinkered with because that owner will (rightly, wrongly, or otherwise) believe they have “perfected” the game, and even then mainly because THEY want to play… They really won’t care who comes, if anyone, but will leave the door open “just in case.” (Kinda like opening a restaurant because you like food, and “miraculously” having a day job that keeps the doors open, even without customers.)
No, moreso not having the know-how or the time to start active development. 

Like I said in a PM to you; getting a player base for a server such as this is really quite simple.  A good playerbase could easily be formed just by getting in touch with the top fallout fan pages on facebook; and asking them to make a post announcing the server and how to get in. 

As some have already said, 99% of the fallout fans have no clue this even exists.  I have friends who are very avid f1&2 fans, who still put hours into the games; that have no clue that the fonline engine even exists.  The only way I found it was by reading a gaming blog; and I had searched endlessly for Fallout Online servers, in hopes of finding a Fallout 3 online api. 

As for some other improvements we plan to do on the engine (Haven't looked into if these are already in it) is Mysql integration so that we could easily communicate with the outside world.  I know your thinking we plan on getting a webstore for the server just by reading that; but that is not the case.  We would stick closely to how the other communities pay for the server hosting; through donations.  This is mainly because we don't want Bethesda to get upset, as I'm sure the reasoning is for the system here; however we do have servers in other games where donations come in too; so it'll be much easier for us to pay the bill.  The reason we are doing mysql integration is because we want our players to easily be able to access their character information; to perhaps show off on their forum signature, on or off our site.  It also makes things much more easy on our dev & administration team; our cross game system. 

As I posted in the other thread in suggestions; if there are any devs that want to work on Fonline; but havent the money to host a Dedi, your more than welcome to join our team once we get started!  The offer also goes out to all current GMs of 2238; if you guys aren't working on other things, and if the 2238 administration team dosent have future projects planned that having you on our team would cut into what their doing.  Just send me a PM, and I'll let you know more on what were doing. 

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2013, 09:16:40 pm »

I love how people pull out random % values out of their hats.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:19:57 pm by Lexx »
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2013, 09:31:17 pm »

Just when their making an example ;).
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2013, 09:42:45 pm »

Spiritwind you are speaking the truth but I'm afraid to inform you that you are wasting your time here.
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2013, 12:37:31 am »

Those are called over-exaggerations.
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2013, 02:18:59 am »

I stand by my numbers with a 5% MOE. Time will tell if I am correct or not, but I suspect that, if anything, I very dangerously low balled it.

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 05:42:32 am »

Those are called over-exaggerations.

Actually, over-exaggeration is impossible. That would be like over-overfilling something. Just sayan.
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2013, 05:50:30 am »

At this point, barring dome new insight not to release, I'd say this matter has been discussed fully. It's time to lock it.
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 09:46:44 am »

At this point, barring dome new insight not to release, I'd say this matter has been discussed fully. It's time to lock it.

You'll just start another topic, I say keep it going.

Maybe we can contain it all here...
Iguana Pete's sister

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 12:32:16 pm »

Actually, over-exaggeration is impossible. That would be like over-overfilling something. Just sayan.

Why? You can estimate some values and totally over-exaggerate with your judgement on the approximation.

I stand by my numbers with a 5% MOE. Time will tell if I am correct or not, but I suspect that, if anything, I very dangerously low balled it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNAaDKZ-SuE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNAaDKZ-SuE</a>
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:47:16 pm by T-888 »
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 07:17:59 pm »

There does not appear to be a "Report" button...
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 10:48:01 pm »

As some people already said in this thread, I doubt it's possible to get much use out of 2238's content. What it does have and which makes it an important thing to have, are the more general mechanics. The fact that we can be certain that everything is translated to english properly, the gm tools, the cars and many other "features" can lessen the burden for many other fonline scripters. I personally would only want the 2238 for the script of metzger's slaving quests and maybe a couple admin/gm related tools and commands.

I think the most productive outcome would be to have the 2238 sdk work as a fonline scripting example,a modder's ressource stripped down to the bare essentials. Being closer to the fallout 2 than the available tla or moba sdk's and being 100% translated to proper english, it would probably be a better starting point for new projects than tla sdk.

In fact, it would only be detrimental to the community as a whole and the future of the engine if the released sdk was playable. Since there is neither scripting experience, nor a big devteam needed to turn the current 2238 sdk into a giant hinkley that might manage to attract a couple of players, making sure that only devteams suitable for running a big long-time project in the first place are able to use the 2238 ressources would prevent a sudden inflation of wannabe-2238-clones. After all I doubt that any big enough and serious enough devteam would use the codes simply for the sake of "fixing it", but rather to give their own ideas some room.

That said, stripping down an sdk is easier said than done haha
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.