"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • March 29, 2024, 02:49:44 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tactical Town Control  (Read 7879 times)

Tactical Town Control
« on: April 27, 2013, 02:51:30 am »

Since I was never part of any of the factions, I never did TC tho. My PvP abilities were rather weak and concentrated on shooting random players that were looking for trouble or some of the latest events. Oh, and some hinkley sessions to get into it.
Still I am familiar with TC, being one of those assholes that sneaked in there to grab some loot from time to time ;D
I can't know all about it, but still I dare make a suggestion concerning how TC could work. This suggestion adresses the broadly discussed issue of the "idler"-feature against fast relogs in TC and also might offer an interesting alternative to how battles develop:

Tactical Town Control

-Each town hasn't that one area in which ground must be held, when seizing the town – instead there are several spots which need to be captured. Each of these spots has some simple object, maybe a flagpole or similar, which needs to be activated to turn the spot over to one faction. There are 3-5 such spots in a town, I'd suggest.
-These spots also partially are respawn points at the same time, in which the fighting players directly respawn instead of the regular  outbound locations, while the battle is ongoing.
-Additionally there is a defense base, which has a sealed off room that contains the rewards container as well as another respawn point. This base is located a good distance away from the other spots in the battlefield.
The purposes of these instances will be explained, so bare with me.

The attacking party, lets call them Attackers :P , will have to prepare an attempt to gain control over the town in the following ways:
1. Determine which Characters will take part in the attack. Once the Attackers have started the battle, no more characters belonging to that faction, as well as any third party players, can enter the town!
2. Position at the spots that must be captured
3. Look for suitable way to place and distribute backup gear.

Then the Attackers initiate the TC and have a short time limit to capture the majority of the spots by activating the flagpoles or whatever object fits in the scenery.
As soon as the initial capturing is done the normal TC timer is switched on and the message of the Attackers attempt will be prompted globally as usual.

At that point the currently town controlling faction, let's call them Defenders  ::) , will have to react by sending in their troops and reclaim the held spots.
Since they don't have any info on the enemies numbers, they also have to choose carefully who they send in, because they will only be allowed to send in as much players as the Attackers have. Any further character will be denied entry as soon as Defenders numbers are equal! At that point the town map then has reached a status that is similar to closed off event maps.
Here is where the defense base described above comes in. Only Defenders have access to the respawn room with the reward chest in it. If the Defenders are well-prepared, they have filled that safe storage with their own backup-gear before the attack.

Fighting over the spots:
Attackers must activate spots and then hold that specific area. At least one soldier must be near or else they turn over to Defenders after short timer running out automatically! Defenders must gain control over the spots to diminish respawning possibilities of Attackers.
Respawning:
Attackers soldiers respawn at the nearest open respawn spot that is held by Attackers at time of death.
Defenders have the comfort to respawn in defense base for the complete duration of the battle.
Re-Equipping:
Instead of outfitters, there is the previously stored backup gear to re-equip, Attackers also could bring in a sneaker with high CW to keep backup gear.. In general the attackers will have to think of a good tactic to re-equip themselves on respawn, since they have no safe place to store it. It is also allowed for Attackers to leave the map to get gear from a nearby base but that might take valuable time in which respawn spots can be lost.. Defenders however cannot leave the battlefield during battle, they only have what is in defense base and what they brought when entering!
Regaining health after death:
Since this is no event, both factions will have to bring in chars with medic skills to patch up fallen soldiers!
Winning the battle:
Condition for win is to hold the majority of all open spots when the timer runs out.
Defenders can win the battle prior to timer running out by recapturing all respawn spots so the Attackers have no more ability to respawn.
Aftermath:
If Attackers win, the defense base gets accessible for them and closed for Defenders immediately and they can grab all the stuff from Defenders and reward chest or just keep it in there for when they will get attacked next time.
I guess the item capacity of the safe room somehow must be limited or else it will be overloaded with gear making the defending party more or less invincible to new attacks! Maybe its possible to disable item droppin on the ground in that room, so backup gear can only be put in some containers.
Remaining soldiers will most likely fiercely battle on, so respawning rules are set to winners respawn in defense base, losers get kicked to normal outbound respawn. Any member from loser faction as well as third party characters cannot enter the town for a certain amount of time after the battle.

And that' it!
Instead of sending in waves of alts we now have a fun and fast frag-fest, similar to events. The Limiting to characters on the map is 1. completely preventing fast relogs in TC and 2. gives smaller factions with players that don't have that much alts an actual chance to prevail once in a while too, since Attackers determine how many Defenders can participate.  :)

What do you think? Could this work? Is it technically implementable (@devs)?
Opinions and constructive criticism welcome.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:08:05 pm by BLDYMSS »
Re: Tactical Town Control
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:14:18 pm »

Hmm... is the forum dead now too?
Or does this suggestion suck so bad, that NO ONE replies to it???
C'monnn people. I think its an interesting new variant to do TC, some PvPer and Dev opinions please!

Cyber Jesus

• I piss excellence
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:18:05 pm »

Hmm... is the forum dead now too?
Or does this suggestion suck so bad, that NO ONE replies to it???
C'monnn people. I think its an interesting new variant to do TC, some PvPer and Dev opinions please!
I don't think anybody wants to read all of that text.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:27:55 pm »

I don't think anybody wants to read all of that text.

Lazy basterdz! ;D
There's no way to shorten it...
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:49:37 pm »

Lazy basterdz! ;D
There's no way to shorten it...
I'm a guy who only plays PvE and here's how PvP should be.

There's always a way.

Tomowolf

• Cute Kittens and stuff.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:56:49 pm »

Tc Is cool as it is now, the reward system should be changed, and things to do in towns, rest is good.
h
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 05:06:57 pm »

I'm a guy who only plays PvE and here's how PvP should be.

1. That's not what I wrote.
2. It is a suggestion about general process of TC battles in which no fast relog would be needed, NOT "how PvP should be"
3. If you know so much about PvP, why don't you analyse the suggestion and say something relevant, like whether it could work or whether it would be fun for you as PvPer?

There's always a way.

Right. I'll cut some of the introduction. It will still be long.

Tc Is cool as it is now, the reward system should be changed, and things to do in towns, rest is good.

You didn't even read what the suggestion adresses, did you?

--

If you don't like the ideas write what exactly about them you don't like. If you think it's not doable in terms of PvP gameplay, write what exactly doesn't fit. If you don't want to read my long text then don't write anything. But no snippy remarks with no arguments whatsoever please.

Tomowolf

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 05:14:19 pm »

You didn't even read what the suggestion adresses, did you?

--

If you don't like the ideas write what exactly about them you don't like. If you think it's not doable in terms of PvP gameplay, write what exactly doesn't fit. If you don't want to read my long text then don't write anything. But no snippy remarks with no arguments whatsoever please.
[/quote]
I've read that, that just plain theory, which will fail, obviously with this playerbase, and players will abuse the feature enough, to get something from it.
I've been in many TCs, and the current system is cool for newbies along with pr0s.
Just some timed windows are needed, and more TC towns, and more activities, thats all.
h
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »

I've read that, that just plain theory, which will fail, obviously with this playerbase, and players will abuse the feature enough, to get something from it.

I put a lot of thought into it, especially in terms of exploits. Could you please point out where there are abusable weaknesses in the system I suggested?
Rewards system is another topic.
Timed windows I don't know about. I gather they were part of an old TC system, what exactly was their function?

Tomowolf

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 05:27:51 pm »

I put a lot of thought into it, especially in terms of exploits. Could you please point out where there are abusable weaknesses in the system I suggested?
Rewards system is another topic.
Timed windows I don't know about. I gather they were part of an old TC system, what exactly was their function?
First thing : Players only want reward, they won't fight themselves for nothing.
Problems - Respawn points - that's just not cool way how battles would work, and maps would need to be revisited, + many scripts involved into this thing (So if it even go trough the voice of DEV team, it wouldn't be added in 1 or 2 years).
h

xsarq

• You Can't Kill What's Already Dead
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 05:36:20 pm »

Just increase loot by something unique, something that can`t be gained in any other way.
Scamers: Grimmi
Beware of trading with this person.

JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 05:37:32 pm »

What I strongly dislike about the idea is hard-locking public towns because of some ape business.
It goes against the idea of town being public and the game being a kind of free-roam wasteland.
If you wanted something like that, separate arenas would be more suitable in my opinion, although
I'm not a fan of locked battle for "town control" anyway. I like that anyone can come and mess around
on their own terms, as much as others allow them. This is not just a private matter between 2 gangs,
we are talking about big public locations that anyone can come to.

Second, if you asked about possible exploits - one is very simple. A faction owning town could lock it
whenever it fits them, simply by making a second faction just for that purpose and starting the TC timer.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:39:48 pm by JovankaB »

Tomowolf

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 05:43:05 pm »

Just increase loot by something unique, something that can`t be gained in any other way.
Increase? Dude, are you serious?
If you stay with 5ppl ~~ aprox 2 hours in city, you got tons of shit to carry.
Last days I was just checking boxes, in those were like amounts like 5 - 10k flamer fuel, and more than one thousand uranium ore, in rest, ammo, drugs, caps.
h

xsarq

• You Can't Kill What's Already Dead
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 05:46:16 pm »

Then apparantly nobody wants that.
Scamers: Grimmi
Beware of trading with this person.

Tomowolf

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 05:49:06 pm »

Then apparantly nobody wants that.
Guess who is doing those TC-s obviously not NCR noobs with tent and cow.
There shouldn't be any more worth reward than caps&drugs&ammo for staying in town, it's already too much.
One dude camping with some mid tier stuff 30 minutes afk in TC zone will have about 60 kg of loot to haul over base + 1k caps, for nothing, just standing.
h
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 18 queries.