"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 25, 2024, 09:11:31 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gamers, more mainstream? or more open to alternative game mechanics.  (Read 1890 times)

This is a philosophical discussion about what modern gamers are like, keeping in mind that never in the history of mankind has there been as many people on the face of the planet as there are now ( which should be factored into how many kinds of players play what kinds of games )
nor has there been as many games available despite the fact that a lot of them are the same.

Do you think modern gamers are into more ''mainstream'' games? ( for example your typical MMO where you start of fighting things that are barely a threat to you, the quests are linear and easy to understand so players do not get lost)
AND do you think there are more players ( simply because there is a higher population) than ever before that are into mainstream gaming.

Do you think modern gamers are more open to alternative game mechanics ( for example games like fonline where there is open PVP, you can go where you want, do what you want, there is no predetermined fate for your character, or any other such open ended style games/mmo's etc)
AND do you think there are more players ( again because of the population) that are open to such games, and maybe even prefer such games?

Personally I find it funny that the biggest games on the web are your typical cookie cutout MMORPG'S and first person shooters, people seem to like starting out super easy, having one obvious direction to go to ( ie not much decision making ) and GRINDING GRINDING GRINDING,
to level up their character ( or in the first person shooters case earning money to buy better weapons, instead of simply having a balanced weapon system).
 I think there is a big confusion over what players really want, do people truly like killing the shit out of the same things with the same spells for hours on end before they are given access to more interesting skills/weapons/quests/monsters etc?
If I see an mmo video where players start out killing racoons, spamming their one attack over and over, and the exp bar barely moves, I am immediately disgusted, and yet these games have thousands, if not millions of players.

Bud despite all of that are players more open to alternative or hardcore game mechanics?
Is there a bigger contrast of players in the gaming community?  or is it all falling towards one  direction, and style of game?

Surf

• это моё.
Re: Gamers, more mainstream? or more open to alternative game mechanics.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:24:35 am »

The bigger contrast between the different gaming types is only more jarring and more open to see because more and more people play videogames, compared to, let's say 1995.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 02:22:13 am »

MMO's use grinding to stretch gameplay indefinitely to increase profits, the trick is striking the balance between time/reward.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 03:41:26 am »

Which they fail at because most mmo's bore me to tears for said reasons.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:51:19 am »

What I've seen is the so called "RPG"-element forced into so much games. You can level up, find items and develop your hero/team through the game, even if it is just a simple shooter that don't really needs it.
I think the main reason is to give the player a feeling of progress or even give him a goal. Remember those games you played for fun? Nowadays I play a new game and the first thing that comes to my mind is that I need more levels and better equipment. Sometimes that fun too, but sometimes (especially in multiplayer) I hate it. To grind XP to have the same possibilitys as that 12 year old, who is playing the game 24/7, is just stupid. Competive games should be about skill and tactics, not who has spent more time with the game.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:37:50 pm by Andr3aZ »

Gob

• The Good
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:39:11 pm »

I can't remember the last time when I played a good game... seems to me that every time a game comes out its even more bad than the last one. I just can't enjoy playing games anymore. I guess its part of growing up.

Bego

• Kill the men, rape the women, eat the children!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:27:39 pm »

Same here, Gob. In my case, no matter how good the game is, somehow I can't force myself to play it, not anymore... I guess main and probably only reason why I stick to 2238 is that it's, well... Fallout.
SECTION 8

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 10:56:56 pm »

I play some new games and rarely finish them. It's not like they are bad, but new games don't surprise me where as old gems that I didn't previously know about get me hooked much easier. Maybe it's because I'm kind of a geek, but hey, some genres are nearly dead nowadays. Really, think about it. Strategy games, space sims and actually any kind of games that require more thinking than just holding down the primary attack button don't really exist in the last 3 or so years. Sure, there are exceptions but I'd definitely would like more of such video games.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:12:06 pm »

I either get relatively hooked in the first hour or I get hooked and finish that shit like a boss.

that's all for me.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 23 queries.