"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • March 28, 2024, 07:02:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The case of Adrenaline Rush - POINTLESS PERK  (Read 8284 times)

JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
The case of Adrenaline Rush - POINTLESS PERK
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:54:03 pm »

Sorry for the lenght of my post but I got an idea that I think is wonderful, and I want to make my point ^^
If you don't like long mechanics rants, just accept the simple fact that this perk sucks and go straight to the second part, where I propose something better.

1. Criticism of Adrenaline Rush

It is a defensive perk available on level 6, but at the same level there is a better perk available - Toughness.

Quick example, you have 240 HP and get shot 10 times with 20 damage. For adrenaline it's 10% damage reduction starting from half HP. For toughness it's 5% + 2 DT working all the time:

Adren.: 240, 220, 200, 180, 160, 140, 120, 102,  84, 66, 48
Tough:  240, 223, 206, 189, 172, 155, 138, 121, 104, 87, 70

How about larger damage: 4 shots with 60 damage:

Adren.: 240, 180, 120, 66, 12
Tough.: 240, 185, 130, 75, 20

Toughness wins. Notice that I chose value that end exactly in 50% HP for Adrenaline, to make it perform as well as possible. In reality it would be even worse. Also, if you have less than 50% HP in battle you would rather heal yourself as soon as you can, which would negate the whole perk again. ALSO, with bursts toughness would work even better thanks to DT. To make it even funnier, toughness has much smaller build requirements (4 EN vs 5 ST).

It's really hard for me to imagine a build that would take this perk. I have a tank doctor build with no combat abilities whatsoever, only made to run around, troll and survive as many shots as possible, and I would not take it! There are better options for tanks. At level 9 there is another, even better Toughness perk available. And from level 12 there are Lifegivers. At level 24 there is so many good perks available that I doubt anyone would take this.

Ergo: in the current form this perk is completely pointless.

2. Proposition for something better

Of course you could try to fine-tune this perk to make it worth taking for someone, but I would like to propose something that IMHO is much more interesting idea than yet another perk with a simple DR bonus.

First of all, what is adrenaline - it's a hormone responsible for FIGHT or FLIGHT response. I checked Wikipedia, and it is a pretty damn awesome thing. It increases heart rate, respiration, it acts on nearly all body tissues to mobilize all the energy you have left and makes you a hero for a short moment. It lets you do things that normally you wouldn't be able to perform.

And how does it work in CBT (from what I know)? It works like additional shitty armor available when you are half dead. Hardly exciting.
Probably a better name for such perk would be "Please don't kill". Definitely it is NOT this.

Hold on, we are getting close to the point.

What are the effects of fight-or-flight response? There are many, among of them:
 - Acceleration of heart and lung action
 - Liberation of nutrients for muscular action
 - Constriction of blood vessels
 - Shaking

Sounds familiar?

What item in Fallout could cause similar effects?

Think people, THINK!!! :D

OK, some of you probably already know what I'm talking about.
If you don't know yet, here is the answer.

Proposed mechanics:
+1 AP when less than 50% HP
+1 more AP when less than 25% HP

And that's what true Adrenaline Rush should in my opinion be ^^
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:00:21 pm by JovankaB »

Solar

• Rotator
Re: The case of Adrenaline Rush - POINTLESS PERK
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:59:37 pm »

Adrenaline Rush is meant to be level 3 to make the tank perk "tree" AR, Toughness, Toughness, Lifegiver, Lifegiver, Lifegiver
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:01:18 pm »

Wait, so I wrote all of this for nothing??  ;D
Please read part 2.

I still think my idea is better/more original, though it wouldn't be in the "eat damage" tank tree, it would be what I think this perk was meant to be in Fallout.

With AR that tank tree is very long 6 similar perks for pure defense.
I still doubt anyone would take it. You have little HP - you heal yourself, you don't wait for a lucky escape with 1 HP left.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:09:44 pm by JovankaB »

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »

I was only wary about boosting AP because we'd only just nerfed Jet to stop people dominating through massive AP. We're definitely going into the wipe with perks how they are to give them a test, so we will see how this one goes -if it needs to change it can be done later.

JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:18:16 pm »

I was only wary about boosting AP because we'd only just nerfed Jet to stop people dominating through massive AP. We're definitely going into the wipe with perks how they are to give them a test, so we will see how this one goes -if it needs to change it can be done later.

That AP would only work in critical situations but in more awesome way than a simple damage reduction.

OK I think you will see the light when 95% of tanks will end up with weapon handling, because that's what makes much more sense for a tank unless you don't fight at all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:22:04 pm by JovankaB »
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:40:02 pm »

because we'd only just nerfed Jet

any info ?  im confused, on cbt (early stage) and in character planner its not changed

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:43:25 pm »

I did these perks a long time ago (these were the things I did straight after the last drug rework)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:35 am »

hmm...and what about brof and brd for ew ?

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 02:43:18 am »

hmm...and what about brof and brd for ew ?
They will be available.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

avv

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 08:51:56 am »

When designing a new perk it's best to think: "Would I take this" rather than "This is cool, someone will surely take it". I wouldn't take current AR or Jovanka's AR. The reason is that I don't want to remain at 50% hp, that's when it's time to take superstim. While at more than 50%hp the perk is useless, which is most of the time. So that's the core reason of why the perk sucks and will most likely keep sucking.

The health % should be something like 60 or 70 to make it worth it. Trading health for something else is okay and all, gives us more options ingame. But it could lead to players intentionally hurting each other to get the benefit.

This suggestion would help singleburster bgs: once you drop down to 50% hp, you instantly recover all your ap. Singlebursters have to deal with doubleburst enemies which basically defeat them every time because singlebursters recover ap so slowly. This change could save their ass in crucial situation.

Adrenaline Rush is meant to be level 3 to make the tank perk "tree" AR, Toughness, Toughness, Lifegiver, Lifegiver, Lifegiver

Nobody's gonna pick it anyhow. Weapon handling or quick recovery (once fixed) will be much better. I'd say majority of all combat builds will take weapon handling as level 3 perk. So AR should be so good that it can compete with that.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 09:05:22 am »

once you drop down to 50% hp, you instantly recover all your ap

And how would this work in turn based?

Wallace

• "Not a bug. It's a feature"
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 09:34:44 am »

How about giving back level 3 Stonewall to fill up that "tank tree"?

One way i see AR useful is +2 max AP when on 75%- HP

craft, Craft, CRAFT! (armors)
sometimes repair dismantle stuff
Roleplay!
...and most of all; DEATH TO NERFING!!!

pistacja

• Ninja-Nurse
    • pistacja69.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 09:45:07 am »

I would not take AR as it is now.
 10% DR when you have 50% HP is just not worth it. As avv wrote when you have 50% hp it's time to heal. So why not make AR a auto-heal-when-hp-at-50% ? It could work like a superstim but doing the same amount of damage it healed after 2 minutes. Until those 2 minutes pass AR can't  kick in again.

Just an idea for the next wipe ;)

avv

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:24:07 am »

And how would this work in turn based?

It wouldn't.

10% DR when you have 50% HP is just not worth it. As avv wrote when you have 50% hp it's time to heal. So why not make AR a auto-heal-when-hp-at-50% ? It could work like a superstim but doing the same amount of damage it healed after 2 minutes. Until those 2 minutes pass AR can't  kick in again.

It could even be temporary healt boost that kicked in right the moment health went to 50%. It would then get reduced after a while so that it's not real healing. Because otherwise people will be like: "herp derp, shoot me so I get free healz from AR" when they are at 60% health.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 02:59:16 pm »

It wouldn't.

It could even be temporary healt boost that kicked in right the moment health went to 50%. It would then get reduced after a while so that it's not real healing. Because otherwise people will be like: "herp derp, shoot me so I get free healz from AR" when they are at 60% health.
Ahhh sorta like beserk.  I'll clarify it in case others don't know what ya mean.  If you have 200HP, when you get to 100HP you gain 75HP, but it only lasts like 3 minutes and then you lose 100HP.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 22 queries.