Author Topic: Default skin in 3d era?  (Read 21462 times)

Default skin in 3d era?
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:53:07 pm »
You know, maybe i'm rushing things too much... But what do you think, how should a default wastelander skin look like in 3d era?

I know, the appearance will be probably customizable from the scratch, but how about that clothing you wear while wearing no armor, like casually shoveling shit or being freshly respawned?

Right now we have a term called "bluesuit" - will it change to something else? Will we have traditional bluesuits or some wastelandish rags, tribal gear, pre-war underwear or will we be able to choose between them? Will there be hordes of almost naked miners running around unguarded mines or will there be uniform type of "naked" clothings, like some dirty old jeans with white Tee?

That's some questions to the topics like taste, 'realism' and freedom of choice. What do you think? Let's discuss.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
Re: Default skin in 3d era?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:36:30 pm »
Bluesuit - No. Not everyone here comes from fancy vaults, shmaults.
Underwear - Umm... a little ridiculous, isn't it? Naked HtH trolls running around in swarms... Nope...
Tribal gear - should be an option (so we have the chance to roleplay a tribal and other non-sense).
Wastelandish rags - more like it. As far as I remember Lexx stated that bluesuits should be eliminated and should be replaced with something like this.

Character customization highly wanted.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:23:13 pm »
It's good to think about this kind of thing - if there is an agreed decision, people can start working on those clothing textures now :)

Anyway, it's all stuff which can go on a base texture layer, so no models - so I suppose any clothes which can be painted onto the base model, according to the subsets. Personally I'd imagine as you said, tribal stuff and "wastelandish rags", possibly with the addition of "generic civilian clothes" in various colours. I'd imagine things in similar colours to the general npc clothing (i.e. green shirt and brown trousers, red shirt and blue trousers etc), except with a little more variety in colour and style. Remembering that they have to fit to the shape of the base human model, this probably means no jackets, but a range of shirts and trousers (or vests and shorts).

Also, I think everyone will always call them "bluesuits", even after they no longer actually are  ;)

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 02:09:23 am »
Have two/three options for each category, Vault attire, Wastelander, Tribal, Merc, etc.
All chosen on character creation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:37:38 am by Graf »

in Requiem, there is enclave, player driven faction. They have to gather, craft.. like everybody else, but they have special base and rank before their names. Their roleplay is based on kill everyone.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:56 am »
So far so good suggestions...

I was also thinking of spawning point depending on your choice of skin: if you select vault suit, you spawn near VC, some kind of miner attire: Redding, farmer from Modoc, Asian with Shi attire - San Francisco, etc. so one could ask what do one might do so far away from their spawning point - might be a RP aspect, i think.

Or this one could be made for the folks spawned in the North.  ;)
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:29:57 pm »
Since the game is a little too hard for newcomers, selecting faction at creation (with it usual bonus and malus) sounds like a good idea (with completely neutral survivor/wastelander option as well).
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »
Starting point colours would seem to make some sense. Mentioning factions - is it likely that gangs will want their own colour schemes to some degree? Obviously the number of combinations is limited, but we do have the layers to set a separate top half/bottom half of clothing if needed - so the same number of textures can be used, but combined in different ways. If so, I'd imagine the clothing layer being able to be changed (like in a barbershop), but also from Faction terminals.

Or this one could be made for the folks spawned in the North.  ;)

That's what happens if you pick Strength 10 :D

Seriously though, perhaps the clothing choice would be generated based upon SPECIAL and tagged skills, rather than chosen?

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:12:50 am »
I like that idea, let's do some tests to flesh it out though, what would you give a person who tags Energy weapons, doctor, and science?
Or, someone who tags, Big guns, unarmed, and melee?

Or should we create clothes based on only SPECIAL, and if that's the case, what would you use for each?

in Requiem, there is enclave, player driven faction. They have to gather, craft.. like everybody else, but they have special base and rank before their names. Their roleplay is based on kill everyone.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:38:00 am »
Personally I would make some old worn clothes as deafault like some dirty shirt and jeans. Similar clothes that deafault npcs have like bootleggers and homesteaders just with more variety.

Offline pistacja

• Ninja-Nurse
    • pistacja69.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:36:47 am »
Nude is always in fashion.
NPC at the respawn point can give some cloths for free (ranging from rags to bluesiut near vc, a 'I luv NCR' T-shirt near shady sands, or some tribal outfit out in the wild).
Going to a city nude will drop your rep... well maybe not in Reno, going nude to Reno could get you a job.

By 'nude' I mean in underware (until someone makes an optional nude patch).

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »
More about this "SPECIAL-as-character-look-basing-thing":
A succesful STR and END check causes character to have the Strong body type. If this check fails utterly, you get the weak bodytype.
STR/END check formula (rounding down):
(STR+END):2 = (8+10):2= 9 (Strong bodytype)
(4+6):2= 5 (Regular bodytype)
(3+4):2= 3 (Weak bodytype)

STR/END check formula based bodytypes:
more than 7 = strong character
From 5 to 7 = regular hero character
Less than 5 = weak character

Having high intelligence can show you are a former vault citizen, giving you a vault suit. Having high charisma can give you nice clothes, while having low charisma will end up having dirty rags (I hope clothing will be buyable anyway). Setting your character age 45 or over will make your character have -1 point towards the STR/END check. Having low perception may give you pre-war reading glasses (if enough INT). With having a tag in FA, doc or science decreases the perception check threshold (you can get glasses even with higher PE).

That's just my five cents.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »
Nude is always in fashion.
NPC at the respawn point can give some cloths for free (ranging from rags to bluesiut near vc, a 'I luv NCR' T-shirt near shady sands, or some tribal outfit out in the wild).
Going to a city nude will drop your rep... well maybe not in Reno, going nude to Reno could get you a job.

By 'nude' I mean in underware (until someone makes an optional nude patch).

problem is that at least 50% of the FO comunity is made of 11-16 years old

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 08:50:29 pm »
Why should a character who came from a vault be super intelligent? There were lots of stupid people in there, remember they are just "normal citizens" too who hide in a bomb shelter...

IMO - you shouldn't overcomplicate it. Make a standard "wasteland rags" model and give the players the ability to dye/colour their standard attire. If you feel fancy, go out and look for some new clothes/armors in quests and such. Making everything available from the get go is bad, making that stuff available through actual ingame content is better.

And yes, I would have said "make underwear default attire", but Lagmaster nailed it why this won't be a smart idea.

Offline pistacja

• Ninja-Nurse
    • pistacja69.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 10:12:53 pm »
Fallout 1:
ESRB: M (Mature)
USK: 16 (cut)
ELSPA: 15+
OFLC (NZ): R16
OFLC (Au): M
PEGI: 16+

Fallout 2:
ELSPA: 15+
ESRB: M
OFLC: M
PEGI: 16+

So it's ok to show people torn apart by a minigun burst, blown to pieces by a rocket, burned alive and having chunks of body ripped out. There are drugs, slavery, racism, nationalism, foul language ... and yet you fear that people in underwear is something not suitable for the young players of Fonline? Sick, sad world.

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 11:41:00 pm »
No, this is not what I meant. We have people with questionable mindsets in this game who will run around in underwear to troll people yelling shit all the time and do nothing but mischief. Do you really want to see this? Ofcourse it doesn't really matter, but it only adds ill to the already bad state of some playing sessions. Most of these characters are likewise controlled by rather young, teenage players (ofcourse there are exceptions). This is what I meant.

It was NOT meant as for "we must protect young players because it's so cruel!" ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:43:12 pm by Surf »