"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • March 29, 2024, 01:03:20 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Fallout 2238 Source Release?  (Read 20096 times)

Re: Fallout 2238 Source Release?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 12:17:41 am »

Licence won't change anything, we're not in position to do anything if someone break it :p
That is true, however there will be some that stick to the license (However, most will not even bother to read or check the license). 

I guess we just have to hope that when you guys talk about the source again; that you sway towards releasing it. 
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 02:20:20 am »

And oh, before anyone misunderstand something - whatever the answers will be, it won't change anything, as it's just my curiosity :)
99% of us will take the code just to have a copy. I myself wouldn't know what to do with it with instructions. I might (probably not) be able to find someone willing and able to convert it to a single-player mode; Online play, no. Never.

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 08:10:45 am »

There are a lot of features of 2238 that many of us (including myself) would love to see and implement in our personal projects. I have no doubt that at least a few people would simply copy 2238 in all of its glory, and throw it up there, simply for the shits and giggles.

But let us consider for a moment, a few great artists of the past. If, for example, Nikolai Tesla were to burn all of his greatest achievements, would there have been an Edison to copy and steal these great works to give us these things that we use everyday, like the light bulb for instance?

I would like to equate many of the features of this game to that. Some of it is fantastic, and should be there for everyone to see and use, while some of it can easily be eschewed in favor of better systems. What is taken and used is not subject for debate unfortunately, because we can not see the future... However, wouldn't you guys like to see your baby transformed into something wonderful?

Yes, you may end up seeing a few "Frankenstein's Monsters" roaming around, but if there was even one fantastic creation that came from the source of your blood, sweat, and e-tears, wouldn't it all be worth it?

Edit: To answer your question Wipe, yes, anything I release would be out there to be dissected, bisected, and vivisected. This is the beauty of game development to me. The reason the industry is constantly moving forward, is because we constantly are using the building blocks of our predecessors. Would there have been a Call Of Duty without the influence of Doom? Maybe, but probably not.

I would submit to you, that you have an obligation as artists to show the true beauty of your works to the world, regardless of how it would be used. With great power, comes great responsibility, and I for one believe that you as a team of developers have attained great power...

It simply remains to be seen how you will pass that power onto future generations...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:18:20 am by BenKain »

wladimiiir

• Rotator
  • Independent FOnline developer
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 09:13:08 am »

Does it even make sense to use such a released code of 2238? I wonder, because as I know you probably made some changes even in hardcoded part of the engine, so that means, that whoever wants to use your code, would also need your hardcoded stuff. So that could make it hard to use in their own projects, as they could miss some functions 2238 team had hardcoded. Or am I mistaken here? :)
My personal opinion is, that it would great to have it released, just to have a knowledge base (like seeing Buffer in action ;) or to see how the things can be done in fancy way...), that could be used in other projects. But probably the best solution could be NOT to release it and under Development section on forum you could create Ready-to-use solutions where you would add stuff from your codes, you would like to share. This way the community would have something out of it. :D But on the other hand, that would probably mean more effort from your side in the opposite of when you would release it.
Hm, I see, hard decision you are facing. ;D

barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 11:27:38 am »

You can always make open repo same as tla, everyone will be able to download and use it. As you can see there are many people who want reload 2238 project with some good solutions, features.

wladimiiir

• Rotator
  • Independent FOnline developer
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 11:34:08 am »

...and the TLAmrk2 source is out there...
Did I miss anything or you mean plain (not MK2) TLA being released to public?

Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 09:40:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure if Scypior someday comes back he will easily release the code to the people. Btw. I wonder if he was ever notified of 2238 being closed down? :D
Favorite forum posters:
Mike Crosser, the underground

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 09:47:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure if Scypior someday comes back he will easily release the code to the people. Btw. I wonder if he was ever notified of 2238 being closed down? :D

Yeah, he was last only today , ofcourse he doesn't know about that, hm? Trying to steer a bit pointless retardation up again, are we?

Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 10:11:32 pm »

Yeah, he was last only today , ofcourse he doesn't know about that, hm? Trying to steer a bit pointless retardation up again, are we?
Yeah, yeah. Because we all don't know you have passwords to his account and login there whenever you want. We all are gonna pretend like it's really him and not only that, he is also resposible for the last updates! ;)
Favorite forum posters:

Cyber Jesus

• I piss excellence
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 11:07:06 pm »

Yeah, yeah. Because we all don't know you have passwords to his account and login there whenever you want. We all are gonna pretend like it's really him and not only that, he is also resposible for the last updates! ;)
You remind me of this guy

Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 01:13:14 am »

You remind me of this guy

That guy's crazy but the stuff he's after is pretty normal around 2238.
Favorite forum posters:

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 05:19:45 am »

It's funny, because scypior is the one who holds the server. It would be rather strange if he wouldn't know.
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 07:45:43 pm »

I'm sure he knows about it :P.  Hes been in irc actively talking the last few times I checked out the fonline dev channel.

Anyways, still hoping the source gets released :(
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 11:52:56 pm »

You sound promiseing and i hope u get codes, i would deffo.give u codes if i was dev, let me know if they release them to you ill play right away
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 08:43:29 am »

You sound promiseing and i hope u get codes, i would deffo.give u codes if i was dev, let me know if they release them to you ill play right away
Thanks, if they do release the source code, and allow me to post the server information on here when the site changes; I will do so as soon as its up and my team begins work. 

As time draws further, I keep praying to see a news announcement about the source code release, but so far nothing :(.  One of the devs told me if they do release, theres a 99.9% chance that it'll be announced after the 2238 servers go down.  So afterwards, keep checking back ;).

I also want to purpose that all the people who are thinking about working on the development (That has some experience in the game development world) of 2238 have a meeting and perhaps see if we could all work as a team so that we can all accomplish that much more.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 17 queries.