Author Topic: New 3D Critters?  (Read 7625 times)

New 3D Critters?
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:26:30 am »
Is it possible to add critters with their own animations to FOnline? Like armored vehicles controlled by the Enclave?

Offline Luther Blissett

Re: New 3D Critters?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:46:26 am »
It's definitely possible to add extra critters - though a vehicle may be a problem - it depends on what you want to do with it. I'm not sure if you'd be able to add a working vehicle that you could get in and out of, and also "drive round" on a local map. You could definitely do one or the other though.

So you could :
- add a vehicle like the current car, or other vehicles in 2238 (which appears on local map as static object, but is not "driven")
- add a critter which looked like a car, i.e. moved round local map, attacked, had loot - but it would technically be a "creature" or "person". It may be a problem to make a multi-hex critter.

You will need to edit bits in these folders/files (and probably more):
\Server\proto\critters
\Server\data\CritterTypes.cfg
\Server\dialogs (look at ones starting mob_xxx.fodlg)
\Server\scripts\_defines.fos
\Server\text\

I don't know enough to tell you the specifics on how to do more than that though. Hopefully someone else knows more on the subject and can tell you. If it's still working, www.fonline.ru used to have a lot of answers on how to do things like this.

Offline Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
Anyone have the idea how it was made in Tactics? As for now, a motorcycle critter is halfmade, which takes 1 hex. Unfortunately it cant follow the scenery in a straight line when moving to SW. Doesnt matter in the desert, though.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:20:43 pm »
Any way to make a multihex creature work? Or would I have to change something?

Offline Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:12 pm »
Some heavy scripting is involved, since you're gonna have to invent procedural moving blockers.
I wonder how it's gonna work...
Pseudocritters copying movement of master mob and holding a formation by keeping minimal distance? Is it possible to make them regroup depending on the faced direction and movement?

I'd ask on Tactics modding forums, if someone knows the mechanics of Tactics vehicles, e.g. the emulating a turning circle of a vehicle. I think speed was involved in the mechanics as well.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:54:29 pm by Alvarez »

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:18:16 pm »
Here's something that I found. This script is for multihex items, but someone can probably apply this for creatures as well. I don't know scripting very well, so I can't do it.
Link:http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,27503.0.html

Offline Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 03:10:21 pm »
I remember on TLA there was this GM who turned himself into a giant multi-hex kind of a plant creature. He wasn't moving I think but he took more than 1 hex.
Favorite forum posters:
Mike Crosser, the underground

Offline Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:47:01 pm »
I remember on TLA there was this GM who turned himself into a giant multi-hex kind of a plant creature. He wasn't moving I think but he took more than 1 hex.
Couldn't he have just placed invisible blockers before doing what he did?

Offline Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 01:11:19 am »
Couldn't he have just placed invisible blockers before doing what he did?
No, because he appeared there out of the anus like GMs usually do.
Favorite forum posters:

Offline Mike Crosser

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:07:55 am »
No, because he appeared there out of the anus like GMs usually do.
He still could have spawned invisible hex blockers.

Offline Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 07:28:55 pm »
He still could have spawned invisible hex blockers.
Thank you for your clever message Mike Crosser. Now go back to your playground along with Metro.
Favorite forum posters:

Offline Mike Crosser

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:45:09 pm »
Thank you for your clever message Mike Crosser. Now go back to your playground along with Metro.
Can't,he spawned invisible hex blockers around him.

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 12:25:14 am »
In last year cvet was going to implement the ability to control a cars like in Tactics in engine (also he want implement multi level feature). Now obviously he still does not have time for this, but these were the main features that he wanted to implement in the engine.
sorry for my english.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 11:18:42 am »
In last year cvet was going to implement the ability to control a cars like in Tactics in engine (also he want implement multi level feature). Now obviously he still does not have time for this, but these were the main features that he wanted to implement in the engine.

Nice, anyway what he does now?

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 03:12:33 pm »
Nice, anyway what he does now?
MacOS port i think.
sorry for my english.