"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 04, 2024, 07:16:21 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: NPC Taxis  (Read 909 times)

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
NPC Taxis
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:04:17 am »

From what I've gathered, the reason the train does not go to Klamath or Modoc is because building a train in an unguarded town would be too risky. I guess this is what the caravans in most towns are supposed to be, but why not have NPCs in each town that will take you directly to some towns for a price? They could be a little slower than the train, but if players can have vehicles like hummers, why couldn't merchants and other people in the wasteland?

So, for example, from Klamath there's three NPCs who will take you to SF (300 caps), to Modoc (100 caps) and to VC (200 caps). (Prices and towns are all examples, but it seems like adding every single town to the lists would take a lot of work.)

They could even take you to and from semi-secure areas outside of towns (like train stations) that would have a few merchants, more "taxi" NPCs and a few guards (but not many so the danger of the north is maintained) or even have the caravan members themselves be the very weak guards.

From a realistic point of view, we can say that the groups of merchants in the north, unable to secure the towns themselves, have unified to give themselves secure places to trade, travel and rest.

Edit: Thinking about this more and noticing people complaining about the north being unsafe, this could finally bring life back to the towns. Instead of making the towns safe and giving PvP areas, make these places safe and the towns remain to be PvP. What remains in town could be important strategic things, like profession masters, quest NPCs and NPCs who sell things like detonators and uranium. When taking a town, the controlling faction can also control the mine if the town has one and set it to a) warn and then attack all but reigning faction members, b) attack only enemy factions c)allow free mining with hired NPCs as regular guards.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:10:59 am by Gunduz »
Re: NPC Taxis
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:57:18 am »

I think it is not important, as each faction have enough taxis.
I suggest topicstarter  to join some gang.

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:11:59 am »

I think it is not important, as each faction have enough taxis.
I suggest topicstarter  to join some gang.

So why ignore this if the only players it hurts are solo/small groups? I'm in a faction. That's irrelevant. With your logic, the trains are useless because every faction has a taxi alt and everyone who complains should have to join a faction.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:38:58 am »

Don't listen to him. If it's not free then it's bullshit and he has an alt for it.

I think it's a good idea. Not really sure if making it a safe spot is the best choice, but it'd be nice to have an NPC with 120 outdoorsman guide you along his own path to a town you select. And prices shouldn't be steep. The highest should be maybe 500 caps for a trip from Hub to Klamath.

But then there's the problem of what happens if he dies. Obviously, getting your caps back from his corpse is a bad idea, and then you'll be stuck halfway there if not closer..
<Izual> Let's crash server

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:14 pm »

But then there's the problem of what happens if he dies. Obviously, getting your caps back from his corpse is a bad idea, and then you'll be stuck halfway there if not closer..

Why can't we just assume he's a great driver and in his hummer you don't run into any encounters?

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:01:42 pm »

Why can't we just assume he's a great driver and in his hummer you don't run into any encounters?

Because that would be like teleporting with channeling time. I would like more active caravans that actually travel in order to trade with cities and possibility to join them as guard (you will get paid) or random traveler going same direction (you will pay).

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:37:10 pm »

Because that would be like teleporting with channeling time. I would like more active caravans that actually travel in order to trade with cities and possibility to join them as guard (you will get paid) or random traveler going same direction (you will pay).

I'd love to see caravans working too, but they've been present in the game as far back as I can remember and have never been fixed. If there was some change in that, I'd be ok, but in the seven or eight months I've been playing, nothing has happened. And with the train added in the south, I feel like there should be something in the north, and caravans would be appropriate to continue that feeling of danger.

About not having safe spots, compare the situation to players. Most people are sick of being murdered for absolutely no reason while they're trying to go about their daily business. And we don't actually live in this world. If the same were happening to merchants and their livelihood was threatened, I see no reason why they wouldn't unite and do something about it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 17 queries.