Author Topic: 3D complaints / criticism / suggestions  (Read 16959 times)

Re: 3D complaints / criticism / suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 10:54:01 pm »
I like the idea of 3d, because of possibility of adding more animations. Before our few animators scream up in anguish "MORE ANIMATIONS?!!!", i'd say, it's up to the community to suggest and add new animations by themselves, like:

- drinking beer
- smoking
- injecting drugs
- brandnew martial-art-, melee weapons-, and gun moves
- new deaths
- skill-based weapon handling animations(critical drop of minigun by a noob, dealing spinning damage)
- critter anims: eating prey, critical attack animations, assault-type-damage animations (you kick rat differently than someone in the balls, rat responds like a football)

Take your pick or invent something completely different - it's not bound by being "not original-Fallout-looking", but your own will to create. But first, of course, the original anims must be done and i think Karpov and Luther are pretty left alone with this. Well, i'm doing my tutorial to change this.

@Luther in post below: Exactly! :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:39:19 am by Lizard »
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:45 am »
This is a good list, and I think ultimately they're all feasible, at least as far as the engine allows different actions for different objects etc. Also, I think new animations are probably much easier to do than replicating existing ones - you're not bound by trying to replicate something frame by frame, so there's a little creative freedom to use anything which looks about right - in a sense, the existing ones have only one "correct answer", whereas any additional animation may have ten or more "correct answers", if that makes sense.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 02:43:20 am »
Personally, I think it is more important to add the regular animations for each weapon in hand. What I mean is that you can open a door with your rifle still in your other hand, and not having it magically disappear, and reappear when the door is open. It is quite a lot, and I'm talking about regular animations only.
 One thing I've seen is that the VB critters limp when they are crippled, this is quite nice.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 03:31:23 pm »
Personally, I think it is more important to add the regular animations for each weapon in hand. What I mean is that you can open a door with your rifle still in your other hand, and not having it magically disappear, and reappear when the door is open. It is quite a lot, and I'm talking about regular animations only.
Opening door animation, why not?

One thing I've seen is that the VB critters limp when they are crippled, this is quite nice.
Now we're talking about limps on right or left leg with different weapons... or even pain-nursing left or right hand or holding a hand to crippled head. While it could be done, it needs a better workflow and more people involved, otherwise it would decelerate the process.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:37:14 pm by Lizard »
Wasteland is a tricky business.

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 10:18:37 pm »
there is one thing i cant stand
from vids i saw it seem there is completely no ...gore!
come on we all know its a fallout style to see terrible ways of dying ,blood and meat flying etc.

that seem to be undoable in 3d and for me its enough to hate that 3d era may come...
dlaczego muzyka black metalowa jest szybka?  bo gdy sie czlowiek spieszy to sie diabel cieszy :)

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 10:35:30 pm »
there is one thing i cant stand
from vids i saw it seem there is completely no ...gore!
come on we all know its a fallout style to see terrible ways of dying ,blood and meat flying etc.

that seem to be undoable in 3d and for me its enough to hate that 3d era may come...
I'll try to add bigger chunks of flesh and more blood drops.
Oh please, the whole animation thread is consisting of getting death animations meaty enough when a video or a discussion shows up about deaths.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »
I'm still working on that. There's blood and flesh flying , but somehow it is not visible. I will try to make them more visible, but that might require some extra polygons.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 11:13:05 pm »
ok i checked animations thread and all your vids karpov
must say theyr far better than i expected
but still its hell of a hard job to make gore look so juicy as in 2d
dlaczego muzyka black metalowa jest szybka?  bo gdy sie czlowiek spieszy to sie diabel cieszy :)

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 07:37:18 pm »
but still its hell of a hard job to make gore look so juicy as in 2d
No doubt. But I'm still planning on adding some stuff, I have some ideas in mind. There's a new video by the way.

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 07:30:58 am »
I vote when holding a 2 handed weapon you kick the door open

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 05:09:55 pm »

This.

Offline Opera

• Guardian
    • Nitue.net
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

I don't really get why we can't just make the animation same as now. It's not a big deal, if the weapon disappears while opening a door. Kicking a door open maybe looks cool in combat, but in any other case... stupid?

Additionally the doors would open wrong direction in some cases which would make it look even more weird.

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 06:28:11 pm »
I don't really get why we can't just make the animation same as now. It's not a big deal, if the weapon disappears while opening a door. Kicking a door open maybe looks cool in combat, but in any other case... stupid?

Additionally the doors would open wrong direction in some cases which would make it look even more weird.
Doors need to be reworked anyways. like the back door in modoc you can't click on from the outside, or doors that once opened you have to hunt out the one pixel for the door sticking out to close. I don't know about you but i kick open doors whenever i have my hands full (like if im holding dinner and a drink and need to get in my room)

Offline Opera

• Guardian
    • Nitue.net
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 06:41:41 pm »
Doors need to be reworked anyways. like the back door in modoc you can't click on from the outside, or doors that once opened you have to hunt out the one pixel for the door sticking out to close. I don't know about you but i kick open doors whenever i have my hands full (like if im holding dinner and a drink and need to get in my room)

Well, this could be easily achieved by making a button to highlight items and doors for example.

It never bothered me when the weapon disappeared while interacting with objects in the game. Also you wouldn't need to make 3D doors or draw more door animations just because of a character's door opening animation.

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 05:55:38 am »
Players are walking around with guns in their hands, they might as well kick doors open. You can always put your weapon away and open it normally.

We all know it would be badass, but Opera is also right that it isn't really needed. It's a matter of personal taste and if you want to stay true to door opening in original fallout. Personally, I don't care.

And even if doors would be kicked open, there would be no need for 3D animation of doors. They could have the 2D animation but with increased speed so it looks like it swings open from impact, or even normal slow door animation wouldn't be that bad.
It also depends on the type of kick.