"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 04:22:07 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Determine combat mode when location is entered first time not when it's spawned  (Read 1099 times)

JovankaB

I learned that players often get confused by this (and call GM for help, trapped in TB combat).

I believe that most players expect that the combat mode is determined in the moment when they
enter a location first time. However this is not what happens. Combat mode is determined when
the location is spawned.

For normal encounters it doesn't matter, because location is spawned right before player enters it
- so there is no difference in this case. It makes a difference in case of quest locations.

Quest locations (like straded rust ship, railway gang camp etc) are spawned when players talk to
a quest NPC, in a different place on world map, and often long before the player will visit the quest
location. So it's a bit counter-intuitive, especially if someone does a quest first time or switches
combat mode often.

Therefore I suggest to make combat mode in quest locations to behave in more intuitive way and
set it when player enters the location.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:35:42 pm by JovankaB »

This sounds good. Even I had times when I was surprised that the location was in rt/tb cause I forgot to set it to the desired one.

I learned that players often get confused by this (and call GM for help, trapped in TB combat).

If it's worth anything I'm sorry about that. :)

This is actually must to do.

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god

Therefore I suggest to make combat mode in quest locations to behave in more intuitive way and
set it when player enters the location.

Define "player".
Games are meant to be created, not played...

JovankaB

Define "player".

First player character entering the quest location. Doesn't matter I think, because in practice only quest owner sees it.
GM-before-player visit is such a rare occurrence that it can be ignored in my opinion :>
If there is a party entering, then there might be needed a check who is the leader, I don't know.

I suppose quest locations would need some flag if they were visited already or not...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:40:34 pm by JovankaB »

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe

This would be quite convenient, agreed.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum

Yes, this would be very helpful and this is how I thought it worked in read the feature in the changelog. Anyway nice suggestion!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 27 queries.