"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 16, 2024, 01:05:56 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Meteor impact in Chelyabinsk Russia, 950 injured by debris  (Read 2642 times)

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
Re: Meteor impact in Chelyabinsk Russia, 950 injured by debris
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 12:41:34 am »

Quite awesome to see such a spectacle, though I hope no one got seriously injured and the damage done to the enviroment isn't too high.
Sorry but, damage to the environment? You mean from the asteroid itself? Meteors burn up in the atmosphere every day, this one was just bigger than usual, its effect on the environment isn't much of a concern.

I too hope people weren't seriously injured, but I'm also glad this event, along with the coincidental 2012 DA14 asteroid, might serve as a wake-up call to the fact that there should be measures to deflect/change the trajectory of large asteroids that could destroy cities/cause tsunamis, or worse. If discovered early enough, it could be relatively simple to push a large asteroid off its collision course. Technology needs to be improved to have better reliability on detecting NEOs.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 02:13:38 am »

I'd pay a fortune for a chunk of that stone !

If discovered early enough, it could be relatively simple to push a large asteroid off its collision course.

You watched too much Armageddon.
http://i48.tinypic.com/n3kv0y.jpg
IT. IS. A. GAME.
*geez* ::)
Its supposed to be fun, which includes a friendly and helpful community of players.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 03:24:49 am »

Repulsion force to change asteroid's trajectory by a few centimeters ≠ asteroid being nuked. It's totally plausible if detected early enough.
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Mr Feltzer

• FOnline: Australia
    • The Core Gaming Australia's Website
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 04:47:11 am »

use a big ass laser to slice it into multiple pieces, small enough to completely evaporate in atmosphere.
Founder of Fallout Online Australia
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 12:46:51 pm »

Repulsion force to change asteroid's trajectory by a few centimeters ≠ asteroid being nuked. It's totally plausible if detected early enough.
Yea, IKR, but thats not the point.  The point is theres by FAR neither the proper technology for that, nor can be the trajectory paths be 100% calculated, nor is there enough data on the properties of big fucking rawwkits or any vehicle outside of our gravity sphere. Asides from some space probes, maybe they can go out on a suicide mission to crash into some asteroid ? :>
For those few centimeters to have an effect, that asteroid needs to be intercepted early on. For such operations, there are no means yet.

Meanwhile, enjoy the fireworks. It's good to remind the human species once in a while that they are, in fact, worms.
http://i48.tinypic.com/n3kv0y.jpg
IT. IS. A. GAME.
*geez* ::)
Its supposed to be fun, which includes a friendly and helpful community of players.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 07:46:51 pm »

I believe there are plans to launch a satellite with improved technology for scanning for Near-Earth Objects, though I don't remember where I heard this, I think it was on the news some time. But yes, it does sound more sci-fi than anything else, but I still think the point is that it is possible to develop the technology/means.

Creep

• Wu-Tang is for the children
    • Drawing Gallery on DA
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 04:37:51 am »

"...which culminated in over 950 Russian severely injured or dead. In related news, NCR Bazaar just got 950 times safer! Back to you, Tom."
Who rules the beach? Surfers! Who rules the surfers? Surf Nazis! http://creepye.deviantart.com/
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 18 queries.