Poll

¿Do you want the codes released?

Yes, please do.
- 62 (87.3%)
No, please don’t.
- 9 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Release The Codes.  (Read 24215 times)

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
Re: Release The Codes.
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:29 am »

one is still registered but now playing TLA solely because of the shut down, and I quit over the rampant PKing, lack of power armor, and insane requirements to join any of the traditionally heroic factions, mostly the BoS and Rangers
Insane requirements?200 bullets is an insane requirement?

And we've been through this,there is no way for Power Armor to be implemented without powerful factions farming 1000s of them and ruining any balance that is left.

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 10:51:43 am »

at least to give the "oportunity" to others to continue to contribute to a usefull past time ;)  BTW, to any that ask to make it single player, just play 1 and/or 2 please

It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 03:54:38 pm »

And we've been through this,there is no way for Power Armor to be implemented without powerful factions farming 1000s of them and ruining any balance that is left.
I'd never heard about this, but I ask ¿why can't the GM's intercede?
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:34 am »

Yes, have the GM's intercede, spend all of their time deleting extra power armors, get bitched at for doing it, more rampant claims of favortism on the forum due to them deleting faction A's 900 powerarmors and not deleting faction B's 5.
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 12:58:39 am »

¿Please don’t what, exactly?

I want to take a knife and peel my eyes out when reading your post.

Releasing the code of 2238 is a very bad idea, there can be certain positive aspects to it, but they simply will not out-weight the harm it can do. Not worth the risk, sure there is always the possibility of some actual decent people taking parts of the code and doing something worthwhile with it, but that is highly unlikely, not even talking about someone upholding viable projects with this material. I cannot imagine anything worse than bunch of 2238 half empty, slightly modified clone servers that will be upheld by who knows how many 2238 improving wannabe's splitting the community.

The result would be some vomit.

9Ø%

Seriously, wtf?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:02:23 am by T-888 »
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 04:48:08 am »

Insane requirements?200 bullets is an insane requirement?
2ØØ AP rounds… That means AWB, meaning… PKer’s.
I missed that discussion, but I could address that… Although, honestly, only one way comes to mind quickly. I’m sure a few ideas have been floated around, if I see some I’ll take note of them and see if any are workable. (Thank you for pointing that out, though…)
Not worth the risk, sure there is always the possibility of some actual decent people taking parts of the code and doing something worthwhile with it, but that is highly unlikely, not even talking about someone upholding viable projects with this material.
¿Risks? Please, say more…
Seriously, wtf?
Pragmatic mathematics. Realistically speaking, 9Ø% would fail to try to begin with, 9Ø% who try wouldn’t intend (or be able to) go public, and 9Ø%  of those who try… Will fail. I intend not to even try… Just a me and “maybe” a few friends…

Mike Crosser

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 06:58:30 am »

2ØØ AP rounds… That means AWB, meaning… PKer’s.I missed that discussion, but I could address that…
Isn't the risk worth the reward?
Besides,there are other ways to get equipment and munition.
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 07:53:42 am »

Bargaining has passed…
An interesting point…
At this point, this poll has served it maximum efficacy. Whatever decisions are to be made, are made. The purpose of the poll, to gauge fan support for a release, has passed. Whatever minds may have been influenced by such support, have, by now, surely been made up. Therefore, I am locking the poll at this point with:
62 Yes (87.3%)
9 No (12.7%)

Which, I must confess, is a bit surprising; I began this poll with an open thought as to what direction it would go- That is to say, I started with a trepidation that it might go the other way.

I know the devs can and will do what they want in the end; Even the minds that are made up to support the motion may step back, on the belief, rightly wrongly or otherwise, that the majority of the other devs will not support the motion. At that, even if all the devs did fully support the motion (I am aware, and was beforehand, that not everyone would; at least ONE would say “No, release nothing not even some ancillary materials”), that nothing ‘may’ come of it (lost in the bureaucracy, as it were, of the shut down).

There is no bad guy in this matter, in the end; The site is being shut down. Stores close all the time, from reasons ranging from lack of business to a supra-abundance of business (admittedly, this reason is fairly rare) to retirement of the owners to simply being sold by the owners to start a new business. I have heard some of the objections (all of the objections offered openly, as well as a few offered privately; I am sure there are more that have not been offered). I have also heard some of the reasons for the shut down; Some are perfectly legitimate (agitation of staff from “ungrateful” players), others reasonable (cash flow, though other options have been presented in this question), some rather questionable (mainly, in terms of playerbase; under the totality of circumstances, I’d say 2238 has generally been a success story in terms of playerbase, and the “decline” thereof is measurable and traceable). Perhaps it was simply, too big to succeed… Too new, too revolutionary, in a sense, it reached further than it’s abilities to produce. Perhaps it was too antiquated, too old fashioned, to succeed. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps… It matters not one whit. Nor, in the end, can the poll; It was intended to give the developers and other staff a means to measure what support such a release has- In other words, “If we do so, ¿will anyone take a copy?” By now, I submit, you have your answer: And based on my rather questionable mathematics, it is “possible” that, in a years time, one new 2238 public clone, with modifications, might exist; It will probably fail spectacularly (shuttering after one week or so). I would be willing to guestimate that a doᵶen or so “private” clones may exist in 1Ø years time, with over a hundred having come and gone, opening to some excitement of the original players only to be discarded and abandoned when they discover to their horror that they can do no better than the staff here did. (I must confess, mapper is an outright bitch to master… I still can’t get any of them to work for me.)

So, let the chips fall where they may. Developers and staff, you have your answer, at very least; There is a strong support for releasing the codes, and apparently some dangers thereof as well. I predict that, if released, most clones will be private clones, and I do hope that, if the potential compatibility issues are overcome, they will have some degree of interconnectivity (much like, say, Minecraft now works).
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 10:21:04 am »

UNLEASH THE TITANS!!!
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 12:16:42 pm »

Realistically speaking, 9Ø% would fail to try to begin with, 9Ø% who try wouldn’t intend (or be able to) go public, and 9Ø%  of those who try… Will fail. I intend not to even try… Just a me and “maybe” a few friends…

I am familiar with your type of people, when provided with common sense you start to glitch followed with incapability to write something comprehensible. Ultimately you are incorrect, just about everything and your brain has a hard time accepting that whenever it tries to piece that logic together, that what you wrote is the glitch and if you will try to explain it, you will go to even in deeper nonsense.

When dealing with such type of people, ignoring and showing the door is the only sane solution to not damage health by talking with them.

Shangalar

• Dictatorial Tyrant
    • Generation Fallout
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »

No doubt T-888 is back. Collector message already, thanks a lot.
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2013, 05:53:20 pm »

I cannot imagine anything worse than bunch of 2238 half empty, slightly modified clone servers that will be upheld by who knows how many 2238 improving wannabe's splitting the community.
Perhaps you need to look into the price of renting decent Dedicated Servers from a host, or the price of buying one and having the bill of having it installed and upkept in a datacenter ;).  You'll quickly find that 90% of any 2238 servers will be hosted from peoples computers, which will fail quickly as nobody really wants that running on their computer in the background all the time, and draining every bit of internet they have.  Then, you'll be left with the 10% that are actually on a good enough  machine to handle 2238 with a decent amount of players and no lag.  5% of those won't last 3 months.  The owners will quickly decide that the cost is much more than its worth, too hard to form a good administration team, and others will lose interest because there will be no significant active development. 

Of the last 5%, there will be active development, a server on a stable machine will be maintained. 

Do you see what I'm saying?  Yes, there will be a forest of 2238 servers for a bit.  However, most of us will not even know the IP; and they will fade away quickly, leaving the ones who have a team of developers who are actually trying to improve the game. 

I really hope the devs decide to release the source; however I will let you guys know that my team of developers and myself have talked; and either way we will be making a fonline server; with active development as described above.  We've already verified that our Dedicated can handle a fonline server without any problems; as it thrived under various stress tests.  I have a community to back it, funding, development, advertisement, and word of mouth.

We hope the devs will release the 2238 source, so we don't have to spend a lot of time just getting in the basics that made 2238 awesome; and can get right at work at making it even better, but that is up for them to decide. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:01:17 pm by Spiritwind »
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2013, 06:40:33 pm »

I am familiar with your type of people, when provided with common sense you start to glitch followed with incapability to write something comprehensible.
I assure you, sir, ¡you have never met anyone like me! lol…
I waited 1Ø years for THIS… Only to see it die so quickly, which is quit unfortunate.
When dealing with such type of people, ignoring and showing the door is the only sane solution to not damage health by talking with them.
By all means, please do. lol…
…Of the last 5%, there will be active development, a server on a stable machine will be maintained.
You are, uh, rather an optimist sir…
However, most of us will not even know the IP; and they will fade away quickly, leaving the ones who have a team of developers who are actually trying to improve the game.
And again so. I suspect that the “lone survivor” will just be a machine, maintained only so far as absolutely necessary and never tinkered with because that owner will (rightly, wrongly, or otherwise) believe they have “perfected” the game, and even then mainly because THEY want to play… They really won’t care who comes, if anyone, but will leave the door open “just in case.” (Kinda like opening a restaurant because you like food, and “miraculously” having a day job that keeps the doors open, even without customers.)
We hope the devs will release the 2238 source, so we don't have to spend a lot of time just getting in the basics that made 2238 awesome; and can get right at work at making it even better, but that is up for them to decide.
A rather mature attitude. ;)

Mike Crosser

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2013, 08:03:53 pm »

UNLEASH THE TITANS!!!
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!
If you can code them, I'm "game."
(¿Get it? ¿Game? ¡OH I KILL ME!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.