"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 20, 2024, 05:55:53 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Battle of the Scribes #2!  (Read 7401 times)

Nexxos

• o_O
  • O_o
Battle of the Scribes #2!
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:13:50 am »

*NOTE*
There will not be any killing in the event, only writing! PvPers might not be interested!

"I saw his face when I entered the room. One could clearly say that he doesn't like visitors. That blue robe was somewhat confusing, but his eyes weren't blue, they were red. I began to think in what I had gotten myself into...

He's looking at me right now as I am writing my contest-text, I see his eyes, they are burning with passion, and not with wrath. After spending time in this small, library-ish room, I began to feel like I was.... home. Funny, even my tent doesn't seem to feel as strong as this place does. I'll finish this contest-text quickly now.

The other scribes present in this room aren't as intimidating as he is. The other scribes are calm, relaxed and supportive, but they don't show as much passion as the blue-robed man shows. Who is he? Why is he looking at *me*?"

A new topic in events sub-forum?? Amazing!

Since the original one was a huge success (not commercially, but the content is what matters), I've decided to make something similar, again.

The event isn't focused around killing and pew pew as most of the events are, it's about writing and storytelling. It is required from you to be able to write a good fan art story, focused in Fallout (or even FOnline: 2238 world, if you like) world. Having a good english skills is obviously a possible leverage over others, but an excellent story with a bit weaker spelling can still win the contest.

There will not be that much people participating, it will only make the event longer / you'll probably get bored.

How to participate?

Participating is a bit different also from the usual ones, you won't be gathering in vault 15 (or something), but instead of that, you will be sending me a private message with the following specifications:

- A small preview of your story, enough to make you earn a spot in the contest, but not telling much about the actual story.
- Why should you get to participate in the event?

But the holodisk is so dull, how can I write my long story in it?

You can use any 3rd party program for this. Notepad, word, IRC (IRC logs as story are not valid). As long as you are capable of writing the story elsewhere, and being able to copy it from there, and paste to the holodisk, everything is allowed.

when, when, When, WHEN?

(if) After getting enough participants, I will announce the date of the event.

Prices

First Place: A random blueprint of his choosing, winner will have to guess the ID from the list that will be given.

Second Place: 25 000 caps

Third place: Mystery crate.

Applying will close in 16.2.2012, make it fast! Applications sent after that will be ignored and not counted.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:15:52 am by Nexxos »
“And we passed through the cavern of rats.

And we passed through the path of streaming flamethrowers.

And we passed through the faction of the blind.

And we passed through the slough of swarm.

And we passed through the vale of tears.

And we came, finally, to the ice caverns.
Re: Battle of the Scribes #2!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:02:10 pm »

Are we allowed to use several holodisks or are we only restricted to the capacity of one holodisk, if so I'm going to have to cut down a large amount of words and characters.

Edit: Story finished and applied for entrance.
Will be fun and interesting to see the creative stories that players can come up with and show us their writing skills.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:44:04 pm by Simon »
Keep your head down, your eyes open and your mouth shut.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:26:55 pm »

Nice, I'm sure I'll spectate into it! :)

Alexandrite

• Never trust a Game Master with a big smile.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:06 pm »

This'll be fun, let me see what story I can come up within an hour... :)

May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:15:32 pm »

An event that doesn't revolve around random PvP ape killing, and massive amounts of Pew Pew?

/faith in wasteland restored

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:26:34 am »

I'm in.  Time I got back into my writing skills that always ended up failing because of bad story foreshadowing. :P
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:31:59 am »

I'm in.  Time I got back into my writing skills that always ended up failing because of bad story foreshadowing. :P

What I could see before, your writing was indeed very good. Keep on working on it and make an entry in the event! :)

I will see if I can test my own skills but I doubt it'll make a sharp cut amongst the native speakers. ;)
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:27:28 am »

Yep I'm postin' my shiz in here.
This'll be fun.

in Requiem, there is enclave, player driven faction. They have to gather, craft.. like everybody else, but they have special base and rank before their names. Their roleplay is based on kill everyone.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:50:38 am »

Competition against others who are native speakers and/or good writers will be tough, but I hope I can come up with something. Too bad I'm a bit busy these days but I will try, this is totally worth it.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:33:24 pm »

As a little help i wrote a small demo text. You can use this to test around a bit in first place (c/p on an empty holo-tape):

This text has exactly 2000 chars (including spaces), which is almost* the maximum number, which you are able to store on a holo-tape. This may also help you to compare it to your story and see if it has less or more chars.

* The exact max number of chars is somewhere between 2000 and 2010.

Ox-Skull

• TRH
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 02:53:46 am »

Entry submitted, waiting for confirmation.

Ox
Ranger of the Wastes. The Wastes still needs civilised people.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 01:52:57 pm »

Gah!

Just saw this and its my cup of tea!

Can someone tell me if the story should be 1st person (ie someone recording his thoughts/events) or 3rd person (general fact description) or is it irrelevant?

Also, how many words/characters are we limited to for the story and how many for the short description?
Strength through unity,
unity through Faith.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

Story done, here is small messed up pip boy oh no monty python and madskills preview.

Sorry, Nexxos, i send you full text, is it right ?

Let the Force be with You.

Gimper

• You gotta be kidding me... shoo shoo mighty hacker
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »

Nexxos, you said applying closes 16.2.2012. Which timezone is that? because right now is the 16th for me....  And I'm also waiting to see if i qualified or not.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22:21 pm »

The lost children have submitted there entry.
We are wasteland's 100% up-to-date manual. Find us if you need a hand.

Support the Maltese Falcon Open Mic Night!
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,25332.0.html
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 18 queries.