"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 16, 2024, 04:42:32 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Should dogs improve your survival chances in Wasteland?

Yes, a dog should have more than fangs.
- 4 (57.1%)
A mutt? I rather get my minigun!
- 0 (0%)
Why only dogs? A merc is fine, too!
- 0 (0%)
Wardogs need more HP, not a nose!
- 0 (0%)
Good puppy, you brought daddy a stimpak and a gun!
- 1 (14.3%)
Dog/merc trainer is a good job, mate!
- 2 (28.6%)
Exploding dogs for great unjustice!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Making dog companions more useful  (Read 4467 times)

Re: Making dog companions more useful
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 02:31:42 pm »

Guys you have 0 imagination  :o !

Even tho I would like having companion which would not suffer from perma-death its still possible to implement "ressurection" idea otherwise. You buy/tame a dog at X lvl. When you die, dog will find you. When dog dies you will remember its level and second time when you buy/tame dog, you will be able to get dog at greater lvl because during the time dog was with you and lvled up, you learned how to treat him => you know how to handle more dangerous dogs.

So in practice it would be something like this:
I hit lvl 12 and I have some spare cash so lets buy a dog. Dog is at lvl 3 when I buy him. I will lvl up with my new companion. I'm lvl 16 now, dog is lvl 9. Dog dies. I go to dog salesman that I want new dog. He offers me larger scale of dogs with various levels and price but non beyond 9th lvl. I buy one and I repeat circle.

This way there could be scouts with really dangerous companions. Buy there is a problem, companions die fast. I think there should be some kind of a survivability boost for dogs if they should be able to level up with player.

Although I believe everything's fine with my imagination, I agree with your idea. That would do the trick.
Shit-shovelling services around the clock, 24/7

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 03:37:28 pm »

and with the 3d models we may be able to have our own specific breed of dog, me, i'll take a german shepherd please.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

Handyman

• Zostałem Południowcem !
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »

This idea is sooooooo coool ! Handyman Approves !
Why would you argue with someone, while you can kill him.

Kharaam

• Spartan Pigrat
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 04:31:06 pm »

i'd like Chiuaua! a very rabid one!

Blubber we miss You!!!

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 04:54:54 pm »

German shepherd that could be one hell of a badass dog... or some lonely wolf from wasteland?

Anyway I'd suggest to add pool to this topic just to see what people think of this + drag some devs here to know their opinion  :P.
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 05:03:23 pm »

Boerbul
Especially as guards at base.

War Dogs

The knockdown ability is especially fun.
Like grenades with feet.

I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 05:42:18 pm »

Hey, leveling up WITH the player is a baaaaaaad idea. So, when I hit lvl21 and get bored I cannot experiment with dog companions 'cos they will be weaklings? No, no, no, HELL NO.
There must be sth else to determine dog's 'improvement'. Like the number of creatures killed and/or number of encounters he noticed first. Anything BUT leveling up with the player. You want people to start making alts just to grind their dogs?!

When it comes to buying new dogs - I thought of sth like Sius said - you will get better 'new dogs' if you'll breed the 'old dogs' (like old dog lvl-1)

And lastly, dogs' lvl need not be just as PC lvl. I.e. dog can start with 40HP and 70outdoorsman and every 'level' (max 5 levels) he gets +20HP and +10outdoor (up to 120HP and 120 outdoorsman). Just as followers in Fallout 2 did.

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 05:45:48 pm »

You want people to start making alts just to grind their dogs?!
Why? You're 21st level. You still get XP! You simply don't getting 22nd level... so you still be able to train your dog.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 01:24:35 pm »

Hm, raising dogs outdoors skill is a good idea. Makes them useful a bit in a unique way.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 01:29:35 pm »

Levelling up NPC followers is a great idea, especially if you can get them back after they die and it becomes a long-term project.

You recruit some bright eyed young farm boy from Modoc, take him under your wing and teach him to be a grizzled badass. That sounds a lot of fun to me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 01:34:04 pm by Badger »

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 05:22:23 pm »

Thanks for your support guys! ;D
After some searching, i found out how the thread polls are added, so please vote!

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 03:44:35 pm »

You know guys, leveling, staying after death, knockdown and all... a large addition, right?

For a start I would suggest making dogs NOT WORHTLESS. For example making them at least a bit stronger than brahmins, which are free and easy to get. Dogs have less hp, less damage, less damage resistance and outdoorsman at a similar level... And no, I didn't use the always-outdated wiki. I checked it ingame. If I weren't that much about atmosphere and dogmeat nostalgy, I would use brahmins instead of dogs and have a bigger combat advantage than tagging along with those worthless mutts...

Dogs costs 500-1000 per one. Brahmins cost 2xfibre. I know that the former shouldn't be a master-killer, but giving them 40 or 50hp (instead of 34) and about 2-8 damage (instead of 1-6) would place dogs nicely between free brahmins and 1000-2000caps HtH mercs. This is just reasonable.

EDIT: just btw, but raising dog outdoorsman has drawbacks also. My friend has 100 outdoorsman (which is enough to cover most of the encounters and travel quite safely) and he don't like when I take my dogs when we hunt together, because it don't change encounter check too much and he doesn't get xp for them...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:51:33 pm by DrapiChrust »

Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 07:20:02 pm »

I don't know if anyone said this. The other day I was looking for geckos, and I could not find them, so the idea came to me: what if you could ask your dog to find certain types of creatures? you can say "dog, find geckos" "find men" "find deathclaws" and somehow the map shows a location, an arrow or something, not exact of course.

They should have like 12 perception, more than men, and a lot of action points. I like the cautious nature perk someone suggested.

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 02:17:18 pm »

Dogs are just worhless now. There is no other word for it. They cannot survive any encounter with anything bigger than small scorpions... and I don't mean 'kill enemies' or even 'don't get killed'. I've mean even don't get killed while running away from enemies while manually ordered... (6AP, dammit)

I was going to arrange a little brahmin - dog one-on-one to prove how worhtless dogs currently are, but my last mutt wasn't able to cope with raider's mauser before I managed to shred damn raider into pieces... dammit.
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 09:02:58 pm »

Dogs need little suicide bomber vests.

filled with c4

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.