Author Topic: FOnline: Battleground - new pure PvP server  (Read 29110 times)

FOnline: Battleground - new pure PvP server
« on: November 13, 2011, 08:46:47 pm »

FOnline: Battleground is a server based on UT-mod written by John earlier this year. Its purpose is to make a place for players interested in FOnline PvP only. Basically, you can jump into the action just few minutes after downloading the client, as all character's experience is given by an NPC and all equipment needed to fight is given by another NPC.There is also no need to set up any tournament, as the process is automated and the matches start on their own, as soon as there is at least one player in both teams. All players not involved into fighting are able to observe whole battlefield.

Game mechanics:

Server's basic mechanics (PvP, perks, traits, skills and items) are taken from FOnline: Wasteland 2155, with additional changes or significant rules:
- level cap = 21,
- players can have SPECIAL characteristics lower than 3 and will still be able to gain perks,
- no worldmap.. all takes place in a single map,
- no alt or duallogging limitations,
- no roleplaying rules apply,
- NameColorizing will colour fighters appropriately and automatically,
- members of each team, their frags and total frags are listed on the right and left side of the screen,
- no drugs, poison and radiation mechanics,
- Stimpaks and Super Stimpaks are given at the start of each fight,
- Super Stimpaks no longer cause damage after time,
- no ability to steal or loot other players,
- first aid and doctor cooldown duration changed temporarily to 60 seconds,
- hotkeys for body parts: Y, U, H, J,
- hotkey for reloading weapon: R,
- moving sandbags temporarily disabled.

Tournament mechanics:

1. The match will start if at least one player is present in both teams.
2. The match will last until only one team is alive on the battlefield.
3. After each match, there is a short break to rearm.
4. To leave the match, speak to the guy in black robes during the break.

Server's rules are simple:
- don't act like an asshole or you'll be banned,
- exploiting known issues will lead to a ban as well.

As the development of FOnline: Battleground has started just one week ago, you can expect many bugs and balance issues:
- holes in the walls, missing blockers here and there - the map will get improved slowly,
- some perks, weapons and such overpowered, while others - underpowered ,
- lag issues when something wrong is going on with the server machine or its connection, especially when too many players connect at once,
- if the terrible bug happens, the tournament will stop working and all is lost.

Known bugs:
- Namecolorizing your own char will work only after you make a quick logout and login. Nothing serious, I guess.
- FA and DOC cooldowns aren't shown correctly (or at all).

Nothing is guaranteed or offered, so you're playing at your own risk

The server will be down sometimes, you can check it's status here:
http://www.newfmc.pl/Fonline2077/status_battleground.php

Have fun!

How to get started:

1. Make sure you've read:
Official forum  <-- click
http://www.newfmc.pl/wasteland2155/board/index.php?topic=13.0 ,
http://www.newfmc.pl/wasteland2155/board/index.php?topic=33.0 ,
http://newfmc.pl/Fonline2077/images/2155perks.png
2. Download the client here:
http://www.newfmc.pl/Fonline2077/FOnline_Battleground_13.11.2011.zip
3. Put master.dat and critter.dat into your client directory.
4. Connect to the server: 2155.servegame.com, port 5000.
5. Register a new character and login to the game.
6. Speak to NPCs to gain experience and receive gear, then ask NPC in black robes to join one of fighting parties.
7. Fight!

Thanks to: all who deserve it or contributed to the server. Special thanks to John for his UT mod, all mappers working for 2155 as their work was partially used here, cubik2k for some additional scripting, Nice Boat for writing dialogues and Skejwen for drawing flags.

Future plans (if any):
statistics (kills, deaths, K/D ratio, matches played, won, lost and so on) shown for each player via www.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:37:52 am by Rascal_ »

Offline Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
Re: FOnline: Battleground - new pure PvP server
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:31:45 am »
Seems nice, will there be more content in the future ? (more maps, weaponry, perks )
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:36:02 am »
no roleplaying rules apply,

Outrageous.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:10:23 pm »
Seems nice, will there be more content in the future ? (more maps, weaponry, perks )

+new maps
+new PvE mode

about perks -> its complete balanced system now no reason to implement new perks
about gear -> rather not but its not for 100% (again balance)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:31:08 pm »

Perks - nope, we'll keep balancing the existing ones,
Weaponry - most likely yes (but only those from F1/F2), after the existing ones are balanced,
Maps - yes, but only one map will be running for PvP tournament at any given time, and map would be changed by: 1. automated cycle, 2. manually by admin, 3. players vote. Of course, new maps would have to be created first (only pure mapper work, no scripting required - I would deal with it).

PvE maps - no idea if it wouldn't create too much of additional lag. For now, any team camping one place too much will receive a pack of hungry deathclaws spawned straight on them. Fortunately, I haven't seen camping there so far, all games were fast and dynamic.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:49:38 pm »
I think Rocket Lauchner is still a bit OP
Avatar: Equality of rights for ghouls!

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:32:33 pm »
Yes, I agree. There will be an update soon, erm, today  :P It'll fix some bugs and make some adjustments to certain armors/weapons. There will be also some changes to sneak, as it seems pretty much useless atm. Changelog will be posted on our forum, so check it out later.

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 08:50:44 pm »
custom interfaces are ok?

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:09:45 pm »
probably not couse its a lot newer sdk revision that on 2238 now

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:36:40 am »
Looks nice, I am really looking forward on this
We’ve died a million times but we are not the walking dead

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »
Try setting the starting points in the left top corner and the right bottom corner.

Very nice in overall , but the full fov kinda ruins gameplay for me and i am not talking about the fps drop. I think i will never ever see fit to play like this , i can't find one good reason how full fov makes the game more strategic or competitive other than more lulz.

No hard feelings okay.

Offline Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »
I feel it the same, with this FOV, ambushes are almost non-existant. Moreover, I can hardly say whether I can or cannot hit someone due to low contrast of my display
Just saying.
Other than that, you guys really surprised me by the whole execution.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 04:30:07 pm »
This FOV system is great for such server. Just imagine how the fight ON THIS MAP would look with 2238fov style.
Whole gampelay would be a lot more about camping/keeping fov positioned, more chaotic also (accident runs into each other in those short spaces). With so much envoirment hideouts from enemies fov it would by a mess. Now its veeery DYNAMIC, u need to cooperate with ur teammates and stick together in order to kill and not get killed. Action is fast and brutal. Its not town control simulator (where scouting, keeping fov etc is important) its instant action PvP game.

Ur just very used to 2238 solution.

There were few occasions to play pvp mathes like 5vs5 on 2238 on modified klamath map (there were a lot of barrels putted in everywhere so map was working similar to FO:battleground one) and it was a blind game - u were running blind with ur team thru those barricaades and baam suddenly two teams run into each other - nothing really cool to play.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 04:34:50 pm by Rascal_ »

Offline Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »
Thousand people thousand opinions, I get it. We even had this kind of FOV on 2238 for some time. I personally think, it would be better without this all-seeing x-ray FOV.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »
Agree with Rascal about FOV.
Avatar: Equality of rights for ghouls!