Author Topic: FALLOUT PVE SERVER NOW OPEN  (Read 10067 times)

FALLOUT PVE SERVER NOW OPEN
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:42:26 pm »
Announcing the open beta release of our fallout 2238 public PVE server!  this version appears to be quite stable
so we are looking to test server load, playability and general interest in this type of server.

given that it is a PVE server there are a few brief rules:

NO GUNS IN TOWN.  Guards in towns will enforce this law, so make sure you disarm before entering a town.
NO THEFT.  if you are reported stealing items or vehicles you will be banned.  no exceptions.
NO UNSANCTIONED MURDERS.  again, if you are reported killing another player you will be banned.  no exceptions.

In the future we will be holding sanctioned PVP events, but at the moment this server is strictly PVE.

If this version proves to be stable we will not be making any additional changes, so if you're concerned about preserving character data there is a really good chance you wont be losing out!

Here is a list of some of the changes we made to the game environment.

-merchant restocks happen at faster intervals.
-increased crafting recipes including ncr combat armor, brotherhood combat armor, and powered armors.
-removed the need for blueprints in crafting.
-adjusted crafting exp levels for quick initial builds.
-level cap adjusted to 60.
-economy and items revalued

SERVER INFORMATION:

To play on the server you need the current client version of fonline 2238, which can be downloaded at this link:

http://fonline2238.blogspot.ca/

You will also need the "critters.dat" and "master.dat" files from an original copy of fallout 2.

Then, you will need to specify the server and port you want to connect to in your config settings.

DNS server: pvefalloutserver.ddns.net
Port forwarding: 2100

To make player names visible on your client, you will also need to open the file "FO2238config.exe" in your client folder and check the appropriate box.

In the event that you are killed or stolen from and you can identify the player's name, it is important that you report it ASAP:

Banlist email:  fallout2238pvebanlist@gmail.com

We are not monitoring server logs so we are relying on the honesty of you, the player.  If you feel you have been wrongfully banned, feel free to contact us as well and we will resolve the situation.

If you have any errors, connection problems, questions or suggestions then you can contact us through that email as well.

This is a hobby of mine and i do this in my spare time.  If you expect the world of this server you may be disappointed, so play with an open mind and if you have criticisms, keep them constructive.  Thank you, hope to see some of you out in the wasteland!

-roneranger

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
Re: FALLOUT PVE SERVER NOW OPEN
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:44:08 pm »
NO THEFT
NO UNSANCTIONED MURDERS
Why not simply set MODE_NO_STEAL/MODE_NO_PVP/MODE_NO_LOOT durmng registration? If that's supposed to be part of mechanic then damn, make it part of mechanics. Bans will just scare people away~
Games are meant to be created, not played...

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:58:52 pm »
had trouble implementing it.  couldnt find any documentation on that change.  where would that entry be placed?

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:53:10 am »
main.fos, void critter_init();
You have a "INITIALIZE PARAMS" comment with if cr.IsPlayer() block right next to it. Adding cr.ModeBase[MODE_NO_PVP] = 1; [and other which are interesting for you] somewhere inside the block should do the trick. Be warned that other scripts may change player's MODE params in other places, so it will need additional tuning.
As for documentation, ugh... well... it's rare in 2238 code, that's true :-X But try and check docs from SDK, basics as params descriptions should be covered there. There are some differences here and there, but they're pretty minor and it shouldn't be hard to spot them.

OK, enough of technibabble~ Hope to see the project alive and evolving, and well - good luck :D There's enough PVP-focused servers around IMHO, maybe this one will be a good place to relax a bit.

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:42:16 am »
Do you plan some new PvE content? Like some dungeons or quests?
PvE in 2238 is rather reptitive after a while.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:47:54 am by JovankaB »

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 09:30:27 pm »
Good idea for PvE server but you should apply no pvp/steal for all locations because you can't always ban everyone and there is many trolls and so on.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:51:22 pm »
Again dead server which never started.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:22:32 am »
Hey guys i was one of the people working on this project the main dude and I had some disagreements so we went our seperate ways in term of this project.  but myself and another fellow are working on getting this kind of project happening we are very close to getting it all ready just thought i would provide an update to this! Also thanks for the info on how to implement no_pvp_mode and no loot and no steal!
This physical plane does not decide for us what is right and wrong. We do as physical entities of this world.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 06:21:50 pm »
Do you have a date for the public?

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 12:38:23 pm »
Well at the moment i am trying to implement repeatable quests that involve killing raider gangs or the reverse raiders killing different factions like ncr or hub patrols. I am a little stumped on how to make the quest repeat currently I am using the rail gang quest given by gunter in ncr but in his dialogue the only thing i can see to show that the quest will not repeat is a variable relating to the rail gang which is set to 10 upon completion of the quest if anyone knows how to make it so the quest just repeats it would make this process go really fast! Oh and sorry if this is a question that is already somewhere in the forum.
This physical plane does not decide for us what is right and wrong. We do as physical entities of this world.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »
Also in terms of the no pvp element is there a way to remove damage to players from other players since there are ways to hurt someone in the game indirectly like for instance using area of effect weapons like rocket launchers and grenades etc. Unless the no pvp code you guys showed earlier takes care of the area of effect damaging weapons?

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 10:13:12 pm »
It should work in most cases, but it all depends how your combat-related scripts looks like.
Basically all attacks should go thru combat@ApplyDamage [which is a final stage of attack and contains MODE_NO_PVP check] - that way or another. Take a look at InjureCritter() which is oh so much easier to read than CombatAttack() and that's what you probably want to use for custom attacks.

For testing if attack scenario is taken into account, you can use any no_logout map if you don't have any slave around. "No PvP" text is sent to both, attacker and victim, if attack is blocked, so you'll see result right away.