Author Topic: Tiled Mapper Release  (Read 30189 times)

Re: Tiled Mapper Release
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 10:18:19 am »
Thats cool no decomppiling needed then.

Thanks a lot

Offline wladimiiir

• Rotator
  • Independent FOnline developer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 11:04:51 am »
Thank you guys. Impressive! :)

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 11:40:30 am »
If people are creating something with it, please share screenshots and stuff. We are interested to see how it turns out.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 03:25:49 pm »
For a first look, i must say - impressive.
Even if i just pressed some random buttons, since i haven't any experience in Mapper.

To save your time, i suggest you launch the mapper right in the repository folder, because it doesn't work in client folder, nevertheless what the guide suggest.
The map created with Tile Mapper should be placed into fonline_sdk/server/maps to be loaded. (Also, everything gets saved there)

Handy hotkeys:
Exit mapper: Shift+Esc.
Load:~filename(without extension)

Also, preset_cave.fomap is really worth a look in Mapper. And a little edit, too.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:57:11 pm by Horatio »

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 05:29:12 pm »
The map created with Tile Mapper should be placed into fonline_sdk/server/maps to be loaded. (Also, everything gets saved there)

Bad overview if you add more presets. You can just open it with ~presets/xxx not a big deal. Of course, you can also move the file to wherever you want and point the Tiled Mapper to that file instead. This is up to you.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:31:42 pm by Lexx »

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:18 pm »
I noticed something: avoid setting tiles close to the upper edge,

or else you get this in NW.

I guess it has something to do with the tiles design, because every other side is okay.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 10:01:08 pm »
You can resize the map. There should always be at least one free block for the edges. Just look at my example map in the first post.

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 01:37:53 am »
A nice tool... I'm really interested in development of this. Remember RA2 and AoE level editors?

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 02:24:28 am »
While this is a nice idea and timesaver, the results look unfortunately much too unnatural and sterile for me. Maybe it's because the scenery is yet to be placed, but most of the time it looks more like a man made squarey abd blockey maze than a cave. I'll rather map them manually, even though it takes a bit longer. ))

Offline JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 08:27:19 am »
While this is a nice idea and timesaver, the results look unfortunately much too unnatural and sterile for me. Maybe it's because the scenery is yet to be placed, but most of the time it looks more like a man made squarey abd blockey maze than a cave. I'll rather map them manually, even though it takes a bit longer. ))

Partially it's because of not enough different tiles for each connection variant.
Right now many of the connection variants have just one, most simple/blocky tile.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 09:44:19 am »
Which is why we released our current template file. We won't be able to provide 100 new tiles in the next time if we work on it alone, but with the help of lots of people, progress obviously will be faster.

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 01:12:27 pm »
Right now it's all preset tiles, which must be preproduced in Mapper.
I think a more flexible way to place (wall) tiles would be a brush/drag'n'drop tool - this way you can bring faster more wall variations or a "lasso" tool you can make "islands/cliffs" with.
Take a look at this:
http://www.cncgames.com/maps_tutorials_cliffs.shtml

If one wants to drag a line from variating wall tiles, the preset consisting from such a tileset must be preproduced, though, as well as bends and edges presets.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 07:43:39 pm »
Well, we thought about it, but cave walls are not optimal for this. Also it is a lot work to create all the data about the interconnection and stuff. The main reason why we did the current preset system.

Offline Mr Feltzer

• FOnline: Australia
    • The Core Gaming Australia's Website
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:14 am »
Fuck, that is extremely impressive. If I was still working on FO:Aus, we could have done alot with this! Good luck to all those developers using this in the future! Im sure we will see a plentiful amount of maps now!
Founder of Fallout Online Australia

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 01:46:07 am »
Alright, this is a great tool and I enjoyed playing around with it, thanks alot for the upload.

I took the cave tileset and used it for orientation to create a simple vault tileset. I only used to basic vault tiles and walls without any variation because I think randomization looks bad in a vault. With the basic outline done it's not too much work anyway to put in the extras. After all, that's the fun part.

Here are 2 example screenshots.

here's the preset file, feel free to alter it any way you want.
http://clip2net.com/s/2oQdn