Author Topic: Exports from Van Buren.  (Read 30978 times)

Offline Gob

• The Good
Re: Exports from Van Buren.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 05:28:17 pm »
If somebody is up to somehow getting somekind of tools, then yes. Otherwise - no.

Or use the fonline engine for it.. we could have 3D enviorments and it would make the game even more open for modders.                                                                                                                   

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 06:32:10 pm »
Or use the fonline engine for it.. we could have 3D enviorments and it would make the game even more open for modders.                                                                                                                   
This is analogous to how to re-build the great pyramids of Giza.
We know the architectural plans. Know how to use building materials and construction techniques.
But it will not have done ever.

Anyone who wants to do it - does not have the time, wealth, or power, and therefore not in a position to do so. The one who has the power, wealth, and time - has no desire, or just busy with other large-scale projects.
http://vk.com/vaultcrawl

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 06:37:36 pm »
That sounds like a plan. But I'm afraid the project might be too ambitious.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 07:21:10 pm »
Well sadly most things are in a state of pause so I feel 3D environment is a bit too ambitious.
Still these assets could be real useful, a few tweaking with a 3d software be it wings, blender, max or anything else we could produce quite a lot of new sceneries with ease.

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »
I think everything is possible to do but someone who really want make this is needed. Look at fonline - fallout 1 and 2 online, our dream has been made and still in development (TLA, 2238 and other servers). Only want we need is few people who can do it, have time and power and REALLY want.

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 07:31:12 pm »
The Van Buren engine, it is unfortunately a bit antiqued. Unity and FOnline are better suited now for this.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:56:19 pm by Horatio »

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 01:53:16 am »
You're not going to do it because of property things and lack of resources (not just art, acting, storylines, etc.)
Honestly there was not much for use, game story was pretty ridiculous when they unveiled it, and something was reused in newer games as well.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 02:34:56 am »
The Van Buren engine, it is unfortunately a bit antiqued. Unity and FOnline are better suited now for this.

van buren engine is the only engine i could think of which would have be the best engine for a fallout 3 title ...

unitiy is great too but its something different ... because the vanburen or jefferson engine would have be a real improvement to fallout1 and 2 style ... but its just my opinion

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »
From purist view, you may be right, I would like to see the VB S.P.E.C.I.A.L. System, too, but first, its property of Beth and still needs to be heavily overhauled. Replicating it with new features is the more comfortable solution.

Why didn't Mr.Cvetinsky modified Fallout engine for multiplayer?

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 08:55:14 am »
Why didn't Mr.Cvetinsky modified Fallout engine for multiplayer?
sometimes make from scratch is easier than to redo the existing

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 03:49:19 pm »
Exactly.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:29 pm »
Well, it is not only about multiplayer. With the FOnline engine, you can do pretty much whatever you want, unlike the Fo2 engine, which is hardcodet from a to z. It took years to get access to even just simple stuff... and this only via hooks and stuff into the engine with Sfall. So it's all nothing but some tricky hackery.

Simply the huge maps you can build in the FOnline engine just aren't possible in Fo1/2. Also editing the graphics - FOnline engine supports all kind of graphic formats, while Fo1/2 only eat converted frms with a limited set of colors, editing the sound, etc. etc. it is all so much easier and more convenient. Another example is the small terrain tiles. You don't have to use them at all. Nothing hinders you to just create a huge scene in a 3d programm, render it to 2d and put it into the game as is.

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 06:56:49 pm »
Listen to the man above, he knows about modding.

So if we'd decompile VB engine, we will still stand before a huge wall of tasks, we'd have to understand the foreign code from scratch and THEN, we could add new things.

Art is a different thing, though, even if i noticed that the VB art is somewhat bulky for Fallout scenery.

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 10:15:21 am »
If anyone is interested and wants to see the resources Van Buren near, here is a playable web-builds:

Character customization

camera control: arrow keys or WASD,
in the interface, press the arrow keys to select an item or a button with the name to remove the item.
build is based on Flash

A trip to the desert

Control: WASD and Space. build based on the technology Unity3d webplayer http://unity3d.com/webplayer/ because Flash does not support terrain

Generating random vault-map

Controls: Click the left mouse button on the floor or item indicates the place where the character should go. Movement of the mouse + hold the right button moves the camera. Mouse wheel changes the zoom of the camera. Left Control - activates a flamethrower. Left Shift: Increases movement speed.

ISOMETRIC button switches to the orthographic mode that is similar to the style of the classic series camera fallout. However, the shadow does not work in this mode and the light passes through the walls.
New Map button creates another level of the same size, but with a different arrangement of rooms and objects.

build based on the technology Unity3d webplayer http://unity3d.com/webplayer/ because Flash does not support some render features
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:57:05 am by xammurapi »

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 05:04:52 pm »
Nice! Technology these days. :o