"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 09, 2024, 09:30:33 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Distress call is almost purely abuse tool  (Read 24626 times)

Re: Distress call is almost purely abuse tool
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:12:19 pm »

OK but was this idea made as a loophole for encounter scaling and to abuse faming/xping/tb pvp with alts?

Oh no, guys use a taxi with distress to join a turn-based battle again, what exploit. Some guys make encounters easy or hard depending on the reward.

Gaining experience with the help of distress can be neglected if the application just ignored mercenaries, slaves for scaling, anyway that's just fast leveling and since leveling in this game is just pure brain-damaging grind, I don't mind some loophole for that.

Your trying to improve things that are already working good or at least decent, but you completely ignore things that aren't even finished, like crafting, trading, just go do something useful.

If you farm with a friend and some of you die it doesn't work that great because the person has to get a radio.

... and radios are like hard to come by, the guy needs to get something. Holy shit.

JovankaB

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:14:15 pm »

... and radios are like hard to come by, the guy needs to get something. Holy shit.

I get you probably have a base full of items on each respawn but not everyone is in such comfortable situation.

j4cky

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 07:18:48 pm »

jov radios is used for farming and lvling and for TB fights. tb fights are almost dead and u want to finish them. good job!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 07:25:42 pm »

I get you probably have a base full of items on each respawn but not everyone is in such comfortable situation.

No I don't have base near each re-spawn, but it's not very hard to go to an actual base/tent and grab a radio, if not then just find your friend the old fashion way, just go back to the square. There is no need for some open encounters on world map or something, you can find anyone in a square, but if you have a radio it just makes things more comfortable.

Radios are by the way useful as real distress, I remember leveling at start of Wipe with my teammates and we had radios in hand and as soon as one of us got into trouble, it was one distress for immediate ass-kicking.

No idea why the hate on the radios.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:32 pm »

I can see this nerf with the next update, because noone from the devs won't give a shit about players' opinion on this topic.
*spits on ground*
Way to go, dev, way to go...

DeputyDope

• ǝdopʎʇndǝp
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 07:29:26 pm »

the only person agreeing with this suggestion is Jovanka and so far she didn't offer ONE SINGLE GOOD ARGUMENT as to why distressing should be removed. the only argument is that this "abuses" encounter scaling, and this argument was countered by T-888's "less reward" argument. there's no point in discussing this further.

also what's the point in removing a feature that has been around for years and nobody complained about?

have fun destroying TB PvP/PvE.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:35:06 pm by DeputyDope »

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 07:32:27 pm »

Scrapping radio distress would harm the possibility of teamwork in 2238, which is already low. We can level up on our own, we can hunt on our own, craft on our own... "Factions" and "gangs" exist only on the battlefield: the only real teamplay in 2238 is the fight during TC, making it even more that way would, again, harm the game seriously.

OK but was this idea made as a loophole for encounter scaling and to abuse...

...farming...

As T-888 said, at the cost of a smaller reward, or maybe more exactly a lower loot rate. I don't see anything wrong with using distress for this: weaker characters can hunt in a group and kill smaller NPC groups, while more powerful characters are able to solo huge "vs encounters". Removing distress would just make it harder for the less experienced players and/or players with the weakest builds: players would pretty much be forced (or at least encouraged) to only hunt with minimaxed super-laser-fastshooters or unstoppable BG tanks. I am aware such builds are aready used, but right now radio distress allows you to join your Mad Max Wannabe pals with your own Mad Max Wannabe build and defeat a Unity or NCR Army patrol.

Again: teamwork would be harmed because we'd have less lowlevel characters hunting together, and more level 24 ultra energy warriors and human tanks choked up on their ten drugs killing all NPCs in the enc and then looting them with their packrat alt which can't join through distress anymore but can lead the other alt into the encounter via duallogging :P

...xping...

There is really no fun way to level up quickly, in a game where you're encouraged to level up your character(s) before playing "serious". So the problem is not exactly in the radio distress feature.

...tb pvp...

TB PvP is like a whole separated minigame played by some dedicated guys. I would like to know what those experienced ones think about distressing for TB PvP. I do remember a player made a TB PvP "event" of sorts which was started by distressing in a specific radio channel (not 0) so anyone interested could join.

If you farm with a friend and some of you die it doesn't work that great because the person has to get a radio.

But deleting the whole distress system would make it even more difficult to rejoin.

I think it would be better if you could see encounter that still exists after death and make it disappear if you
visit public location/base/tent/car.

Just wanted to say I agree with this idea.

Deleting radio distress would only make it harder for the players that have less while annoying experienced players and metagamers.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:34:14 pm by Eternauta »

JovankaB

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 07:43:53 pm »

TB PvP is like a whole separated minigame played by some dedicated guys.

No it's not. It can happen to anyone who is inside TB encounter.
I get some people don't count "accidentally shooting noobs" as real PvP, but it is PvP.
And if some abuser brings more alts to such encounter to win, it's simply unfair.
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 07:47:20 pm »

If you remove radio you remove our ability to enter an encounter one at a time and force us to enter grouped up thus destroying TB pvp. If we had to enter as a group we would all just die to burst/plasma nades before we even get to act. Also we cant call our friends in and get stuck in traps without the ability to call for backup.
"I am condemned without end." -Crovax

JovankaB

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »

If you remove radio you remove our ability to enter an encounter one at a time and force us to enter grouped up thus destroying TB pvp. If we had to enter as a group we would all just die to burst/plasma nades before we even get to act. Also we cant call our friends in and get stuck in traps without the ability to call for backup.

Then perhaps entrances for existing encounters (if you find them not get enforced into it) should be around the map, near the edges not in the center. Thanks for ideas, and pointing out possible problems, keep them coming!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 07:55:12 pm »

And if some abuser brings more alts to such encounter to win, it's simply unfair.

That's a completely different problem with those more alts, but players always had the ability to re-gear and re-enter a turn-based location to continue fighting and so far it has been working just fine and nobody has complained about it.

Disabling this option will seriously tamper with TB, I can't imagine proper TB without distress. I'm not some experienced player of that mode, but you don't have to be to realize it's important to not fuck it up.
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 07:58:13 pm »

Then we are still forced to use taxi alts which will end up being someone dual logging because they wanna be able to fight too. Even without removing radio the placement system could still be improved on. Maybe groups could enter a little spread out.
"I am condemned without end." -Crovax

DeputyDope

• ǝdopʎʇndǝp
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »

I can't imagine proper TB without distress.

i can. and it's shit.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 08:12:51 pm »

Jovanka should focus on making the game worth playing in the first place before trying to make it even more of a shitty pointless grind. Radios are barely used anyways, its not even an issue. Are you really that bored that you have to nerf what little content this game has?

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 08:15:18 pm »

No it's not. It can happen to anyone who is inside TB encounter.
I get some people don't count "accidentally shooting noobs" as real PvP, but it is PvP.

I could wear the same clothes everyday and all the time. But it'd be healthier and give me better social results to change and wash them, and use different clothes for different situations. I could follow a highway and travel to a nearby city on foot, but it'd be a lot easier and faster to drive a car or take a bus. The same happens with 2238: one could play with one single character and level it up "normally", that means as one experiences the different things this game has to offer such as TB PvP, trolling in protected towns, Town Control, etc. But most players, once they get some experience in the game (I mean, once *they* do, as players, not their characters), they start using alts and different, more metagaming strategies, because they give better results.

I got a SG burster/fastshooter 3 Charisma character which is fun to play with until I want to team with others to go on a hunt: then it becomes rather useless when compared with better PvE hunting builds.

If I want to try TB PVP, I wouldn't do it with a "bad" build because I have played enough FOnline to know I would be obliterated quickly by people with better builds for TB PvP.

You could try to do TC with non-specialized characters, but don't try to have a chance against TC PVP builds.

All those situations are perfectly possible, but the game still encourages you to make specialized alts and powerlevel them before their "use". It's the way the game works: 2238 is fragmentary because of that. Please note that I am not complaining, or saying "zomg this gaem suks", because I play and enjoy this game. I am just explaining why I said TB PvP was a minigame.

But anyway, I commented on different things you had said about "abusing distress", and that is all you have to reply?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 27 queries.