"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • March 28, 2024, 02:25:53 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: New vehicle: Old Truck  (Read 17649 times)

New vehicle: Old Truck
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:16:06 pm »

I'd like to suggest a new vehicle: a truck.

It took long enough to learn how this could be made... So i'm proud to present you my work as a part of a suggestion.

Rather, than buying the vehicle, i'd propose a quest to obtain and transport the parts (which are already done) from different places in Wasteland.
This way, each vehicle could obtain somewhat unique look for its owner.

For now, following is done: two different cabins, one standard frame, separate wheels with axles, cargo hold, two different paint schemes and two different bumpers.

I'd like you to suggest where these parts could be obtained/scavenged.

The truck by itself can get two trunks, one let's say for equipment and weapons and another for ore and running on ethylene/MFC/wood.

What do you think?

Wasteland is a tricky business.
Re: New vehicle: Old Truck
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:35:21 pm »

i like the idea man, cool truck :)

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:47:02 pm »

It still lacks the "painted over" graphic style the original Fallout artwork has. Add some rust, some signs of decay. The green texture is a bit too vivid.

Other than that, I think it's a cool idea.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:05:23 pm »

Here, i dithered, darkened and posterized it. Under the harsh Wasteland sun the reflexions are common. At night, it's the moon.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:03:33 pm »

Really nice work again. Could you photoshop it into a Fallout screen so we can see how "in world" it looks? As far as I can tell now, it looks completely right.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:17:38 pm »

Sure, Luther.

In the night...

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 10:33:00 pm »

Wow. Might need a little tweaking on the colour (desaturating perhaps?), but I'm very much liking the look of this. The shape, angle and art style is all looking pretty close to my eyes :)

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:35:31 pm »

It's a bit too big. And as said, desaturate it a bit, and add rust/decay with some 2d brushstrokes.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:14:33 pm »

Smaller and little bit darker colors and it should be alright.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 01:09:30 am »

Colors are fine, but you better apply fallout palette, otherwise it will look too alien.
Size should be obvious when guy is nearly as tall as wheels. Also take note that big scenery would be isometric so huge object like that would need to be rendered in isometric projection, but it should be ok if you just resize it.

Shadow seems weird though.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 09:51:18 pm »

NICE

The first thing that came to mind as far as where to obtain the parts is scavenging vehicles in ruins (IE fuel cell controller simile), or possibly some small quests to obtain one of the parts or two.

You could always make a "broken down" version that is in some of the rarer maps that can be repaired with a high enough repair skill, tool, and the requisite parts.

Maybe a few new parts like an alternator, serpentine belt, ignition switch, etc. 

Something that awesome shouldn't be easy.

;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:53:32 pm by Wind_Drift »
Iguana Pete's sister

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 10:49:40 pm »

Yep, that could be done ;)

Shall i add a motor block?

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 03:41:50 am »

I love this idea. I agree with WD about finding some parts in urban areas where we already find certain rare things. I propose this outline about the "Build Your Big Truck" quest, which is activated once you [somehow] get either the chasis or the motor back to a tent or base:

Cab/Chasis
Tough to find: 7/10
Obtain a salvageable cab/chasis either by finding it in a rare urban random encounter, or by buying one when they are [rarely] available at certain vendors: the tanker in SF, that weird robed guy next to the Bazar at NCR, or some of the outdoor vendors who we normally ignore. And then, only through a dialogue option that you simply cannot see if you don't have this quest. Price: high

Motor/Transmission
Tough to find: 10/10
Obtain a salvageable motor/tanny...same as above. Price: very high
Requires: parts! parts! parts! + high repair skill + manuals

Wheels
Tough to find: 3/10
Obtain from T-Ray of course! But only when he has them, which is not often. Special dialogue enabled via quest. Price: varies.

Electricals
Requires: Science 100
Craftable:

Bed
Requires: Repair 40
Craftable: 36 wood + 18 metal parts

Body
Craftable: 36 junk + 24 metal parts
Other Requirements: Armorer 2

Sorry had to go - will edit this post later!
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 03:59:02 am »

Looking at the last picture by you Lizard, i think I would personally prefer if the front of the truck was the rusty redish color (just seems more fallouty to me than that green)
With the limit of followers going up would be nice if this had a very high person capacity (truck bed) Also, I'm assuming it's fuel consumption would be very high? (Possibility to improve it's fuel consumption could be another added part of the quest)
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 11:07:32 am »

That looks to be a plan, Marko!
However, one cannot stick a heavy frame in the inventory, so what about towing one with a brahmin to your base? So, you find the frame in a special encounter and the location becomes visible to re-visit once. You then go find a brahmin, (and eventually a tool set to fix the wheel if you haven't passed Repair skill or some faction mates with mad skills) use the dialog on the frame "NPC" to tie it to the brahmin, then it becomes technically a caravan, until you upgrade it somewhere else.

About fuel... How about this one? Wouldn't be a problem to model it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 18 queries.