"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 20, 2024, 06:13:09 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Hub RPG - canceled  (Read 15956 times)

JovankaB

Hub RPG - canceled
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:51:14 am »

Project canceled.

This thread is created to comment the Hub RPG system (rules/setting) while it's developed.

This project will not start before the end of summer. I don't know when it will start.

Please wait with new characters, background stories or any activities in game made
specifically for this project. There might be official topic for this, but it won't happen
anytime soon. Because the project is in early conceptual phase, any characters created
now by players specifically for this project could be a wasted effort. Of course if you want
to do anything on your own now and simply join the project when it's ready, then great!

The system will be developed on http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/User:JovankaB page.
What I need is general  feedback about possible problems and solutions, ideas etc.

Please remember that we are limited to features that 2238 has to offer in the moment.
Do not propose anything that would require supervision or assistance of 2238 developers.
Do not harass any of the developers about this project. This project is my initiative.
I don't want anyone from staff who didn't offer a help to be harassed in any way.

Adding completely new maps inside Hub, eg sewers is impossible. Scripting and
automation is impossible. AI NPCs with new dialogs are impossible. Project must be
designed to overcome these limits. It must rely on clear rules, writing and cooperation
of players and GMs involved in the project.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 06:28:15 am by JovankaB »

JovankaB

Re: Hub RPG - Work in Progress
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:28:31 pm »

Please don't send general questions by PMs so I don't have to answer them 100 times.
Thx.

so would you like be able too own a store or something or just solely for rp??

In theory you could acquire and do anything with any building in Hub. But buildings in Hub would be
for rp characters running interesting projects, active roleplayers with well written characters etc.
For people who bring some VALUE to the town project. Still, anyone would be able to acquire them.
How would it work:

In the beginning all buildings would belong to characters controlled by GMs. The best rp characters
with their own projects in town could get a chance to have something tiny relatively soon, eg a tent.
It would be extremely unlikely to become owner of bank building for example. Player would have to
pull off something incredibly impressive roleplay-wise and project-wise in Hub to get a slim chance
for such building.

This comes with interesting problem what with NPCs. I wrote on wiki that they are supposed to be
employees of owner but this is bad if building could be closed for example. So perhaps they would be
just renting the building for their business and pay owner a fee like once / week. Player could decide
to send them to hell anytime, then GM would have to find them another place in Hub. But renting
space by the NPCs could come with regular profits so probably player would prefer to keep them.
NPCs could even move to whoever offer the smallest fee :P

Once acquired by a player from character run by GM, the building can be sold to anyone, however:
owners of buildings in Hub would be required to be active citizens in the town that do something
(not just idle in room with multibox). If it would be some taxi alt that does nothing, building would
be marked as abandoned (maybe GM would spawn some homeless people there :P) and soon
taken over by the estate agent or a completely new character run by GM.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:30:48 pm by JovankaB »

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:17:54 am »

The realestate sounds great!

I think you had mentioned hub police, possibly being played by GM's?

Would it be a possibility for players who prove themselves to the GM police to be deputized and perhaps help to enforce Hub law? Perhaps if they manage to knock a criminal unconcsious they could 'arrest' him (or have a policeman do it).

If so, what might then make that even better would be to have an organized crime syndicate or a or some sort of underground/black market organization (perhaps in Old town, centered in the building that has the basement level there) where players can also join up having proved themselves.

then there could be cat and mouse games between deputized players and criminal players.

The head of the crime syndicate (a Gm) could give the criminals tasks to steal things or whatever and then the (GM) Chief of police, having his ear to the ground, might have gotten tipped off and so tells his deputies to stay on the look-out in certain areas or to guard certain people etc.

It could even go so far as deputies getting paid off to look the other way :P

JovankaB

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:18:17 am »

The realestate sounds great!

I think you had mentioned hub police, possibly being played by GM's?

GMs and players. The plan is that players will have a chance to be involved
in town projects run by GMs just as well as in projects run by players.

Perhaps if they manage to knock a criminal unconscious they could 'arrest' him
This is interesting idea that didn't came to my mind. Arresting is tricky but I will think
how it could be used. It is exactly why I prepare this project in open right from beginning.
Thanks.

If so, what might then make that even better would be to have an organized crime syndicate or a or some sort of underground/black market organization (perhaps in Old town, centered in the building that has the basement level there) where players can also join up having proved themselves.

That's the plan. The underground part is much harder to develop properly though.
I don't really want too much GM control there.

The police/criminals would not be the central part of rp, just one of a few standard town
features that would be everyday bread. But some important rp events may involve these parts.
I want the town to have a kind of main storyline that would be changing the town for real.
The story would be pushed forward when GMs had time to do it, on more or less regular basis.
These things wouldn't be happening all the time but there would be results of these events.
Some results would be more visible and some other less. Some would be known only to some
characters and some other could change town in drastic way.

GMs would try to incorporate players with the most dedicated characters into the events,
at least in some parts of the story. Or even the whole projects run by players. The characters
could influence it, but some things would be hard to stop and would require cooperation
from many players to change how the events go. Some things would be inevitable.
Of course they could always opt-out, in the worst case by leaving the town.

This is very ambitious and bold idea though, the result may be big a huge fail :P

It could even go so far as deputies getting paid off to look the other way :P

Yes this would be possible. Finally someone is starting to get what I have in mind.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:40:35 am by JovankaB »

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:06:54 am »

This is very ambitious and bold idea though, the result may be big a huge fail :P

It is ambitious and it may fail but i'm certainly glad that your giving it a chance to succeed!

another idea I just had would be to orchestrate a "zombie attack" (has this happened before?) on the city at some point, this may be a little outlandish but basically it could work like this;

A plague breaks out in Necropolis because of all the rotting flesh that inhabits it. It basically turns all the ghouls ferral and also makes them contagious so they are, for all intensive purposes, ZOMBIES!

In search of fresh meat they migrate in force to the hub from where a breeze has brought them the sent of human flesh!

Now they flood into the streets of the hub in great numbers where the citizens must fend them off, they are slow and have no guns so it seems like an easy task at first but if they hit (bite) you, even just once, you contract the plague and soon become one of them, doomed to walk slowly towards those who were once your friends and make them as you are now!

reminds me of the time I tricked one of my friends to walk into a magic pool which put him under my control (as GM), then I let him play out his character for the rest of the game under the condition that he was to be evil... good times :P

Edit: I realise this one sounds more like an unrelated stand-alone event, but I think it would be a lot more fun if it happens when there are actual hub citizens as opposed to some random event that takes place on Hub island...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:30:53 am by jonny rust »

JovankaB

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:10:20 am »

Edit: I realise this one sounds more like an unrelated stand-alone event, but I think it would be a lot more fun if it happens when there are actual hub citizens as opposed to some random event that takes place on Hub island...

Yes as long as it will fit in the setting/theme, there might be standalone things, large and small scale,
even as small as made for one specific character. The town is supposed to be detailed environment for this.

But this will depend on availability of GMs and their willing to participate in the project.

Please remember GMs here are pretty much just player support and occasional entertainers.
I would like this to change a bit and I will try to start with myself, but in the end it's not up to me.
There are many reasons for this, also technical that can't be overcome easily.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:32:16 am by JovankaB »

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:27:27 am »

Ok, I feel like I'm spamming you now... but quick question,

How will notice boards work once the RPG kicks in relative to now?

Will characters be able to post thier own notices under any circumstances?

JovankaB

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:42:01 am »

Not sure yet, but probably there will be a forum thread representing town's notice board.
Players would be asked to stick to the no-OOC rule in the thread (except time/dates) and only post notices.
Notices could be created in graphical form but it would not be required.

You could still create notices as separate forum threads if you needed feedback etc.
There would no special rules there, except standard forum rules.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:55:46 am by JovankaB »
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:16:28 am »

Just a few things.
First I like the idea it sounds good. Though I think the no ooc at all maybe not the greatest in case  new player appears there and has no idea what to do after all its a place where new characters appear after registration.
The real estate idea sounds nice even without the rent paying NPCs in my opinion, though it sure gives a push to some to keep interest in staying there and keeping the property.
A little idea for the underground/criminal sides, the Hub is part of the New California Republic therefore slavery is outlawed there (yeah we can sell slaves at Shady Sands but thats outside the gates) so I think that slaver characters could get some nasty looks from the law keepers and some town folks (players). I have a few ideas toward this. Like making the selling of slaves prohibited in the governed areas of the Hub.
On the idea of thieving I like what you wrote at the infos. I would add that the player shouldn't accuse the thief for stealing till his character spots him. The turn around and saying something toward the thief sounds good though since although the char doesn't know but can suspect.
On the Cyrillic names well a lot of player speaks Russian only I wouldn't ban them from entering.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:40:00 am »

In TSRP they had a map with many houses and buildings. Players could aquire those buildings when forming roleplay-organizations, f.e. police-building was owned by police faction, warehouse was secret hideout for mafia etc. Or you simply had enough money to buy an appartment or house.

Then, only people with keys could open doors of those buildings. Except if they had lockpicks *evil grin*

I'm excited how your real estate system works on FOnline, I see a bit familiarity and I can tell you this system will surely be motivating for roleplayers :) keep it up

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:42:29 am »

thi is a great ideea, good thing you became a GM again Jovi

i might participate to this, will try to work for the comunity

still a few questions:
1. about real estates, are the containers locker or everyone can check your stuff?
2. if i work for a house owner can i have my own room?
3. are animals alowded in the house(cows and dogs)?

JovankaB

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »

1. about real estates, are the containers locker or everyone can check your stuff?
It will be possible to lock any container or door in your property and get a key.
This will be done by a special character controlled by GM, probably the estate agent to keep things simple.
The agent will require a fee, depending on complexity of the lock and your relations with him.
There will be no unpickable locks though, I must test what's the max possible complexity.

2. if i work for a house owner can i have my own room?
It's a contract between you and the house owner, there will be no town rules for this.
Possibilities are limited by player imagination. It's in your interest to have some proof
that the owner allows you inside but it won't be required. If you are in good relations just
asking the owner to inform police that you are allowed inside should be enough. Remember
criminals can try to trick people into believing that they can enter while owner is away.

It will be possible to get additional keys or change locks if you contact the estate agent,
only on request of the owner of course and for a fee.

Removed doors will be implied contract that anyone can come inside (but must do as owner
says inside). Maybe there will be some additional item or green light at entrance to mark
such places.

3. are animals alowded in the house(cows and dogs)?
It's up to the owner. It's private property with very few limits and basically anything that
is allowed on a street will be allowed inside (or even more) as long as the owner agrees.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:59:16 pm by JovankaB »

Wieprz

• Wieprzem Być
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »

will be there possibility of working for someone? like guard of caravans? standing near shop and keeping the troubles off? i would like this just beacose it brings hell of RP to everyone...imagine an player wich must Drive off Drunkyard who want enter the bank with weapon! cant hit him - since he didnt do so/ cant insult him - since its not well for the bank
*Kwiiiiiinnnn!!!!*
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 05:41:54 pm »

I think the current discussion shows that there is at least some form of demand, enthusiasm and great ideas for this.
If the alternative is doing nothing, the attempt alone to do something like this is already a big success.

First I like the idea it sounds good. Though I think the no ooc at all maybe not the greatest in case  new player appears there and has no idea what to do after all its a place where new characters appear after registration.
New player can't even get in out of the gate and from what I understand, there are ways to ensure this. So there would still be Junktown around and maybe it is even possible to remove the Hub spawnpoint. I'm sure we can work towards new players getting a somewhat smooth start even without the Hub being available.

A little idea for the underground/criminal sides, the Hub is part of the New California Republic therefore slavery is outlawed there (yeah we can sell slaves at Shady Sands but thats outside the gates) so I think that slaver characters could get some nasty looks from the law keepers and some town folks (players). I have a few ideas toward this. Like making the selling of slaves prohibited in the governed areas of the Hub.

I like it. Great topic to improvise minor incidents on, too.
I'm not sure how the Hub's stance on those (and NPC followers in general) is, but maybe mutant and ghoul followers could spark similar tension (or probably a bit more than tension in the case of mutants). Could easily see the case of a player fighting (verbally) for the rights of his trusted mutant sidekick in the face of rejection.

will be there possibility of working for someone? like guard of caravans? standing near shop and keeping the troubles off? i would like this just beacose it brings hell of RP to everyone...imagine an player wich must Drive off Drunkyard who want enter the bank with weapon! cant hit him - since he didnt do so/ cant insult him - since its not well for the bank
Depending on how picky you are regarding your employer, I can almost guarantee something at least similar is going to be possible, if I understood the premise correctly. I know of at least one roleplay business that I'm somewhat sure is going to jump right into this and I think ideally players would want player interaction here and would want any little project/idea they bring in on their own to grow and contribute. Though the real estate idea is just a rough draft from what I understand, I would not be surprised if we saw players opening up offices for whatever service they want to offer. Depending on the playerbase we'll have at that time, there may even be demand for people who want to keep an eye on a shop as an employe in order to establish longer opening hours and more of a presence in what hopefully could become a mostly player driven economy.

Apart from that I'm a bit short on ideas at the moment. I think a lot of what would and wouldn't make sense will depend on the town story, which player roles will have an impact and to what events player interactions would lead. The place has a ton of potential.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:53 pm »

I hope ben kain comes back, he'd could set up gorgon office somewhere in hub.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 31 queries.