"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 21, 2024, 03:50:32 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Should dogs improve your survival chances in Wasteland?

Yes, a dog should have more than fangs.
- 4 (57.1%)
A mutt? I rather get my minigun!
- 0 (0%)
Why only dogs? A merc is fine, too!
- 0 (0%)
Wardogs need more HP, not a nose!
- 0 (0%)
Good puppy, you brought daddy a stimpak and a gun!
- 1 (14.3%)
Dog/merc trainer is a good job, mate!
- 2 (28.6%)
Exploding dogs for great unjustice!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Making dog companions more useful  (Read 4475 times)

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
Making dog companions more useful
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:10:30 pm »

As you know dogs were able to survive the nuclear apocalypse.

But they have almost no HP, so how did they managed it without starving or eaten by some mutant abomination?

With their muzzle!
The mutt is always informed about the sweet smell of semi-edible cadaver or a familiar stench of a Floater nearby ways before the human perception kicks in. The ultimate answer against unwanted encounters, nasty surprises and internet hate machines is called A DOG NOSE!

Instead giving a penalty for PE in encounters, the nose of your HP-weak companion gives you a bonus to Outdoor.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
Re: Making dog companions more useful
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:24:23 pm »

Good idea. I love when ingame NPCs are designed with real life characteristics. This could be used in more cases not only with dogs but +1 anyway.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:35:52 pm by Sius »

Frozen Mind

• Los Alamos Warrior
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:39:46 pm »

Good one.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:51:34 pm »

I would propose a "cautious nature" approach which is
+1(or 2) to PE when determining placement in encounters

and also a bonus when you tracing/tracking some one (or some special hunt)

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:15 pm »

Dogs already have outdoors which can help you.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:58:35 pm »

actually i like the idea :>

Kharaam

• Spartan Pigrat
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 11:03:34 pm »

cool i support this idea, dogs should make encounters easier to avoid

Blubber we miss You!!!

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:27:36 pm »

Maybe add something like "resurrectable" companion. Dogs could appear in 3 types with 1/5/10 levels (depending on price). When you level up, your dog gains some of your exp and levels up with you.

When you die and respawn, your dog will find and rejoin you within few moments from death.
When your dog dies you will have to fulfill some condition in order to resurrect him.

Since mercenaries are just hired guns they should not work like this. Buy maybe some unique companions (dogs, enslavable creatures or slaves) could work this way since you are their master and they have to obey and learn from you.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:30:41 am »

Maybe dogs will be able to sniff you out when you die (and they, for some reason, don't), but resurrection? I don't think so.

Also, how do dogs give a "penalty to PE in encounters"? What do you mean by that? As Crazy said, dogs do already have high outdoorsman.

it's only 14% according to the wiki.
I think those are talking about the dogs you find if random encounters, which is different than the mercenaries.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:05:20 am by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Parowooz

• Maximum Pain
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:37 am »

Since companion's outdoorsman already affects the leader it should be easy to implent. Just raise dog's outdoorsman to like 120%, it's only 14% according to the wiki.
Developers, developers, developers, developers...

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »

Good one.
Raise dog's outdoorsman and perception (cautious nature?) +1 (maybe not 120% to a 1lvl dog if they will be able to level up)
give a dog ability to level up +1
give a dog ability to stay with you after your 'death' +1 (even though it wouldn't be much of a use as whatever kills the PC will in most cases kill the dog too)
dog's resurrection -10 (ok, respawn is unavoidable in case of players, but making a barking christ would be going a little too far)

Oh, and one more thing - when this whole Scout profession will be finally done (when?), then scouts should be able to tame wild dogs, just as everyone else can tame brahmin. Yes, profession bonus only It is ridiculous that ALL the professions are based solely on crafting, never giving any additional skills or opportunities (like, 3lvl scout could be so good at training dogs that he would be able to sell them (order them to follow a new master)

Sorry for this scout off-topic, but I feel that there is so much opportunities that devs could implement to enrich this game with more goals and challenges...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:54:48 pm by DrapiChrust »
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:48 pm »

To the matter of resurrecting dogs.

What if your dog had offspring and you could buy one of it's whelps if it dies (and only then)? Depending on how many lvls dogs would have, the 'new' one could start with your dogs lvl -1 or -2 or whatever. So you wouldn't loose its progress unless your dog dies 5 times in a row or sthing like that.

Oh, and also, could we have those please?  ;D

Shit-shovelling services around the clock, 24/7

Kharaam

• Spartan Pigrat
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 01:48:27 pm »

I like the lower picture...

However, idea of breeding dogs? Well I don't really like it, every gang would have one Super-Dog (lvl 21) they would borrow it and get Super-Cubs, which would effect in everybody possesing an equivalent of 120% outdoorsman, therefore making this skill useless.

Blubber we miss You!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 02:08:43 pm »

No, that's why I said you could only buy it when you die. And you wouldn't really breed it. And it selling it could be forbidden, too (although raising dogs could be an interesting 'profession'.

Anyway, you would just HAVE the dog and when it dies, you and only you would have the possibility to buy another dog on a lower level, but not on the lowest. That way you wouldn't have to raise it from zero. The offspring and whelp thing was just a plausible excuse to do this. It's better than having your dog resurrected. As a penalty for losing your dog, the new one could cost more than the first one.
Shit-shovelling services around the clock, 24/7

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 02:26:03 pm »

Guys you have 0 imagination  :o !

Even tho I would like having companion which would not suffer from perma-death its still possible to implement "ressurection" idea otherwise. You buy/tame a dog at X lvl. When you die, dog will find you. When dog dies you will remember its level and second time when you buy/tame dog, you will be able to get dog at greater lvl because during the time dog was with you and lvled up, you learned how to treat him => you know how to handle more dangerous dogs.

So in practice it would be something like this:
I hit lvl 12 and I have some spare cash so lets buy a dog. Dog is at lvl 3 when I buy him. I will lvl up with my new companion. I'm lvl 16 now, dog is lvl 9. Dog dies. I go to dog salesman that I want new dog. He offers me larger scale of dogs with various levels and price but non beyond 9th lvl. I buy one and I repeat circle.

This way there could be scouts with really dangerous companions. Buy there is a problem, companions die fast. I think there should be some kind of a survivability boost for dogs if they should be able to level up with player.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.