"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 01, 2024, 12:30:45 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: OMFG howcome i never noticed this?  (Read 1982 times)

OMFG howcome i never noticed this?
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:37:35 am »

I feel retarded for never noticing this before, all this time I thought fallout was an isometric game, but it isnt o.o
I was trying to make an isometric game, so I got some fallout pics to use for reference
one of the points of making a game isometric is you can take things and flip them horizontally and it will fit, ie character running animations, walls etc.
But in fallout only one of the walls is truly isometric view ( flip 45 degrees, then squish vertically 25%)  this saves you from having to make extra graphics because you can simply flip the wall,
but for some reason they didnt do it this way which is really odd because the characters are isometric ( meaning you can flip them horizontally to make them facing the other way )

Why did they do it this way?  is my question. they created twice as much work for themselves.

Dont know if what i said made sense to people, just  thought it was odd they made it that way

Gimper

• You gotta be kidding me... shoo shoo mighty hacker
Re: OMFG howcome i never noticed this?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:58:39 am »

I feel retarded for never noticing this before, all this time I thought fallout was an isometric game, but it isnt o.o
I was trying to make an isometric game, so I got some fallout pics to use for reference
one of the points of making a game isometric is you can take things and flip them horizontally and it will fit, ie character running animations, walls etc.
But in fallout only one of the walls is truly isometric view ( flip 45 degrees, then squish vertically 25%)  this saves you from having to make extra graphics because you can simply flip the wall,
but for some reason they didnt do it this way which is really odd because the characters are isometric ( meaning you can flip them horizontally to make them facing the other way )

Why did they do it this way?  is my question. they created twice as much work for themselves.

Dont know if what i said made sense to people, just  thought it was odd they made it that way
Oddly enough, I do understand what your saying. They made the characters like "Paper Mario the thousand year door" for Gamecube. But the others objects, scenery, etc. Are in fact only "1 way" so to speak. Am I correct?

Mr Feltzer

• FOnline: Australia
    • The Core Gaming Australia's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 10:00:16 am »

Never noticed that, pretty weird.
Founder of Fallout Online Australia

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:51:44 am »

tile size, original graphics probably are iso but they "fit" them to tile size with padding, ez to do with BLT fill routines.  Then processed grapghis dont require post processing, the've already been processed to fit tiles.  This means expanded tileset but no processing during placement into page buffer.
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:52:41 pm »

Fallout uses a cavalier/oblique projection, not a truly isometric one.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:27:55 pm »

Ok 2nd question how do you get that cavalier/oblique view?
isometric angle is 45 degree then squish 25% ( it looks like one of the wall angles is already at that angle)
Do you you know the formula for getting the other angle?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.