"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • March 28, 2024, 11:50:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Fallout 2238 Source Release?  (Read 20093 times)

Fallout 2238 Source Release?
« on: June 08, 2013, 06:23:19 am »

Hey Devs,
I know that you guys haven't determined whether or not your going to release the 2238 source, and I doubt this post will sway you much; but its worth a try. 

I can see why you are debating whether or not to do it; you've put a lot of hard work and time into Fallout 2238, and chances are that if you do release it, there is going to be quite a few mixed servers of it out there for a while.  However, on the other side of that, most of those servers will be ill maintained, and will more than likely be down within a few weeks.  Those that do stay up will more than likely have experienced developers and a good team working on them; and the world of Fallout 1 & 2 can continue to expand and grow.

I personally would like to start a server, and my own branch of 2238; I have a group of experienced developers, along with a solid player base (In my gaming community) to support it.  But on the other hand; being a developer myself, and running servers; I know that its hard to get past that point where you release years worth of hard work and dedication; when there is always a chance that in the future you might want to revive it.  None of the work that my team of developers have done is open source; and looking through through the scope of time; I can't say for sure if we'd release it or not if we shut our own servers down. I guess the main part of me that would want to; is the part that is curious of what other people might come up with.  That part you guys have done already; you've released older versions of it; and the TLAmrk2 source is out there.  I suppose if I had to I'd be willing to work off that; however I would be much happier; and we'd have a much better start if we started with 2238.  Simply because TLAmrk2 has pretty much been made for all the kids out there that despise dying over and over, and aren't up for the challenge of survival.  I personally find your work much more exciting, much more hardcore, and much more interesting. 

I would just really hate to see the last actively developed hard core Fallout game die.  I've got the time and resources to help it grow, and I'm sure there are a couple others out there that do as well.  So what do you say? 
Re: Fallout 2238 Source Release?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 10:13:13 am »

My vote goes to this suggestion! Presuming I even have a vote.

I will definately be searching for a Fonline server with TB option.
Please don't let the dream die this month! :)

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:24:13 am »

I second this suggestion. Even parts of it will be welcomed.

greenthumb

• Surprisingly, the location has moved.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 10:53:48 am »

+1 for nationalization 2238 source code ;)

Tomowolf

• Cute Kittens and stuff.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:22:21 am »

Giving out anything - maps, scripts, anything, would help.
h

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 11:24:11 pm »

I wonder... if 2238 sources would be released to public, projects which would use it as a base (just like TLA is now) would be open too or not? :)
Games are meant to be created, not played...
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »

I wonder... if 2238 sources would be released to public, projects which would use it as a base (just like TLA is now) would be open too or not? :)
Whole community was working on this project, from bug reports through feedback and testing to user programs or art, now the project is dead, by your fault by the way, now you are too greedy to public some of the code or maps after all those years?

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 11:41:11 pm »

I think you didn't read the post you quoted :/
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 11:46:15 pm »

I was thinking about that when I was writing the first post.  I think if you guys do release it, you should put in the license that it can only be used in nonprofit projects that are open source.  On my projects, I might not advertise that its open sourced, however I would probably have the source on Github with public access (Even though I have a private github repository). 
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 11:46:45 pm »

It would. But something buetiful and needed would survive.
Release the codes. 99% of us would take a copy just to make sure it didn't dissapear; At very least, don't burn your own books.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 11:55:46 pm »

I think you didn't read the post you quoted :/
I think you didn't found the way back to the kitchen, in the right moment - like at least one year ago  ;)

The server dies, community should have a source code without any terms or at least pass it to the specific team of players, who want and know how to bring the whole project to live...
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 11:57:11 pm »

I realy hope that someone will take the sources and give us a nice 2238 fonline..
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 11:59:25 pm »

I realy hope that someone will take the sources and give us a nice 2238 fonline..
We can hope. 

Tomowolf

• Cute Kittens and stuff.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 12:06:21 am »

Well, nowadays, we got several DEV teams that could do this.
h

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 12:12:00 am »

The server dies, community should have a source code without any terms or at least pass it to the specific team of players, who want and know how to bring the whole project to live...
You have no idea how much games i'd like to have open source, starting from Fallout and ending on projects so small that they didn't even had own homepage...
But as my post bring your attention to this small thread, could you - instead of making unfunny jokes - answer such a simple question? Or leave it to others, who might be more interested on subject than you.

you should put in the license that it can only be used in nonprofit projects that are open source
Licence won't change anything, we're not in position to do anything if someone break it :p

And oh, before anyone misunderstand something - whatever the answers will be, it won't change anything, as it's just my curiosity :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.