"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:26:52 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 8-Band Radio Scanner...  (Read 1762 times)

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
8-Band Radio Scanner...
« on: November 25, 2011, 04:36:21 am »

Crafting: 2 radio + 8 eparts

Otherwise self-explanatory.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:38:15 am by Marko »
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.

Frenchy

• TSAR
Re: 8-Band Radio Scanner...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 04:52:51 am »

I want it !
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:59:24 am »

excellent idea!

Србин

• Проблеми?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:11:02 am »

De si Marko!
And yep, it's not gonna be implemented in any sooner time. Deal with carrying 8 radios, and not one for all.
Want a FREE Premium Minecraft account, without any surveys, and much more? Then click here: http://wamjelly.com/?ref=54859

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:47:08 pm »

you leave it on the ground in tent from all the factions you are in and you wanna base rape?

Marko

• Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 01:55:49 am »

Original suggestion is as a receiver only but i guess an additional radio item could include another column of ON buttons to make a multi-band transceiver too. Anyway, it's intended use is...

"To allow simultaneous monitoring of multiple channels duh."

So if your faction has a public recruiting channel, that could be channel 1. If your faction has a base-to-base channel for internal use only, that could be channel 2. Channel 3 could be your operation channel for "doing that one thing your faction does sometimes" (whatever that is). If you meet a new guy and you use a unique channel just for him, that could be channel 8. Meet another new guy, channel 7. Fill in the rest as you see fit.

Batteries not included. Some assembly required. Not intended for use in raiding bases.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 02:03:32 am »

I personally believe that the use of outside software like voice communication or IRC makes players use radio only for a few tasks, like sending signal to make a shared tent. I really like the suggestion, but I don't think many players would use that device, so working on such a feature would be seen as a waste of effort and time on something useless instead of working on stuff for the PvPiez.

But anyway, I will add my little idea - I'd like a feature similar to the following: the ability for factions to broadcast messages ("news", recruitment propaganda, whatever) on a special radio frequency. Something like:

When using a Radio you could press this button "Faction" and then input an faction name instead of a numbered channel. While holding a radio in this "mode", you would only be able to receive messages. Sending messages to these factions channels would only be possible from a faction base. Any character would be able to send messages from the base - so if the faction's main based gets raped, the instruders would be able to troll about it on radio instead of posting shit on forum.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:23:42 am by Eternauta »

Marko

• Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 02:24:07 am »

Understood. Voice chat software is far better. That's probably why i originally suggested it as a receiver only - because the in-game radios are fun as receivers. But...i'm in a faction that does not force the voice chat software issue as we have some key players on PCs that simply do not support it. Old/broken systems yes! But i would not want to lose those guys. So i know there are more people with the "i have no mic" (or sound card) problem, thus i present my own update to this:

And oh yeah, your Faction Name Channel idea is excellent! From a realism standpoint, it would functionally mean that factions could maybe "purchase" an in-game radio frequency (or some other way to monopolize a channel). The wasteland does not have an FCC (thankfully) so that would have to be reasoned out. The idea of using a scrambler might come up next - i would go for that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:53:57 am by Marko »
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 02:59:28 am »

If it's assumed that everyone uses irc or voice chat... wouldn't it make more sense to allow better communication within the game?  The "realism" argument is just nonsense really. The basic radio idea is pretty cool, but it fails quite a bit when you consider that to be a succesful faction you have to use third party software.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 03:22:46 am »

The basic radio idea is pretty cool, but it fails quite a bit when you consider that to be a succesful faction you have to use third party software.

Radios are indeed a very cool feature. About the idea that a faction needs third party softwares in order to be succesful, this is true most of the time. If you want to do something relatively big in this game, you need power. To have power, you need pals from big factions, so you need to have a reliable way of communicating with them - All big factions use IRC, Mumble, Teamspeak, etc. These means of communication allows you to get in contact with them quick.

When they go take a town they're connected to a voice communication software which gives them better organization. If you don't want to use voice communication while fighting against another faction, this difference will most probably get you killed.

When I say "something relatively big" I mean stuff like RP projects. These are usually only possible in unguarded towns because in guarded towns you will always get ultratrololololled by suicide bombers for example. And to keep a town you need a strong "military" (PvP) force to defend it against attackers. And for this force you need top gear like Brotherhood Armors, LSW's and a poopload of ammunition.

Big PvP factions have power so they end up being the ones who decide how the game is played. It's shit, it's sad, but that's just the way it is.

Marko

• Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 03:28:15 am »

I agree my friend. One of the reasons this is important to me is...i have had some non-voice faction members tell me how important it is that i constantly have a radio on me. Yet because they don't have voice chat, i would need multiple radios, not just one. That's because as a recruiter i try to stay on the public channel but to work with someone new (who is not yet on voice), i would need a unique channel just for him, and for my non-voice members, a channel for them. Then BAM someone wants to go hunting and i need a 4th radio? Crazy. So 1 radio to rule them all lol.

Okay this idea is shaping up a bit, at least in my head. Anyone with Science 40% can craft a normal radio with 6 junk and a workbench.

Radio #2 is an 8-Band Receiver Scanner
Crafting maybe: 1 regular radio + 8 eparts

Radio #3 is an 8-Band TranScanner
Crafting: 1 Radio #2 + 8 regular radios + 2 eparts
Requires: Energy 1

Radio #4 is the 8-Band TranScrambler
Crafting: 1 Radio #3 + 8 eparts
Requires: Energy 2

The idea here is based on Eternauta's post. If you can set up a faction terminal as a "Radio Server", then a Radio #4 device can be synchronized with that terminal to enable encryption on whichever channels selected (done at terminal). Flick a dip switch on the radio for that channel and now you talk in scramble/descramble mode on that channel. Only those people with similar syncing would be able to understand your transmissions when scrambled, and only if they have the same channel on scramble/descramble mode.

Yeah this leads to a bunch of what-ifs.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:32:28 am by Marko »
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 03:46:46 am »

Very good.

I wouldn't want factions to have a perfect channel no one else can ever find.

Scramblers are a workaround to allow factions to secure a channel that others may happen upon..

Descramblers should also be in. Descrambling should require special equipment (the best radio type plus other parts cannibalized and repurposed- voice module, computer parts, fuel cell regulator/controller and/or electronic lockpicks (reworked as a makeshift DSP), and so on.

The equpment would be operated using an average of Science and Lockpick and Gamble, plus Luck and Int (yes, those are already counted in the skills- I'm giving extra weight.)

This would be contested against the Scramble Strength- which would be the same Skills/Attributes as the decoder except using the stats from the one who set the scramble matrix.

Of course this just means Electronic Warfare Alts.

(Especially if we could hook up Motion Detectors to the descrambler or other reciever to triangulate coordinates.)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:51:00 am by Swinglinered »
I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 03:52:04 am »

I am not sure if you guys have understood my idea about faction channels - what I meant is that they would actually be "public" because anyone with a radio would be able to listen to it. It'd work like when you set your Pip-Boy radio in New Vegas to "Radio New Vegas" to listen to some news. Sending messages from normal radios would not be possible because it would allow a lot of trolling, which is in my humble opinion one of the reasons why radio channels are not being used for other activities apart from meeting up with someone via distress signal or trolling in radio 0.

Wallace

• "Not a bug. It's a feature"
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 06:06:58 am »

I love the idea especially after experiencing troubles with faction intergrity sometimes

That tool would greatly increase in-(and out)-faction communication  especially for some people who's PCs arent good enough to support multiple (or any at all) voice chats

Plu i concur Shonsu's point that the game itself should facilitate ingame communication as much as possible

craft, Craft, CRAFT! (armors)
sometimes repair dismantle stuff
Roleplay!
...and most of all; DEATH TO NERFING!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 09:46:27 pm »

It's not a bad idea at all. Sure a lot of us wouldn't get much use out of it, but as you have demonstrated SOMEONE would get use out of it.

As it stands now, I pretty much only use regular radio's for distress while farming, setting up tents, or to meet for a "pick up" so someone doesn't have to leave a car parked on the grid. Of course I also use it to hunt players, but everything good in this game seems to be a 2 way street. Take the good with the bad, or vice versa.

At the end of the day, I'm always strongly in the "FOR" category when it comes to more features, versatility, or items. 

This wouldn't replace Skype or Voice Chat by any means, but who knows - upon implementation surely a few players would find an ingenious use for it.
Iguana Pete's sister

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 26 queries.