"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 08, 2024, 01:37:18 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: THQ giving Metro 2033 for free  (Read 5403 times)

Re: THQ giving Metro 2033 for free
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »

I haven't "cried" about open world games, only that I get tired of them. I haven't played Fallout because it is an "open world" either, but because I was/am fascinated by the world, the atmosphere and the music. I wouldn't give a damn if the game would be more linear.

I see.

The difference is that the vaultdweller had a huge portion of postwar california to explore, and had to investigate in the nearby settlements to find out where to get the waterchip. If you as a player didn't know about the location of the chip, it is only natural that you will explore the cities and NPC for hints. Artyom on the other hand is in a comparably tiny, cramped location with a clear goal. There would be no single reason to randomly explore other metro stations.

Right, because the game followed the plot of the book, freely. You had a ride in a scripted rollercoaster and no choice to explore or at least, take a fork. Which is a shame IMO, really.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 10:06:19 pm »

This is the metro map:

It is huge, with lots of corridors and stations. It would be so easy to define the start station and the target station and leave everything in between as choice to the player. You still get your loved linear corridors, but also lots of crossroads, where you can change your travel direction to the left, right, forward or backwards. I'd prefer this anytime over how the game turned out now- heavily scripted and without any choice at all.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 10:10:34 pm »

And why must every game nowadays be "open" like you describe it? Would Super Mario be a better game if had an open world and was less linear? No, it's still pretty darn fun. Look, I have nothing against open world games, I just don't see what's so inherently bad with a game that is meant to be linear. I too would like a game where I could go through those stations at my own whim because I like the world the author created. But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a linear game aswell.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 10:13:32 pm »

I didn't said every game has to be open. I said that Metro 2033 wasted lots of potential, because it is horrible scripted and tries to take the book 1:1 and that shit could have been done better- like with my suggestion above.

Also- nope, I didn't found the game to be fun at all, or I would have finished it at least once.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 10:25:47 pm »

I have to say I agree with Surf, but I also have to mention it would be cool if the game actually had some freedom along the lines of, lets say, Artyom has to get some supplies before he ventures further in the metro tunnels. These sections possibly could have been done in a limited area but still be rather free - given a map of the surroundings, points of interest and a side objective. It wouldn't really break the game's linearism thingy going on but potentially could have improved the game's experience alot.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 11:31:23 pm »

I basically love the option to scavenge around in such themeded games. That started with fallout 1, then f2 then STALKER, then f3, F:NV etc etc. I just love to explore abandoned post-apo buildings and ruins and collect stuff and shoot evil creatures or raiding humans. So yes, it would be a good idea to have a bit more freedom in metro2033, but the game is well done the way it is IMO.
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:56 am »

By the way, how does subway venture in Falloutverse? Would anyone build a Vault in a subway station?

Redivivus

• Fear
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 12:26:16 am »

By the way, how does subway venture in Falloutverse? Would anyone build a Vault in a subway station?
Vault in subway? Why not. Actually nearly all subway stations in Moscow/Saint-Petersburg are made as nuclear Vaults.
Innocence proves nothing
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2012, 12:56:09 am »

I don't get why everything these days has to be some boring open world game.

Boring open world? That combination of words doesn't make any sense to me.  You would prefer linear as it is more '''exciting''?  You poor confused person you.
If everything was linear it would be a movie, and not a game.
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 01:14:27 am »

More options are always good, having another choice to make, pathway to direct yourself etc. etc. just simply can't be bad. I will not argue that the game is bad the way it is, but everything can be improved upon, there is always something, no matter how well the game is praised or is for someone.
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 03:14:26 am »

Vault in subway? Why not. Actually nearly all subway stations in Moscow/Saint-Petersburg are made as nuclear Vaults.

And this is why they are awesome. I liked the construction of Gostiny Dwor blast doors, btw, they are shaped like a wedge to withstand the surface explosion.;D

However, the stations are a bit underequipped to last more than a week, especially when everything gets flooded IRL... I think a Fallout version of Russian Vault will cope with this problem.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 05:12:53 am »

*Opens Google Images: "moscow metro" - Overwhelmed by beauty"

Also this.

Btw, probably the only reason I'd install and play Fallout 3 again is because it allows you to freely explore a big ruined city infested with mutated creatures and raiders. I especially loved the metro tunnels in FO3. It was practically the only thing I liked in a game which sucked in general, but I really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:24:11 am by Eternauta »
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 10:45:41 pm »

Soviets had the best architects, it's a shame so many buildings were lost to ww2.

Redivivus

• Fear
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 11:31:20 pm »

*Opens Google Images: "moscow metro" - Overwhelmed by beauty"

Also this.

As i know both middle-age Soviet subways: Moscow and Saint-Petersburg ones were built in 'Palace' style. Kinda beautiful piece of underground art. ;)
Innocence proves nothing
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 23 queries.